autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Washing and Paint Correction on Truck/SUV roofs

Just out of curiosity, how are you guys washing truck and SUV roofs? Do you get up on a step ladder or work platform and use a wash mitt and just keep moving the step ladder/work platform around the vehicle? Do you use a boar’s hair brush or mitt on a handle? I got a boar’s hair brush to do just the roof and windshield on my folks’ two Honda CR-Vs and a Ridgeline, then I hand wash the rest just to try to make things a bit easier, but I’m not entirely convinced that it’s not scratching. To be fair, it is a Hi-Tech Industries Boar’s Hair Brush that I got from a local detail supply shop, not an expensive Montana Boar’s Hair Brush, so I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes. Seems to be well made, but…?

Which brings me to my second question. Since this is the roof we’re talking about and doesn’t get seen as much, do you really worry about how perfect it is? Is a little bit of potential scratching/swirling worth the convenience of a brush/mitt on a stick? Should I get a higher quality brush or mitt on a pole or just stick to washing the roof by hand? I guess I usually tend not to worry too much about the roof as long as it’s clean and protected, but I am curious as to what other people think. Thoughts, comments, and constructive criticism are welcome.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing and Paint Correction on Truck/SUV roofs

On a Honda CRV or Pilot, Kia Sorento, and simliar sized smaller SUV’s I use mitts while standing on a step ladder [1 on each side of the vehicle]

On bigger SUV’s like a Suburban or Escalade, or a lifted truck I use a soft nylon brush that’s intended for washing boats. I’ve never noticed it scratching but then again I never really cared to inspect the roof That close because afterall it’s a roof that nobody will ever really see.

A Honda CRV is a piece of cake. I’d use a mitt on that vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I will answer the second part
    I think the vast majority of folks that have vehicles that the roofs are tall enough to be out of sight dont expect that the level of cleanliness / correction be on par with the rest of the vehicle. That being said, I once considered trading in a truck to an out of state dealer and when he asked for photos, he was adament that i send several photos of the roof. When I got my truck i did a polish on it pretty darn close to the rest of the truck and coated it also, now all I do every time I wash it I use CarPro Hydro2 on the roof & the wheels and that seems to be keeping it looking pretty darn good.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a Werner work platform while working on roofs. I treat the roof just like the rest of the vehicle and use a wash mitt while washing.

Car Wash Mitts, Sponges & More

5. Likes Paul A., opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    On a Honda CRV or Pilot, Kia Sorento, and simliar sized smaller SUV’s I use mitts while standing on a step ladder [1 on each side of the vehicle]....
    I take a similar approach, but with one step ladder/tall step stool.

We own a Toyota Highlander and after spraying down the entire roof area, I'll wash it by hand with a wash mitt. I've found even thought it's a mid-size SUV, I can reach to the middle of the roof with just my arms (and I'm an average height) if I get high enough on the ladder/stool. I'll a quarter of the roof by washing everything I can reach. I'll then move the ladder to wash another quarter of the roof. From there I'll move the ladder to the other side and do the same approach. It's not fast, but the entire roof gets cleaned. I think anything similar in size to the Highlander or smaller, should be no problem by hand from my experience.

I used to use a soft brush on a pole, but found I was just as fast by hand. If I was to go back to using a tool for the roof I'd probably use one that has a MF chenille wash mitt on the end vs. one that has a brush.

Polishing and applying and LSP is a little more difficult. I do polish the roof, but I'm sure it probably isn't a great job. My real goal is more of removing old LSP and water spots than it is a showroom correction. A longer polisher like my G15 which has a trigger does seem to be easier to operate than one designed like my HF polisher or a Porter Cable. Applying an LSP and especially a coating is an exercise in patience, but it isn't impossible. I'm just glad I use coatings and don't have to do it more than once every 2~3 years.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple different step platforms to reach any truck/SUV roof. I'll use the rear tires for SUV's. Sometimes it's difficult to machine the middle of some roof's but I get 'em. Washing is easy by inserting my mitt in a hockey stick.

I treat all roof section's as I do the rest of the paint. Down here in FL they get pummelled by UV and many times give up the clearcoat first!

9. Likes dgage, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing and Paint Correction on Truck/SUV roofs-photo0088-jpg

Has been handy. Use it every wash.

I treat the roof on my truck like the rest of it. It gets washed and full protection.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

11. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On my wife’s Navigator, it often get’s ignored. It’s on my list to take care of soon.

13. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    On my wife’s Navigator, it often get’s ignored. It’s on my list to take care of soon.
    You put that on the Internet? For Eternity? For shame. Lol. Wife’s minivan roof gets minimal love but gets washed every few times I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I like to use a Werner work platform while working on roofs. I treat the roof just like the rest of the vehicle and use a wash mitt while washing.

Car Wash Mitts, Sponges & More
    This^^^^^

Personally i feel like im taking the lazy way out if i dont treat it the same as the rest of the vehicle.

Had a buddy who would skip the roof on lifted and big trucks, until i busted his cashews enough about it that he started doing it lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast