autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bird poop ate through the ceramic coating - how to fix?

Bird poop ate through the ceramic coating - how to fix?-20220628_122726-jpg

Was on 1 day while I was away. Ate through the ceramic but clear coat looks ok

Is there a way to fix this? As you can see in the pic, it left a "hole" with white rim/ridge around it where the ceramic was eaten away. Can feel it with my finger

Can I blend in or get rid of the white? Or do I have to polish out and 1) reapply ceramic or 2) just leave it uncoated

When I bought the car I had no idea it had a ceramic coat on it till later and I have no idea what brand coating it is so would have to buy a new ceramic package

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bird poop ate through the ceramic coating - how to fix?

I’m sure there will be better answers but here’s mine:

I don’t think blending in would be too successful and since you don’t know what LSP is on then you couldn’t reapply anything. Of the other two options, either would work. Any idea how long the current coating has left? Just applied? almost Spent? If it looks pretty good, I’d probably go with one of the Lite coatings (CQuartz Lite, CanCoat, etc). If it’s almost done, I’d just put a sealant on to get you to redoing the whole car.

3. Thanks vern7425 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish the entire panel and apply coating again.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks vern7425 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Coatingsarecrack, Desertnate liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    I’m sure there will be better answers but here’s mine:

I don’t think blending in would be too successful and since you don’t know what LSP is on then you couldn’t reapply anything. Of the other two options, either would work. Any idea how long the current coating has left? Just applied? almost Spent? If it looks pretty good, I’d probably go with one of the Lite coatings (CQuartz Lite, CanCoat, etc). If it’s almost done, I’d just put a sealant on to get you to redoing the whole car.
    I bought the car a year ago from the original owner. I can only guess that he applied the ceramic near the beginning of his ownership (as he also wrapped the front end) which would make it 3 years old but even if it was near the end then the coating is a min of 1 year old. I am not sure how to tell if its "almost spent" ie the car still beads up well and looks good as I have been using the Car Pro Reload every few months

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Polish the entire panel and apply coating again.
    That seems to probably be the best route. Maybe I will just buy a full package of CQuartz or Avalon King and apply a bit to the roof panel. And then when the full car needs it, I can do the rest of the car

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern7425 View Post
    I bought the car a year ago from the original owner. I can only guess that he applied the ceramic near the beginning of his ownership (as he also wrapped the front end) which would make it 3 years old but even if it was near the end then the coating is a min of 1 year old. I am not sure how to tell if its "almost spent" ie the car still beads up well and looks good as I have been using the Car Pro Reload every few months

That seems to probably be the best route. Maybe I will just buy a full package of CQuartz or Avalon King and apply a bit to the roof panel. And then when the full car needs it, I can do the rest of the car

Thanks
    Buy Cquartz. Forget the cheap Avalon king stuff.

And yes polish the entire panel, panel wipe and apply the coating. You will end up with a dark spot of spot correcting.

8. Thanks vern7425 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me too. TBH my coatings never blew me away, hence not using them anymore. Volunteering at the USS Cod means I get bird-bombed by the lake gulls often, my coatings didn't fair nearly as well as Collinite #476 has been the past two months. Some bird bombs spent a few days baking in the sun too on my satin black roof and not a mark has been left.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern7425 View Post
    Bird poop ate through the ceramic coating - how to fix?-20220628_122726-jpg

Was on 1 day while I was away. Ate through the ceramic but clear coat looks ok

Is there a way to fix this? As you can see in the pic, it left a "hole" with white rim/ridge around it where the ceramic was eaten away. Can feel it with my finger

Can I blend in or get rid of the white? Or do I have to polish out and 1) reapply ceramic or 2) just leave it uncoated

When I bought the car I had no idea it had a ceramic coat on it till later and I have no idea what brand coating it is so would have to buy a new ceramic package

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks
    For me the pic is rather small to really see but honestly, if that was bird poop it was some toxic stuff he ate.

What you're feeling isn' the ceramic, it's etched the clear. You aren't ever going to feel a ridge with a ceramic coating, it's microns thin after it's cured. That's clear that you're feeling.

Polish and re-coat the panel but it's very likely if it left that deep of a mark that it's not going to be correctable. Don't try too hard either as you'll do more damage to the surrounding clear.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)