autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: Which Coating?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with Gloss Coat

4 33.33%
  • CSL

0 0%
  • Gyeon Mohs

2 16.67%
  • CQuartz UK

6 50.00%
    Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat VS everything else

I've used Optimum Gloss Coat in the past, and have to say I wasn't super impressed, but I guess it was "ok." Now I want to LIGHTLY polish out my car - should I go with Gloss Coat again? Or do most new coatings just blow it away? I don't intend on polishing much, so maybe that's a case for sticking to Gloss Coat? In case I don't totally abrade it off (but "rough it up" enough for new Gloss Coat to go down?).

Although at this point there can't be much GC left.

Supposedly there's another "new" formula for Gloss Coat. Has anybody tried it?

I was also looking at something like Gtechniq CSL or maybe Gyeon Mohs.

Any input?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloss Coat VS everything else

If you're going to be doing any polishing at all, you'll probably remove all of the remaining coating.

As for what to use next, the only one on your list I've used is CQUK. It's a great product that has never let me down.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most coatings are better than gloss coat. Have not used the newest version but I suspect it’s the same with minor tweaks.

Between the two options you listed Mohs Evo is the better choice over CSL.

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From a business perspective, Gloss Coat is an awesome choice for someone who wants a very simple way to introduce their customers to a ceramic coating. It happened to be my route, and it a great entry to them.

For the enthusiast, or "enthusi-pro" it might not deliver the water behavior or percieved longevity they like upon initial interaction.

I added CarPro Gliss, Lite, and CQUK 3.0 (also have SIC but haven't played with it yet) to my offerings, but as things are beginning to shift focus (from pursuing actual detailing to local product sales) I'm considering going back to just offering Gloss Coat. I keeps my detailing operation tight and minimalist so I can spend time on the other endeavors.

I have noticed that the more I work with Gloss Coat, the better my results are. Because the application is so ambiguous to me I have to "trial and error" my usage of it. Vehicles I did early on seemed to do well with, but I did my gf's old truck, my car, and a co worker's car, and like you I wasn't as impressed - although it was better than a single layer of CarPro Lite and UK - which may change should I run then through the same trial and error I am with GC. I re-did my co worker's car and it turned out great! He beats the daylights out if it, runs it through the tunnel wash on occasion, and goes long times between washes. This will allow me to get a good observation of what to it can do with my latest application method.

I just polished my hood with 3D ONE, hit it with Optimum Paint Prep, and laid down some Gloss Coat. And hour later I applied Opti-Seal. That night it rained, and I got some pretty killer water behavior.

I did find a high spot on my gf's Jeep, and I have had the tips clog up on me with Gloss Coat, so I know it does something, but you have to decide for yourself. On the driver's side of her Jeep I did two layers of CQUK3.0 and one layer of Gliss. I have to admit that it's pretty awesome! Very slick, very easy to clean, looks and feels like a good chunk of coating is on the paint.

I may try the Gyeon coatings too because I'm not a big fan of double layers. Takes too long, too much to worry about, too much waste in applicators and towels, really harsh chemical fumes etc, etc... Actually all that makes me want to stay with GC even more...

Like Mike Phillips says, find what you like and use it often.

7. Thanks bigez thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, SNP209, bigez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving Can Coat so far.

9. Thanks bigez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    From a business perspective, Gloss Coat is an awesome choice for someone who wants a very simple way to introduce their customers to a ceramic coating. It happened to be my route, and it a great entry to them.

For the enthusiast, or "enthusi-pro" it might not deliver the water behavior or percieved longevity they like upon initial interaction.

I added CarPro Gliss, Lite, and CQUK 3.0 (also have SIC but haven't played with it yet) to my offerings, but as things are beginning to shift focus (from pursuing actual detailing to local product sales) I'm considering going back to just offering Gloss Coat. I keeps my detailing operation tight and minimalist so I can spend time on the other endeavors.

I have noticed that the more I work with Gloss Coat, the better my results are. Because the application is so ambiguous to me I have to "trial and error" my usage of it. Vehicles I did early on seemed to do well with, but I did my gf's old truck, my car, and a co worker's car, and like you I wasn't as impressed - although it was better than a single layer of CarPro Lite and UK - which may change should I run then through the same trial and error I am with GC. I re-did my co worker's car and it turned out great! He beats the daylights out if it, runs it through the tunnel wash on occasion, and goes long times between washes. This will allow me to get a good observation of what to it can do with my latest application method.

I just polished my hood with 3D ONE, hit it with Optimum Paint Prep, and laid down some Gloss Coat. And hour later I applied Opti-Seal. That night it rained, and I got some pretty killer water behavior.

I did find a high spot on my gf's Jeep, and I have had the tips clog up on me with Gloss Coat, so I know it does something, but you have to decide for yourself. On the driver's side of her Jeep I did two layers of CQUK3.0 and one layer of Gliss. I have to admit that it's pretty awesome! Very slick, very easy to clean, looks and feels like a good chunk of coating is on the paint.

I may try the Gyeon coatings too because I'm not a big fan of double layers. Takes too long, too much to worry about, too much waste in applicators and towels, really harsh chemical fumes etc, etc... Actually all that makes me want to stay with GC even more...

Like Mike Phillips says, find what you like and use it often.
    All Gyeon Evo coatings are one layer other than Syncro Evo.

11. Likes CleanIT, dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just put Mohs Evo on my Golf R... pretty great experience. You just have to work pretty quick, especially if doing it in hot/humid. CanCoat Evo on my wife's car has been a real revelation... in fact, I topped the mohs with with. Mohs Evo wipes off soooo nicely and it is slick, not powerlock/ultralock slick, but shockingly close for a coating....

13. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    Just put Mohs Evo on my Golf R... pretty great experience. You just have to work pretty quick, especially if doing it in hot/humid. CanCoat Evo on my wife's car has been a real revelation... in fact, I topped the mohs with with. Mohs Evo wipes off soooo nicely and it is slick, not powerlock/ultralock slick, but shockingly close for a coating....
    I thought of trying Mohs next after Can Coat wears off. I wonder how long Mohs would last with CC on top?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I thought of trying Mohs next after Can Coat wears off. I wonder how long Mohs would last with CC on top?
    I got 18 months strong with CQUK3 topped with CCOG and I think i would have got 2+ years if car not wrecked.

I would think same with MOHS with CCEVO…. 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk