autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product recommendations for decon/wash prior to full correction

Realizing it's been '19 and '20 since my cars have gotten anything more than a wash/topping, so gearing up to give them both some love this summer.

Typically I would just do an iron removal, wash, clay (or clay mitt), and move onto the correction.

This round I was thinking about picking up some CarPro Descale to try as it seems some members here have had good luck with it. It makes sense to me to go for a chemical water spot removal just like doing a chemical iron removal before moving to physical measures. Is this overkill? Any other products to look at? I do have a small bottle of Optimum MDR, but not sure if I have enough left to do 2 cars.

I've also got Griot's Foaming Surface Prep, but I'm not sure yet if I'll use that as well.

For shampoo, I was also thinking about finally picking up a bottle of Reset since I've been hearing praise for it forever but have managed to not buy a bottle yet.

Probably going to go traditional clay this time around just to see what the cars have picked up.

Once it gets to the big show of correction/protection, I've got plans for each of the cars already.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product recommendations for decon/wash prior to full correction

Personally, if your not in a rush i really enjoyed washing and chemical decon/claying my car last year for a day or two and then a few days later i started polishing after a N914 wipe down. It made the whole experience more enjoyable. It would be a very long day for me if i would of done it all in one day, it would fast become work.

3. Likes dgage, vaca22, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought is this: If I'm going to mechanically polish a vehicle, that process will do far more to improve the surface due to the mechanical abrasion than any soap/cleaning product will. Things like mild water spots and any other matter on the surface the soap and clay didn't remove, the polisher certainly will.

If I was simply going to layer an LSP after an extended time, or apply an LSP with no other prep work, then I would consider one of the specialty soaps to do a little extra cleaning.

EDIT: Guess I didn't answer the question. If I'm going to be polishing I'll use my normal soap.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I figure Iron Remover & clay have been working for years after a wash and prior to polishing; if it ain't broke, don't fix it Product recommendations for decon/wash prior to full correction

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. Thanks Desertnate, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, oneheadlite liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    My thought is this: If I'm going to mechanically polish a vehicle, that process will do far more to improve the surface due to the mechanical abrasion than any soap/cleaning product will. Things like mild water spots and any other matter on the surface the soap and clay didn't remove, the polisher certainly will.

If I was simply going to layer an LSP after an extended time, or apply an LSP with no other prep work, then I would consider one of the specialty soaps to do a little extra cleaning.

EDIT: Guess I didn't answer the question. If I'm going to be polishing I'll use my normal soap.
    i never answered the question either

I would use something like descale for maintenance not prep work for polishing.

9. Likes Desertnate, BudgetPlan1, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For decon:
    CarPro Iron-X and Meguiars wheel and paint decon are the best products I have used. Optimum Ferrex the worst by a long margin.
    I suggest you also do a tar decon, there is almost always some of it on the lower part of the vehicule. All the tar removers I have tried worked well so chose what you want

I would not clay bar without polishing afterwards, you will put micro scratches for sure in the paint so if you are not interested in polishing, skip that step IMO.

Final wash with something like McKee's 37 N-914 won't leave anything behind so that is my go-to.

Have fun!

11. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah for polishing I just use a

Alkaline soap,
    wash,
    Iron remover, I like BF because it likes a wet car.
    Rinse
    Dry then clay
    Polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, oneheadlite, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it depends on what kind of contaminates you have on the paint. Remember that Carpro DeScale is a maintance wash. So if you have a problem with water spots and would soften and remove them some before the polishing. I would get Carpro Spotless 2.0. It's much more stronger now the new formula. But water spots are hard to remove if they have been on the car for a long time. But it would work to soften them up with DeScale and followed with Spotless. Is it worth it? The polishing will remove so it depends on the amount of water spots that you have. Personally I like to get the paint as clean as possible before polishing. And any chemical that will help is a benefit for the polishing pad in the end. You can see the difference on the pads how well your decon worked out in how much dirt it gets in the pad.

My process and I always check on some spots if it's needed with tar and iron removal.
    Alkaline prewash BH Auto-Foam/BH Surfex HD 50/50 in the foamcannon. And clean with the PW. I also have a pumpsprayer with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD 1:10 and apply on bugs splatter and heavy road film before I foam the car.

Wash with Carpro Reset or a domestic ph 10 car soap. Dry and start with the tar remover. Tar spots is not unusual to cling on iron particals so that's why I start with a tar remover. Rinse off and dry again. Iron remover and why I dry before is that chemicals work best when applied on dry paint.
    With Carpro Reset and you want to get a little more umph to it. You can ad Carpro Lift or Carpro MultiX to get a higher cleaning ability and some reduced on the LSP. If you have a strong LSP. BH Surfex HD or Carpro MultiX in a pumpsprayer in 1:10. Spray on and let dwell panel by panel. And agitate with the Reset wash. This knocks down many stronger LSP great. It's to get a better start and a more effective polish/compound experience and you can use the pads longer before they gums up with paint and dirt and protection and all it's taking off. I have actually moved away from using a lot of polishing pads. Only needs to be useing 2-3 pads for each stage. With no sign of getting saturated with in the pad. This need to have an air compressor to clean the pads on the go. Rupes Claw Pad Tool is great to have on hand as well.

Since the paint is as clean as I can get it now. Clay bar to see how it picks up on the parts where it where much of tar and iron particals. If the clay don't pick up much I move on to a clay mitt and car soap. Here I think I will be starting to use DeScale as the soap for the clay mitt.

Going over board? Ohh yes LOL. But not working for money I'm able to be doing this.

Skickat från min SM-T736B via Tapatalk

15. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, oneheadlite, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Personally, if your not in a rush i really enjoyed washing and chemical decon/claying my car last year for a day or two and then a few days later i started polishing after a N914 wipe down. It made the whole experience more enjoyable. It would be a very long day for me if i would of done it all in one day, it would fast become work.
    Man, ain't that the truth! It look me close to 9 hours last time I attempted this. My neighbor wants me to do his car. I had the brilliant idea of doing all the washing/decon one day, and then tackling the polishing and coating the next (after a quick wash, of course). And that seems WAY more appealing to me then busting my hump in one day.

17. Likes SWETM, noorth, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Man, ain't that the truth! It look me close to 9 hours last time I attempted this. My neighbor wants me to do his car. I had the brilliant idea of doing all the washing/decon one day, and then tackling the polishing and coating the next (after a quick wash, of course). And that seems WAY more appealing to me then busting my hump in one day.
    I do exactly this or a variation of it. The main point is breaking it up across about 1.5 days. If I'm doing a coating I won't even try to do it all in one day unless the timing forces the situation.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

19. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast