autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cancoat evo bad experience or not?

As some of you may alredy know. Last week i applied evo pure coating on my black audi. After 10 days of curing i decided to washed the car and applied cancoat evo on top. It rained quite a bit last week so removing the water spots was a bit of a pain. I had to use ipa on some spot on the hood but the car was ready for cancoat

I ve decided to use esoteric method of applying cancoat spray on the microfiber and doing small sections. I started on the hood and pretty much gave up. Let me start by saying the spray method is a pain , real pain because it goes everwhere so i had to make sure it only went onto the microfiber. The coating itself is sticky and not slick, it does not come off easy , its even worst than a ceramic coating because u are not applying it with a suede block or microfiber applicator. The car is black so it makes it worst because i had to go over 5 or 6 times just to make sure they were not darker spots. Working on small sections also make it harder as u end up going back to the sections u already did, which against causes darker spots there. Furthermore the fast curing time makes it harder to go back and fix the spot u missed.

I ll be honest , the car being black doesnt help, the lighting in my garage is not the best so it doesnt help neither. Not going to lie , i would rather just do a second coat of ceramic coating instead of cancoat or i would apply cancoat with a suede applicator or microfiber applicator, treat it like a true ceramic coating next time

Overall thoughts are i would rather use carpro gliss as a topper rather than cancoat

I would even argue that carpro lite was easier to apply than cancoat evo.

Even pure was easier to come off and it is as slick as cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cancoat evo bad experience or not?

I've sub'd to the thread to learn about CanCoat EVOCancoat evo bad experience or not?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I have used many bottles of the first version of CanCoat & currently am on my 2nd bottle of CanCoat Evo. Can be tricky if you’re trying to apply like a “traditional” coating in a small glass bottle. It does not apply the same. Less is more with CanCoat. What was your goal of applying CanCoat so long after installing Pure?

4. Likes CleanIT, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes less is definatly more, and it does kinda suck to do black with can coat evo. Both times ive used it so far was with a autofiber coating applicator and applied it to the surface similar to a coating.

Next time i am going to buy some empty mini spray bottles so i can put in the 10-15ml and work with that. That should in theory keep me from using more than needed.

I believe it was Ttq b4u that had once said this is how he does it
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. Likes CleanIT, rick100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have used many bottles of the first version of CanCoat & currently am on my 2nd bottle of CanCoat Evo. Can be tricky if you’re trying to apply like a “traditional” coating in a small glass bottle. It does not apply the same. Less is more with CanCoat. What was your goal of applying CanCoat so long after installing Pure?
    10 days is so long after applying pure??

Goal was to have a sacrificial layer with some slickness which i thought was the point of cancoat...

Just like carpro has cquartz and gliss. I know it's not the same but for what i ve read cancoat has characteristics pure does not.

In any case i applied to the hood and that is it. Ended up putting carpro reload to the remaining of the car which i had a small bottle from last year. Zero regrets with car pro reload. Easy to apply, very slick, like the looks. I m sure it ll last a month or so but that is ok .

I m more pissed off about throwing 5 towels to the garbage trying to level cancoat on the hood.

I didnt applied it heavy at all. Literally followed esoteric video.

This is my seventh time or so applying a coating. Have done cquartz lite, cquartz uk, pure, theblast coat black ice ( not a true coating but ita apply like a coating)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yes less is definatly more, and it does kinda suck to do black with can coat evo. Both times ive used it so far was with a autofiber coating applicator and applied it to the surface similar to a coating.

Next time i am going to buy some empty mini spray bottles so i can put in the 10-15ml and work with that. That should in theory keep me from using more than needed.

I believe it was Ttq b4u that had once said this is how he does it
    I honestly think using a suede applicator would work better which is what i m going to do next on my next car. Even a microfiber applicator should work in small sections.

Spraying on a microfiber towel sucks, specially on a black car. The coating is too thick.

It s like applying a true ceramic coating with a microfiber towel. Never again will a try that. It was actually easier to apply pure evo which is why i said i would rather do 2 coats of purd evo before i try cancoat with a microfiber towel.

I also think that droplets type of application would work better than spraying.

Next time i ll treat it like a ceramoc coating application. Its very very similar yo what i have experience with car pro lite

Not sure about the old formula, maybe it was different .

Post Thanks / Like

Which brings me to my other point. This is my fault too for being so OCD or looking for prefection

Never again im wasting so many microfiber towels on a coating for 1 car lol. Literally i lost count but i went througj at least 12 towels between pure evo and can coat. All brand spanking new. It hurts

Next time one application of either pure or cancoat. Topper will be reload or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be sure, you’re wiping CanCoat on and then immediately wiping it off right? It flashes almost immediately so you should be able to wipe it off almost immediately without worrying about it spreading around. But you seem to say the wiping towel spread it more? That isn’t my experience with CanCoat. What were the weather conditions when you were applying it?

11. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    Never again im wasting so many microfiber towels on a coating for 1 car lol. Literally i lost count but i went througj at least 12 towels between pure evo and can coat. All brand spanking new. It hurts
    Umm why the hell are you throwing your towels away???!!!Cancoat evo bad experience or not? just wash them and they will be fine.

Ive done numerous coatings with the same towels...just wash after each job.

That suff dont harden that fast

Also if you did not already...watch the guz video on pure/cancoat evo

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Just to be sure, you’re wiping CanCoat on and then immediately wiping it off right? It flashes almost immediately so you should be able to wipe it off almost immediately without worrying about it spreading around. But you seem to say the wiping towel spread it more? That isn’t my experience with CanCoat. What were the weather conditions when you were applying it?
    yes on and off , exactly how they do it in the esoteric video. Temperature today was 18 degrees ( 65 f) so it was not hot or cold , inside a garage . The issue that i was having is that it does not spread out or wipe off easy. I did small sections , using rag company ceramic coating level towel and rag companies 350 gsm towels for final wipe.

the issue is that this coating is thick , almost like car pro lite , so trying to apply it with a microfiber towel is not ideal ( at least for me) , i m sure it would ve been different if i use a suede aplicator or microfiber aplicator . It does seem to remove easy under a normal lighting but once you see it from a different angle with different light you can clearly see darker spots . I even thought that i had remove everything and I took the car outside just to check since this is the first time using this coating , once the car was outside I found 2 small spots where it was darker . I quickly fix the issue .

I could only imagine if I had those small spots all over the car , this is the reason I did not put it all over the car.

The hood looks great , its not as slick as I would ve like , so its not a bad coating , but application is an issue for me, specially on a black metallic car

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast