autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotten egg smells in new products?

I'm trying to figure out if I just have a string of bad luck going or something else. In the past 1-2 months, I have received new purchases that smell like rotten eggs. See below:

March/April: TAC System Shinee Wax - retailer agreed it was odd and replaced it. The replacement was fine so definitely seems like the original arrived spoiled.

Since then, I've had the following that also arrived smelling like or at least with a faint smell of rotten eggs:

3D BDX - pretty strong rotten egg odor, which is concerning since most reviews comment on it being relatively odorless.
    3D Yellow Degreaser - slight rotten egg odor - shipped differently and purchased elsewhere from the above

Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner - same as above, shipped and purchased separately from the above, slight rotten egg odor

With the exception of the Shinee Wax the others are pretty heavy duty cleaners/iron removers so I figure it may just be my nose noticing these and paying attention now. Or should I be concerned I am getting some bad batches of product? These have all been purchased in the past 4-6 weeks and are never left outside after delivery. Until I started moving stuff to the garage today, they have been inside my home after delivery.

I have reached out to 3D but not received any response - might need to call them this week. Figured I would check-in with the experts here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotten egg smells in new products?

All of those color changing iron removers/wheel cleaners have that rotten egg smell, from my understanding its just part of the chemistry. Not sure about the 3D yellow degreaser though.

3. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    All of those color changing iron removers/wheel cleaners have that rotten egg smell, from my understanding its just part of the chemistry. Not sure about the 3D yellow degreaser though.
    Thanks. I thought I remembered Gyeon's Iron Remover being the same. Blackfire wasn't as strong.

I'll recheck the degreaser... maybe just a result of me having sniffed the others seconds prior.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You're picking the worst smelling things...

As a fellow smell snob, those class of chemicals you typically just have to ignore it, tell yourself it doesn't matter and move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    You're picking the worst smelling things...

As a fellow smell snob, those class of chemicals you typically just have to ignore it, tell yourself it doesn't matter and move on.
    I think that Shinee Wax has me shook up a bit. Rotten egg smells in new products?

I usually don't even worry about smell. I double-checked the degreaser alone and it did seem fine. So based on the two confirmations here, seems like I'm all set.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk