autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD on Ceramic coated car

Hey,
    My car was polished and then protected with ceramic coating (Nasiol) by a professional about a month ago, and I gotta say the results are superb. Since then I only wash it with neutral pH shampoo.
    Can I use a detailer like Sonax Brilliant Shiner Detailer on top of the ceramic coating, especially in the finishing drying process? Will I loose any benefit from the ceramic coating?
    I really like the product and already have it. I have not used it in the last month.

Someone told me that coatings shouldn't be topped with something else:
    question to you: how can a product add gloss without affecting an underlying LSP’s hydrophobic properties? How is that chemically and physically possible?
    I know that there are manufacturers and influencers / testers out there who tell you that there are products which create „gloss“ but don‘t affect the hydrophobics.
    But how is that supposed to work? If these products really add gloss, then they MUST leave something behind that creates this gloss. And this something will definately influence the hydrophobics.
    Next to its strong durability because of the strong bond it forms with your paint, coatings have two main additional benefits: their „easy to clean effect“ and their „self cleaning effect“. Basically, both mean that yout car stays cleaner for longer and is easier to clean as dirt doesn‘t stick to it as good as it would to the paint.
    Now for these two effects to work properly, your coating needs to be „clean“. If your coated car e.g. is permanently parked outside and driven without washing it from time to time, dirt and grime and (mineral) deposits clogg up the coating. Under a microscope, most coatings actually form a quite rough surface with countless „spikes“ - like a lotus flower. That‘s where its hydrophobic properties and the two above mentioned effects stem from.
    If this surface structure is clogged up, then your coating doesn‘t work properly. This clogging up can either come from dirt / contaminants or from other products which you apply on top of the coating. Those products will wash away or degrade over time and will do so quicker than your coating does, but the main lesson here is that if you apply something else on top of your coating, then you loose your coating‘s properties and gain the topper‘s properties - including a time in which your topper’s hydrophobics are getting worse but as it’s still clogging up your coating the latter can’t yet „take over“ and show its own hydrophobic properties, meaning the hydrophobic properties of what’s own your paint is bad, no matter what.
    That‘s why so many people recommend to use „ceramic infused“ toppers for coatings, as the characteristics of such toppers will be similar to the coating itself. However, the same holds true as stated above: if you use a topper, you just „cover“ up your coating, which is why I personally believe that the best way to take care of a coating is to just wash it properly and regularly and leave it to itself as a coating is perfectly able to work on its own and doesn‘t need „protection“.
    The whole concept of „protecting“ a „protection“ really doesn‘t make that much sense if you really think about it. I mean would you hire a second security guy to just protect a security guy you hired in the first place? If yes, then isn‘t the first guy useless in what he does?
    It‘s a protective product and you don‘t need to protect that. If you feel the need to do so, you chose the wrong type and kind of protection and should have gone for a stronger one from the outset.
    Also, some products in fact can cause (mild to severe) issues when being topped on a coating. Stuff with silicones in it and/or stromg beading characteristics e.g. can make the waterspoting issue of coatings even worse (e.g. Sonax BSD). Some products which are aimed at applying to a wet surface don‘t have enough water on a coated car after washing it causing nasty streaks and spots as the product reacts too concentrated at certain areas (e.g. Gyeon WetCoat). Some products contain (very) strong solvents and/or ingredients that act as solvents for the coating‘s particles (e.g. Koch Chemie FSE). So topping a coating with anything without knowing what’s in it isn‘t really sensible.
    Just wash it with a neutral shampoo without any additional stuff in it (wax, gloss enhancers, sealant properties) and you‘ll be fine. By using sealing shampoos or detailers you will alter the properties of the wax and will never know if it is still on your paint or if it is only the quick detailer or spray wax that you see beading and sheeting.
    What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax BSD on Ceramic coated car

I see no issues using BSD on your car, whether it's as a drying aid or on a dry surface, this is a very high quality productSonax BSD on Ceramic coated carSonax BSD on Ceramic coated car I can tell you alot of LSP's are made to be used ontop of costing, like Gyeon Q2 Wax for instance.

There's lots a great soaps out there to use on coated cars. Carpro Reset is a forum favorite for doing a contact wash, Lyft as a pre-wash will keep that coating cleanSonax BSD on Ceramic coated carBilt-Hamber has GREAT pre-washes (Touchless and Auto-Foam) as well as their Auto-Wash for contact washes. Not sure what your using for a pH neutral soap but I thought I'd throw out a couple ideasSonax BSD on Ceramic coated car

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Klasse really covered it. I haven't used it but BSD beading is really good so if you're going to top it with something, it's a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two schools of thought. 1. If you like the ceramic coating, why mask its properties with a topper product? 2. Toppers add extra protection, shine, etc so as long as you like the topper’s behavior on top of the coating, what’s the harm? Secondarily, adding some topper as a drying aid could reduce the chance of marring if using drying towels but a good coating also lends itself to easy drying with a blower.

No right answer, pick what suits you and move on with more important concerns like what/where to eat for dinner tonight.

6. Likes CleanIT, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax also makes a quick detailer for ceramics:

SONAX Ceramic Ultra Slick Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax BSD is an excellent topper for ceramic coatings. I cut it 50/50 with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer for added slickness.

Here is a video from our very own forum member Loach, demonstrating Sonax BSD on top of a coating:

9. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMarkham40 View Post
    Sonax also makes a quick detailer for ceramics:

SONAX Ceramic Ultra Slick Detailer
    I’m a Sonax fan but wasn’t really blown away by this one. The Guz turned me onto Glassparency Boost and I like that a lot more than Sonax Ultra Slick. I primarily use it as a drying aid topper.

11. Likes The Guz, AMarkham40 liked this post