autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Choices / Decisions - Black Single Stage Paint

Choices / Decisions - Black Single Stage Paint-5-16-2021-driveway-gs-stage-1-jpgChoices / Decisions - Black Single Stage Paint-2022-01-12-buick-gs-trunk-swirls-jpgChoices / Decisions - Black Single Stage Paint-2022-01-12-buick-gs-fender-marks-jpg

I’ve been lurking, reading, learning and other “ings” here for a while as I do research.

I know I am overthinking my project, hence this long post, but wanted to get a few opinions on my thought process/approach before I tackle it.

My black Buick GS was repainted with single stage urethane back in 1998. It’s been garage kept since, with “nice-day” type outings. My parent’s bought it new, so I am awfully familiar with the car (used it to get my driver’s license).
    My Dad fell ill about 10 years ago, and GS became mostly a garage queen… except when I was able to visit and take care of needed things.

I now have the car with me and have spent the last two years taking care of the usual things that need attention after sitting a while, and am now ready to tackle the paint before spring. It’s not bad, but it’s been at least 10 years since it’s seen anything other than a duster, various spray detailers (Meguiar’s – Griots, etc), and the inside of a car cover.

It still looks quite nice with good reflections and shine, and I get compliments on the paint almost every time it’s in public, but it has some swirl marks here and there, and a few rub marks that need to be addressed. I also need to wet-sand two spots I have layered on touch up paint.

After having my own restoration shop (mostly mechanical), I took a 20-year detour into the corporate world – an amazing experience but little work/life balance – and now getting back into my cars. I recently picked up a DeWalt DA, fresh Griot’s Clay, and various Chemical Guys pads. I bought 3M Finesse It II Machine Polish and Show Car Liquid Wax to supplement my older (in some cases much older) collection of Eagle One Nano wax and Carnauba paste wax, Zymöl Cream and Cleaner wax, and other assorted bottles of “stuff” such as Meguiar’s Final Inspection, Ultimate Polish and various detailers like Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax, Ultimate Quik Detailer, and Quik Detailer Mist and Wipe.

I experimented on my and my wife’s daily drivers, using different products above, and am happy with both cars. I went gentle – I believe the strongest polish I have is the 3M – and found a second round a few months later with the clay and a just cleaner wax (the Zymöl) made an improvement. I know there are better options, but it is what it is for the DD’s, at least until I empty some of the bottles I already have (or they aren't effective any longer).

TL;DR

I am still a bit old-school and want to stay away from ceramic coatings at this time and am looking for the “deep wet look” vs super shiny.

My current thinking for the Buick:

Clay – Polish the specific spots that need extra attention with either the 3M Finesse It or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (or something stronger, as needed), then do the whole car before using the 3M liquid wax or Eagle One paste wax.

OR

Clay. And then pick up specific pairings such as:

• · Meguiar’s Ultra Pro Finishing Polishing and Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0
    • · Griot’s Boss – Correcting Cream and Finishing Sealant
    • · Blackfire One Step and Midnight Sun

Please Note – I am note asking which is “better,” just more about which groupings would be the right amount of polish to get after the swirl and rub marks… From everything I’ve learned so far, I don’t suspect I could go wrong with any of the above… but appreciate opinions on who has used what, and what has worked for them, in similar situations.

Mucho TIA!
    1969 460 Mach-1 / 1973 GS Stage-1 / 2000 Lexus GS400 / 2004 V-Rod / 2018 Outback 3.6R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Choices / Decisions - Black Single Stage Paint

A little bump... as the posting was delayed and fell to the second page.

Also, upon further review, I think I'll skip the Correcting Cream or Ultra Pro Finishing Polishing step. Both the Finishing Sealant and Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 appear to have more cut than I originally thought, and on par with the Blackfire AIO. I can then use something stronger if needed in spots.

Would still love to hear ideas, personal experiences, etc.
    1969 460 Mach-1 / 1973 GS Stage-1 / 2000 Lexus GS400 / 2004 V-Rod / 2018 Outback 3.6R

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own favorites but if it were me, I'd go with the Meguiar's combo... 210 and 21.

I have a black truck and two black Harley's. They have always had Meg's 205 or 210 used on them for polishing. For LSPs, they have seen Meg's 21, 26, and Ultimate Liquid Wax.

More recently I tried 303 Graphene Spray Coating as an LSP but I'm not sold on that one yet.

4. Thanks bbmach thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give that Ultimat Polish a shot. I've used it extensively over the years and it's been a faithful ally.

Sane with the M21 Synthetic Sealant. Just be aware that any perceived cut anyone gets out of it is probably coming from the pad, or their mind is being tricked by the filling effect the polymers in the formula are laying down.

6. Thanks bbmach thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you @2black1s - I too have a black HD, but sitting it doesn't need much sitting in the garage :-/
    And @dk95 - thanks for the info on the Ultimate Polish and M21. I've been around and around with the claimed cutting levels with Meguiar's, from the arrows on the bottle to web descriptions, and your experience is most helpful.

I wish I had the time to buy different things and experiment like I used to...