autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax upkeep with spray wax after drive thru car washes??

Winter months unfortunately I goto touchless car washes.
    I coat the vehicle with collinite 476. If I use a spray wash like megs quuxk wax will it scratch the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax upkeep with spray wax after drive thru car washes??

I use a touchless wash every couple weeks year round, I follow it with Carpro elixir about every couple months… Works great… Get lots of comments from the public on my car. My base is 303 graphene, now about a year old.

that being said, Maguires quick wax is a great product. Used it for years……
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    Winter months unfortunately I goto touchless car washes.
    I coat the vehicle with collinite 476. If I use a spray wash like megs quuxk wax will it scratch the paint?
    You can maintain with Collinite itself using 520. I won't link to the Collinite page itself but check what it does/doesn't do on their page and you might have exactly what you need:

Collinite Post Haste Quick Detailer No. 520

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

After 20+ winters using touchless car washes in Alaska I have never seen one that got a car clean enough for me to even consider wiping anything on or off immediately after the wash, much less after driving home following the wash

If I can't garage wash in the winter I depend on the base layer I applied before the weather got bad

Alaska only uses enough salt mixed into the mountains of road sanding dirt to keep the mounds from freezing but we still get a film on our cars that no drive through wash will touch

Your mileage may vary and this is another "place to place" variable that a simple answer doesn't address

5. Likes Odrapnew, John U, Uncbrs, dlc95, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    After 20+ winters using touchless car washes in Alaska I have never seen one that got a car clean enough for me to even consider wiping anything on or off immediately after the wash, much less after driving home following the wash

If I can't garage wash in the winter I depend on the base layer I applied before the weather got bad

Alaska only uses enough salt mixed into the mountains of road sanding dirt to keep the mounds from freezing but we still get a film on our cars that no drive through wash will touch

Your mileage may vary and this is another "place to place" variable that a simple answer doesn't address
    I completely agree.
    They are good to get the heavy stuff off, but the road film is still there.

7. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I completely agree.
    They are good to get the heavy stuff off, but the road film is still there.
    Agree. I've never had a touchless car wash get my car clean enough to feel comfortable wiping anything on the car. Too much residue and fine grit left behind. If anything I'd use a touchless for the big stuff, go home and do a waterless wash, and THEN apply a spray product.

Personally, I hit the cars with a durable protective product like you already have and then leave it alone until spring. I'll do touchless or bucket washes depending on weather, but depend on the existing LSP to handle protection for the duration.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite is great for winters, definitely long lasting. Diminishing returns with adding a spray wax over in my opinion. My winter regimen is a spray bottle with Carpro Reset, spray down in do it yourself bay, then rinse.
    If above freezing, will get up to 90-100mph to dry and not much left after that.
    If below freezing, still go 90-100 mph but will let set in garage with heat....either way I use N-914 or ONR in a waterless wash to touch up.
    If ice/snow on roads...will not go 90-100mph to help dry

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1) I would find out what the pH of the soap is that the touchless car wash uses. A lot of these touchless washes use soaps with very high pH to compensate for the lowered cleaning ability of not making contact with the paint. If used, the high pH soap could degrade your Collinite wax.

2) After the touchless wash, instead of applying a spray wax, you could do a waterless wash with a product that contains wax. For example, Meguiars D115 cleans really well and it definitely leaves some protection behind. If you still want to use a spray wax, you could first do a waterless wash and then follow that up with a spray wax, such as Meguiars D156.

13. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was working at a car wash in 2009 or so, we had a customer whose Ford Explorer beaded up wash after wash.

When I asked him what wax he used he told me Collinite 476.

I'm going to guess 486 won't need any help.

However, if it were me, I'd do a wipe down with Opti-Clean, and top with Optimum Car Wax and / or Opti-Seal. That's basically what I do with my mom's car when she comes to vist.

15. Likes chilly, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post

Same experience here. That road film hangs on tenaciously.

17. Likes chilly, Desertnate liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast