autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver vs White

Post Thanks / Like

Silver vs White

Getting ready to place a factory order on a new truck, and going back and forth between silver and white. Have owned many white but never silver. I always manage to keep the white looking pretty good, but as everyone knows can't get that pop factor from it too easily. Is silver better, worse or about the same. I know some may suggest going dark, but I live in Canada, and winters are long. Vehicles take a beating, and I have to give it good protection as late as I can in fall and live with it till I can attack it again in spring. Black is just too hard to keep looking good in our climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silver vs White

Have you had pear white? Silver can "shimmer" and is more rewarding than straight white. One thing about your 2 choices is that chemical decon will always be funSilver vs WhiteSilver vs White

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not had pearl white...I can see how that might be different. Yeah no issue seeing the chemical decon do it's thing on white. Also no trouble seeing the effects of environmental fallout leaving some brown specks on the paint either, after a long winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had a few silver cars and never was i impressed more than white. Maybe if it has a ton of metallic.

If you want something different I’d say go for it.

I prefer white as even though you can’t get the reflectiveness most of the time, it glows when clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at Ram's Billet Silver Metallic, and it does appear to have a fair bit of metallic in it... not sure if one can make it pop though, but then again that may just be over rated...

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a fan of white. My vote is silver, but this is a very personal choice for anyone.

I freely admit to having issues. Some of my bias started when I was a kid and EVERY rental car in our area was a base spec US big 3 vehicle in white. It became ingrained in my that white = cheap disposable car. White cars tended to be the rusting hulks you saw parked in peoples yards. The good cars (regardless of make) that people took care of were always a color other than white.

From an aesthetics standpoint I find white erases any design lines of a car and tends to turn it into one blob of a shape. For a while I'd see a 981 generation Cayman at work. I love the lines of a Cayman, but in white you couldn't see them because the color eliminated the light playing off the various surfaces. The car, IMO, looked like a jelly bean, not the elegant sportscar you see in other colors.

Back in the early 2000's, I owned a silver E46 BMW. Cleaned up and wearing a fresh layer of carnauba wax it would glow/sparkle and really catch the light on the various surfaces. It looked great. I can't imagine what it would have looked like with a good coating...but they didn't exist back then. With silver you don't get the same depth as you do with a darker color, but I feel it does catch the light better and gives a vehicle character better than white ever can.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes bbmach, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It might depend on where the vehicle will be spending most of its time. Here in Florida white cars are popular due to the heat. It’s funny, I have one white car that I rarely drive so that benefit doesn’t do anything for me.

My father’s car is silver and I take care of it. It does show lines better than white and it hides dirt. It’s a great color for a driver but not a passionate detailer who wants exquisite paint with plenty of depth.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Likes bbmach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mopars metallics have alot of flake usually!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

13. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I vote silver.
    Having owned both, the silver has just a bit more pop than the white (none pearl).

Post Thanks / Like

Both are boring. Maybe a light grey which can have more depth but won't be bad as a dark color?
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast