autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Questions on paint thickness readings

Hello everyone.

First off this is my first time using a paint thickness gauge. I did calibrate it. But wondering if I'm still using it right.

I did test different areas on all 3 cars. But the readings I'm showing you are on from the roof of the cars.

First is a factory paint on a 03 cobra mustang which seems pretty normal.

Second is a 90 mustang that has been repainted at some point and I did a paint correction on it almost two years ago. But it has rarely been driven since. Can this even be right? I tried it several times and got anywhere from 25-32ish.

The 3rd is a 67 fastback mustang that was also repainted at some point. I can't tell if it's a single stage paint.

Any help would be great Questions on paint thickness readings

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2. Thanks jeffb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on paint thickness readings

I’d say the first thing to do is take multiple measurements on the same spot and see what the consistency is between readings. This will give you some confidence of the meter results. Alternatively, using one spot with multiple readings may help you dial in the method to use it to get consistent results. Step 1 with a meter is getting consistent results, then you can start to use the results to make decisions.

As far as the factory paint, that seems reasonable. The 3rd car with a repaint also seems reasonable. The 2nd car with 30+ is way overkill and may have had an inexperienced painter than put the paint/clear coat on way too thick.

You may want to take a measurement under the hood to see what you get as that is usually just paint without clearcoat, at least from the factory.

4. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is another data point to support my position that PTG's are not typically necessary in the detailing world.

What useful information have you gathered from such widely varying measurements? The only information I can gather is that two of the vehicles have been repaired/repainted, but a good visual inspection would likely provide that same information.

How do any of the measurements you made help with any decisions on polishing? They don't in my eyes.

6. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I’d say the first thing to do is take multiple measurements on the same spot and see what the consistency is between readings. This will give you some confidence of the meter results. Alternatively, using one spot with multiple readings may help you dial in the method to use it to get consistent results. Step 1 with a meter is getting consistent results, then you can start to use the results to make decisions.

As far as the factory paint, that seems reasonable. The 3rd car with a repaint also seems reasonable. The 2nd car with 30+ is way overkill and may have had an inexperienced painter than put the paint/clear coat on way too thick.

You may want to take a measurement under the hood to see what you get as that is usually just paint without clearcoat, at least from the factory.
    Good advice, I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    This thread is another data point to support my position that PTG's are not typically necessary in the detailing world.

What useful information have you gathered from such widely varying measurements? The only information I can gather is that two of the vehicles have been repaired/repainted, but a good visual inspection would likely provide that same information.

How do any of the measurements you made help with any decisions on polishing? They don't in my eyes.
    Solid points. I really want to determine if the 67 is a single stage paint or has clear coat. It definitely looks different than the other two cars paint.

I just bought some Griot's Boss fast acting cream and perfecting cream polish that I plan on trying out.

Post Thanks / Like

03 Cobra seems right

The '90 Mustang likley has some light filler in it or it has been scuffed and repainted about 8 times lol. Take more measurements from the rest of the vehicle.

The '67 seems fine for a car scuffed and repainted 2 times.

You wanna see if it's ss paint take a polish and a microfiber and rub it on there. Red transfer= ss
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubbs View Post
    ... I really want to determine if the 67 is a single stage paint or has clear coat...
    Just take a white cloth and a little compound or polish. Hand polish a small spot to see if you get any pigment transfer. If you do, then it is not clear coated. If you get no transfer, then it is clear coated.

10. Likes Bruno Soares, Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I want to know is the cool license plate.
    KORNFED?
    As in e85?
    Very cleverQuestions on paint thickness readings

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

12. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just take a white cloth and a little compound or polish. Hand polish a small spot to see if you get any pigment transfer. If you do, then it is not clear coated. If you get no transfer, then it is clear coated.
    Will do, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan1 View Post
    What I want to know is the cool license plate.
    KORNFED?
    As in e85?
    Very cleverQuestions on paint thickness readings

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    You are correct!

14. Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.