autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire coating prep for new tires

New conti’s on my charger, going to use optimum tire coating on them.

Washed and cleaned them with megs gold / Adams tire and rubber cleaner using drill bit brush, will wash and clean at least be more time prior to applying coating.

How long should I wait before applying coating? Something about the new tire off gassing?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire coating prep for new tires

I don't think the tires release gases like a new interior does, but rather has a mold release agent that causes browning of the tires.

I find Tuf Shine tire cleaner to work great. Keep scrubbing until the soap is white.

Some say to wait a few weeks before cleaning and coating.

3. Thanks jlindyman thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Rsurfer said.

Tuf Shine Cleaner is good. Stoner’s Tarminaror is also a good one to use before a tire cleaner to reduce the number of cleanings. 303 Tire and Rubber Cleaner is supposed to be another strong tire cleaner. Realize that you might have to clean the tire 5-7+ times to get it not to turn brown. May want to clean the tire until it doesn’t turn brown, then wait 2 weeks and do it again, then apply the coating.

5. Thanks jlindyman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would clean them weekly until that mold wax release is completely gone. I never used that tire coating so I don't know how it reacts to any mold wax release still left. The Mckee's tire coating for example would turn brown. Not noticeable upon application but after a few miles drives. You could try some stoners tarminator as well after cleaning the tire.

7. Thanks jlindyman thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuff shine helps. I throw everything I have at them. Full scrub, next. Full scrub, next. etc
    Usually there is a gummy type substance left that I wipe off with a solvent soaked rag. Then repeat above.

9. Thanks jlindyman thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I do when I coat tires is wipe them with a rag and some kerosene. (Really cuts through the crud) Then I follow up with a dedicated tire cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I put on one of armourall’s coatings a couple years ago that was supposed to be one of their first coatings, and it was terrible …..it was splotchy it and flaked I don’t remember what it was called, I called armor all to complain and they agreed that it was probably reacting to something on the tire, I tried taking it off with kerosene and some other products, And it didn’t work …..I called them back and they said that I should use stoners Tarminator, it worked like a charm and brought me back to Virgin rubber.
    Glen -

12. Thanks jlindyman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I put on one of armourall’s coatings a couple years ago that was supposed to be one of their first coatings, and it was terrible …..it was splotchy it and flaked I don’t remember what it was called, I called armor all to complain and they agreed that it was probably reacting to something on the tire, I tried taking it off with kerosene and some other products, And it didn’t work …..I called them back and they said that I should use stoners Tarminator, it worked like a charm and brought me back to Virgin rubber.
    Are you talking about that Outlast spray coating? I tried that too and the results were a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that’s it, terrible product, there wasn’t really anything on the wheel that I could tell that reacted with it , it was just a mess

and although I don’t like things that don’t work properly, I REALLY don’t like things that don’t work properly and then turn semi permanent so that you can’t unwind it…The other one that comes to mind like that is the original recipe of carPro reload, a total cluster to get off after it went on splotchy…..
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Yes that’s it, terrible product, there wasn’t really anything on the wheel that I could tell that reacted with it , it was just a mess

and although I don’t like things that don’t work properly, I REALLY don’t like things that don’t work properly and then turn semi permanent so that you can’t unwind it…The other one that comes to mind like that is the original recipe of carPro reload, a total cluster to get off after it went on splotchy…..
    I never experienced that 1st batch of Reload, but I know exactly what you mean as far as that spray on coating.. Right about that same time there seemed to be several competing products such as Megs Ultimate Black Restorer in a spray can and that too was 1 of those products that turned semi permanent and was fairly easy to get wrong and if you did good luck trying to remove it. Friggin nightmare. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast