autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

EPA Safer Choice - Why No Detailing Companies?

Hey guys, hope everyone's having a great day. Does anyone have any industry knowledge as to why there aren't any detailing chemicals that are EPA Safer Choice approved? I see plenty of well known general cleaners that have been approved by the EPA, but none from detailing specific companies.

As someone who cares about the long term health of both myself and my employees, I would love to see a detailing company be the first to get certified and hopefully start a trend

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EPA Safer Choice - Why No Detailing Companies?

Cost and return.

First, there is the potential that some of the chemicals can’t be Safer Choice listed but I don’t know if that is true or not.

But even if the products could be listed as safer choice, would that give them a consumer advantage? Would a consumer choose one detailing product over another because it has an EPA Safer Choice label? Would a consumer choose an inferior Safer Choice product over a better non-Safer Choice labeled product? So there is some question about the value for a detailing product primarily used outside.

But as I said, getting a product labeled would add cost that would go to the consumer and so the EPA Safer Choice product would cost more. Would it help the manufacturer sale more product? Here is the workflow that requires a third-party assessment and then a validation assessment by the Safer Choice group. Both will add some level of cost to a product with products that sell many more units able to spread those costs much more effectively. Detailer products likely don’t have enough sales volume to spread those costs sufficiently. There’s also a time aspect as the company either delays the release waiting for the Safer Choice approval or they wait until they run a second batch to print new labels assuming they did get approval.

Steps to Get the Safer Choice Label on Your Product | US EPA

Post Thanks / Like

...and there you have itEPA Safer Choice - Why No Detailing Companies?^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Ecotouch used to make safer products and IMO they were GREAT! I wiped out every Target in my area when they went on clearance and snagged a gallon of the waterless wheel wash before they closed the doors. I would assume they went out of business cause no one was buying their products. lol. Probably the reason no one else has tried. NOT A BIG ENOUGH MARKET but I liked the idea. I also still have and love their tire dressing, quick wax, leather conditioner, and dashboard protect but my supply is getting LOW
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I started my working career in the autobody and painting industry and wrapped it up at a DOE Superfund site decommissioning an old nuclear research facility, with some other hazardous detours along the way...

As such, I've never come even remotely close to looking at detailing as dangerous.

Besides the lack of market for such products, I really don't see the need. Take some basic precautions with the products we have, and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Worried about epa . Get a horse .

Post Thanks / Like

Wear gloves and a respirator if you're worried or find a new profession
    CHRIS Aka Waxmaster