autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latex gloves?

Post Thanks / Like

Latex gloves?

Tried searching and couldn’t see anything but was curious to what people used for latex gloves? Thickness? Brand?

After a couple washes last week my hands are really drying out and was thinking of wearing some gloves next time to try and help some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Latex gloves?

I've been using grease monkey gloves from Walmart. They have gray ones in automotive and blue ones in with cleaning supplies but they're the same except for color. They're 6 mil and seem to fit my hands well. Finding them in stock can be an issue.

3. Likes seabiscut88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

look into "Gloveworks" at the long river place....

5. Thanks chubick253 thanked for this post
    Likes seabiscut88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually going to make a post on this recently.

I work on cars for a living, so I spend most of the day in nitrile gloves. Since the pandemic started, availability has been an issue, so I've had a chance to try various brands as we "get what we can get" from our supplier. Thankfully it's getting better than it was, but pricing has definitely gone up.

Hands down my favorite are Black Lightning gloves. 6mil. Fit well, quite durable. Really good for being able to reuse them if they're in fine shape. Between cost and environmental concern (it came up in another thread that it sounds like nitrile lives forever in land fills), I try to reuse gloves as much as possible. I have a box at home that I've barely made a dent in since after I'm done using them I'll wash them, let them dry, and use them again next time.

Black Ravens are next. I'd say an equivalent glove in quality, fit, and durability to the Black Lightnings.

Glove Plus Black Nitrile: Meh. They worked. Didn't fit as well for me as the top two, nothing remarkable regarding reuse.

Gloveworks - Sorry Bosko, I absolutely hated these. 5 mil thickness. I've never gone through gloves so fast in my career. While I can wear a pair of Black Lightnings/Ravens for a good part of a day, the Gloveworks would frequently barely make it through a single car. Their lower cost was absolutely offset by how fast they were failing. It literally got the point I'd start putting another glove on over one where a finger/back/etc tore just so I could keep working. Not only would they fail just putting them back on if you tried to reuse them, but I'd also have them blow out just putting one on straight from the box.

7. Likes seabiscut88, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Gloveworks - Sorry Bosko, .
    So........use the 8 mil like I do....lol

9. Likes oneheadlite, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ordered some Black Ravens…. 6 mil xl.

I appreciate the disposable part and I was looking for something along those lines.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscut88 View Post
    Tried searching and couldn’t see anything but was curious to what people used for latex gloves? Thickness? Brand?

After a couple washes last week my hands are really drying out and was thinking of wearing some gloves next time to try and help some.

Isn't Latex and Nitrile gloves different?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    So........use the 8 mil like I do....lol

I could see that helping the blowout factor. For all day dexterity the slightly thinner gloves are nice. When I was at the dealership that had a couple different kinds on hand at all times and I'd often use the thicker ones when doing CV Boots. They do get hotter in the summer.

Ordered some Black Ravens…. 6 mil xl.

I appreciate the disposable part and I was looking for something along those lines.
    I hope you like them. Again, to me they walk the line nicely between disposable if you choose to but durable enough to re-use to cut down on waste/cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Yep, I thought so too. I'm guessing it's kinda like a kleenex/facial tissue situation here.

EDIT: Bad example on my part. I was going for "The same but different", but knee jerked to brand name/product name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I am sure you are probably correct.

Before 10-12 hours ago I hadn’t ever really thought much of it never buying or using either I never really took the time to look into the definitions and chemical make up of either latex or nitrile to be able to know they aren’t interchangeable terms. Thank you for the clarification but what brand? Or material do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure you are probably correct.

Before 10-12 hours ago I hadn’t ever really thought much of it never buying or using either I never really took the time to look into the definitions and chemical make up of either latex or nitrile to be able to know they aren’t interchangeable terms. Thank you for the clarification but what brand? Or material do you prefer?

If your not using toxic chemicals than latex or vinyl will do. I don't always use chemicals, but always use nitrile gloves when gloves are called for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast