autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need recommendation for towels for first ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    What coating are you applying? One coat or two?
    This is my first attempt at applying a coating. Following Mike "The Guz"'s suggestions, I will either be applying Gyeon CanCoat Evo or Gyeon One Evo, followed by an application of Gyeon Cure, since I will have to apply it outside.

2. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go with CanCoat you won’t need to use a two towel method as it goes on very thin and doesn’t leave a lot left over to be leveled. If you’re going with One, I like TRC 300’s for my initial wipe followed by TwoFace from CarPro. I also agree with having a bucket with some APC to put these towels in so they can be used for future detail work.

4. Likes joebruin77, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If you go with CanCoat you won’t need to use a two towel method as it goes on very thin and doesn’t leave a lot left over to be leveled. If you’re going with One, I like TRC 300’s for my initial wipe followed by TwoFace from CarPro. I also agree with having a bucket with some APC to put these towels in so they can be used for future detail work.
    This is good info. CanCoat comes with the included towel.

I just did a layer of CanCoat with the included towel and that was is. A second towel would be an insurance policy for high spots. But it’s pretty hard to get high spots with it.

Flip the towel to a dry side every so often and spray into the wet side and that one towel would be more than enough.

For One the TRC edgeless 300’s are a good option. I use them for both leveling and final wipe off. CarPro 2face lite towels are also good.

6. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just coated my car over the weekend. I’ve used trc pearl, edgeless 300 and edgeless 365. Here is what I think works best when applying csl + evo since that’s the costing I went with.

With csl, you can use edgeless 300. Two towels one for leveling and one for buffing excess product off. 2-3 towels should get the job done.

With exo v4 or a “topper coat” your towels get loaded a lot and that’s normal. I personally found that using the pearl towels worked better sicnce they did a better job picking up the exo. Again topper coats tend to smear around a lot more due to the base coats properties.

I initially went with the edgeless 300 since those seem to be safer in not marring but I had to use 3 towel method since it felt like it was just pushing the product around. Had incident where my 3rd towel transferred some exo back onto the surface. Decided to switch to a pearl towel for leveling and a edgeless 300 or 365 for buffing/removing excess. The CSL and EXO provided enough slickness to prevent marring for initial leveling but I would not recommend using a pearl for a final wipe off as that can be a bit harsh on the paint.

With this combo, I found that I don’t have to throw away 4-5 edgeless towels in between each coating since those generally cost more than the pearls. I will however suggest you go with pearl towels that are only edgeless. Mine had edges and could be a reason why they caused marring.

8. Likes dgage, joebruin77 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12