autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz UK Questions

Hi Guys

I have a new white Tesla Model 3, and would like to give it 2 x coats of CQuartz UK.

1. After applying two coats, how long do I need to wait before driving the car and getting it wet/washing it?
    2. What is the difference between Reload and Elixir, and what would be best for maintaining/protecting the CQuartz?
    3. Am I better off using Reflect or Essence prior to the application of CQuartz? Which pad should I use on my DA?
    4. Will 30ml of CQuartz be sufficient for 2 x coats?5. The Tesla has white vegan leather. It stipulates no coatings to be applied, however there are plenty of folks online who've stained their seats by wearing jeans. Any tried/tested products I can apply to the seats to protect them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz UK Questions

Just my answers, long time cquk user
    1. A few days
    2.reload after coating, elixr occasionally, a few times a year
    3.essence gloss enhancer-medium to soft pad, blue or black will be fine
    4.yes, 30ml will be sufficient..no idea about interior but I trust gyeon products for this. I actually keep a quick 0n/off seat cover on my seats, for during the week use, pull it off in 10 secs for show off events- on Amazon called an Aires seat defender
    Glen -

3. Thanks benny3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts.

1. You don't really need two coats. I would let the car sit for 12~24 hours before driving it. The big thing is to keep the coating dry for 24 hours. If it's a sunny dry day, you should be good to drive the car after 12 hours (IMO). Like most coatings you should NOT wash it or expose it to other chemicals for 7 days.

2. I'm starting to wonder the same thing. RELOAD is billed as a durable coating topper and Elixr as a QD with some durability. In my experience Elixr isn't much of a QD spray, but it does boost gloss and is surprisingly durable. RELOAD doesn't get much love due to poor performance by many.

3. This depends on what you're trying to do with them. If correcting, use the pad needed to get rid of the defects. If you're just trying to prep the surface and amp up the gloss a bit, I'd use a medium or light polishing pad depending on the hardness of the paint. A medium pad like a Lake Country White Thin Pro would probably be a good choice.

4. 30mL is plenty for the exterior of the car. I would not use this coating on the interior at all. When it dries it hardens and that is not what you want on things like leather/fake leather/cloth. I also wouldn't use it on any soft touch surfaces. There are interior coatings which are designed for soft interior surfaces if that is what you want to do. I don't know what the vegan leather is made out of, but I'd stick to a product designed for interiors.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks benny3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    Hi Guys

I have a new white Tesla Model 3, and would like to give it 2 x coats of CQuartz UK.

1. After applying two coats, how long do I need to wait before driving the car and getting it wet/washing it?
    2. What is the difference between Reload and Elixir, and what would be best for maintaining/protecting the CQuartz?
    3. Am I better off using Reflect or Essence prior to the application of CQuartz? Which pad should I use on my DA?
    4. Will 30ml of CQuartz be sufficient for 2 x coats?5. The Tesla has white vegan leather. It stipulates no coatings to be applied, however there are plenty of folks online who've stained their seats by wearing jeans. Any tried/tested products I can apply to the seats to protect them?

First, congrats on the new ride. I've worked on many different ones. UK Is a great product. If this is for your own personal car stay with 1-2 layers of that but I enjoy topping UK with their SiC products for a number of reasons but more on that later but really only if you are looking to buy another product.

I personally would suggest Essence. Again, more reasons that a main one but it does serve as a base-layer of protection and makes the application of their coatings easier, especially when removing the carrier solvents.

I don't use either reload or Elixer. There's really no need to use a topper however, many of us do. I use Beadmaker as it's cheap, effective, doesn't mess with the properties of the coating but fills my need to "touch" and add slickness.

30ml is more than enough especially given the top is all glass and you'll likely do that with something else. Leather wise, white tesla vegan leather resists a lot of transfer well but to help, I really like Leathermasters Leather Barrier product for prevention and easy removal of any that does occur.

I use a lot of the above so I hope the above really helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Thanks benny3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

Congrats. CarPro does recommend two layers so you are fine there. The coating needs to not get wet for 24 hours. Corey covers the reason why two layers are recommended at the 2:25 mark.

[FONT=Arial]
    Reload is a silica spray sealant used as a maintenance product every so often. Elixir is a quick detailer that contains a mixture of Reload, EcH2o and Hydro2. It has the ability to clean light dust although EcH2o would be the better option if you plan to wipe light dust or using a waterless wash.

There is a love hate thing with Reload as its hydrophobic behavior does not last long and goes into sheeting. This gives the impression that the coating has failed but in reality it is Reload. Once it is shed it, the coatings behavior will return.

Elixir does not do that. Its hydrophobic behavior lasts a bit longer.

The only time I apply Reload is to someone else's car will see the real world for the first week. It is an insurance policy to keep the coating from spotting during the curing time in the first week.

[FONT=Arial]
    Personal preference here on the polish. You will be doing a panel wipe with either one. If the paint is soft then I would choose Essence. But Reflect is a great option. As far as the pad, well you are going to have to do a test spot to see which gives you the results you are expecting. Just know that these two polishes do not have a lot of cut. Especially Essence which has less than Reflect.

[FONT=Arial]
    4. Will 30ml of CQuartz be sufficient for 2 x coats?[FONT=Arial]

30ml will be enough for just the paint with two layers. If you are planning to coat the wheels you may want to go with the 50ml. The reason I say this is new users to coatings tend to go heavy on the application. But 30ml will be enough for an average size vehicle when doing just the paint.

5. The Tesla has white vegan leather. It stipulates no coatings to be applied, however there are plenty of folks online who've stained their seats by wearing jeans. Any tried/tested products I can apply to the seats to protect them?
    Get yourself colourlock leather shield since the car is brand new. Vegan Leather is more of a fancy term for vinyl.

9. Thanks benny3 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Get yourself colourlock leather shield since the car is brand new. Vegan Leather is more of a fancy term for vinyl.
    I wondered about that. Sounds like it is the same thing BMW calls Sensatec, Mercedes call MB Tex, and Lexus calls Nulux Leather. Vinyl conjures too many memories of that stuff we all used to stick to and sweat all over in the 70's and 80's.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this mate.

After researching beadmaker (hadn't heard of it before down here in Aus), it looks like exactly what I'm after - super slick and super glossy.

Regarding beadmaker:

What's the durability like?
    Can it hurt the CQuartz underneath?
    Is there even a point to using CQuartz if I'm regularly applying the beadmaker?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Vegan Leather is more of a fancy term for vinyl.
    Lol! That’s hilarious but true. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this mate.

After researching beadmaker (hadn't heard of it before down here in Aus), it looks like exactly what I'm after - super slick and super glossy.

Regarding beadmaker:

I suggest you try the small bottle of bead maker first. I went straight for the gallon and hated it. Very slick and glossy but didn’t last more than a week and made the car a dust/pollen magnet. UK is a million times better and definitely worth getting. I don’t think BM will hurt it, at least not significantly. But If you notice the car attracting dust, don’t blame UK.
    Bruno Soares

14. Thanks benny3 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this mate.

Regarding beadmaker:

Bead maker could be considered a topper, drying aid, or quick detailer. But even though P&S say it offers protection, that is VERY short lived unless the vehicle lives in the garage. So yes, you absolutely need paint protection. If you plan to top often, you may not need as strong a coating so a coating light product could work such as CQuartz Lite or Gyeon CanCoat. But realize the topper will often dictate the water behavior as you’ll pretty much be overriding the underlying coating’s hydrophobics but you’ll definitely have good protection.

You could also look at a sealant such as Griot’s Ceramic 3-in-1 if you’re going to apply every 4 months or so and then you could use their Ceramic Speed Shine for the more regular use topper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast