autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cold weather drying aid/quick detailer

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    First do you have the 1st or 2nd gen hydrate? 2nd gen looks like blue lotion. 1st gen a little more watery.

I use 1 to 2 sprays per panel. Don’t need a lot. I use mainly on coated cars.

I’m a different case. On my cquk3 coated car, I found nothing affected the water behavior. But even on current non coated car i still don’t find it affects the protection. There is very little protection in hydrate.

Maybe your not removing all?

Towel may make a difference….. i use pfm’s
    When did they revise hydrate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Try Feynlab RW for getting that road grime off and if the suggested ratio doesn't work, kick it "a little" and I mean A LITTKE, stuff is oretty damn strong Cold weather drying aid/quick detailer
    The problem I ran into wasn't an issue of getting the grime off, it was more the fact that the car was accumulating road film in a way it wasn't before I started using ONR for rinseless washing.

First do you have the 1st or 2nd gen hydrate? 2nd gen looks like blue lotion. 1st gen a little more watery.

I use 1 to 2 sprays per panel. Don’t need a lot. I use mainly on coated cars.

I’m a different case. On my cquk3 coated car, I found nothing affected the water behavior. But even on current non coated car i still don’t find it affects the protection. There is very little protection in hydrate.

Maybe your not removing all?

Towel may make a difference….. i use pfm’s
    I got it in the past few months; I'm thinking it's the thinner version. I don't remember it being blue.

I'll have to give it another shot and report back. I feel like I was using a couple/few sprays per panel - I can't remember what towel I was using. Most of the time I'm using PFMs, so probably one of those, but it may have been with a 400ish GSM eagle edgeless or a gold plush jr.

I split my hood in half between Hydrate and Ceramic Speed Shine, and water would run off the CSS side noticeably faster. I've gotta start labeling panel pictures in my phone - I swear I've taken so many pictures of random comparos that I don't remember what's what any more.

It's been a couple months since I played with it. Been dying to get the car cleaned up but it's been sub 20° here a bunch lately it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

I will use touchless coin op before a rinseless in winter sometimes.

I’ll foam from IK, rinse, drive through touchless and then rinseless if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which ik foamer do you have? Im thinking about getting one to do just as you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Which ik foamer do you have? Im thinking about getting one to do just as you mentioned.

Not to steal Cracks thunder but I've got all 3 of them and IMO if you have to get one, I'd get the IK 1.5. The thing you have to be aware of is the felt filter inside the tip, once it get dirty it needs to be changed out. The IK 1.5 has a compartment in the handle to store them, along with the other inserts for foam type (I never change them out, I use the green one IIRC) This one is bigger than the original, so it holds more product and much less expensive than the Foam9 is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Not to steal Cracks thunder but I've got all 3 of them and IMO if you have to get one, I'd get the IK 1.5. The thing you have to be aware of is the felt filter inside the tip, once it get dirty it needs to be changed out. The IK 1.5 has a compartment in the handle to store them, along with the other inserts for foam type (I never change them out, I use the green one IIRC) This one is bigger than the original, so it holds more product and much less expensive than the Foam9 is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Not stealing it at all...thanks for the help! I thought after i posted the question that i would hope you would chime in as i remembered seeing you talk about using them.

In your experience....would it foam a whole car without refilling?

Post Thanks / Like

I will use touchless coin op before a rinseless in winter sometimes.
    There are a couple of old school touchless coin-op car washes still alive but most are dead here in Knoxville, TN. There used to be a few touchless automatic washes but I searched and the only one I found was in the back of a gas station and after checking it out, I passed. Over the last 5 years, there have been a couple DOZEN new car wash places pop up with a tunnel automatic (swirl-o-matic) wash with free vacuums, which is why the old coin-op places have gone the way of the dodo except for a few.

I just wait until I can do a rinseless a few times a winter. I prespray with a waterless and then use sopping wet towels from a bucket of rinseless using a shat load of them as Opie would say.

8. Likes opie, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    using a shat load of them as Opie would say.
    Hahahahaha right on

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cold weather drying aid/quick detailer

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    When did they revise hydrate?
    Not sure. Just remember seeing video. I think when frothe came out so it could be used with it.

The new version looks light blue and sprays on thick like a lotion. The older version was more watery like a QD spray.

Edit: If you go watch the Ammo Frothe video Larry has, it will show the difference in how it looks at the 6:40 mark.

12. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    So I just got back from the quarter car wash. I learned a couple things.

I brought a bucket, my long-handled chenille mitt, EGO 530, Griot's Speed Shine, and a plush drying towel.

My process was:
    1. Rinsed car using the warm water high pressure rinse top to bottom
    2. Used the "soap" setting to spray the car bottom to top and filled up my bucket with a couple gallons of whatever their soapy concoction is
    3. Washed the car with my chenille mitt, periodically dipping into the bucket (basically a 1BM)
    4. Loaded more money and rinsed car with warm high pressure rinse
    5. Blow dry with EGO 530 to get 70% of the water off (paint is getting clogged or my Meg's HCW is failing prematurely... the vertical surfaces didn't bead water very well, but sheeted decently)
    6. Sprayed whole car lightly with Speed Shine
    7. Towel dried with plush drying towel (no noticeable streaking, but also it was cold so I didn't analyze it too much)

This seemed to work well, but next time I would like to fill my bucket at home with my own soap. That way I know it's pH neutral and I don't waste time/money filling it at the car wash. I need to buy a lid for my bucket first.

Second thing I learned, Speed Shine does quite well in colder temps!
    Bring multiple mitts in the bucket, like 6-7. It’s easier at the spray and pray than a 2 bucket and with winter grime would never wash with out this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    The problem I ran into wasn't an issue of getting the grime off, it was more the fact that the car was accumulating road film in a way it wasn't before I started using ONR for rinseless washing.

I got it in the past few months; I'm thinking it's the thinner version. I don't remember it being blue.

I'll have to give it another shot and report back. I feel like I was using a couple/few sprays per panel - I can't remember what towel I was using. Most of the time I'm using PFMs, so probably one of those, but it may have been with a 400ish GSM eagle edgeless or a gold plush jr.

I split my hood in half between Hydrate and Ceramic Speed Shine, and water would run off the CSS side noticeably faster. I've gotta start labeling panel pictures in my phone - I swear I've taken so many pictures of random comparos that I don't remember what's what any more.

It's been a couple months since I played with it. Been dying to get the car cleaned up but it's been sub 20° here a bunch lately it seems.
    If past few months then new. The CSS has GGCW3-1 in it. I would suspect that is why it’s running off better. It has better protection in it.

The hydrate has very little protection in it. I like it because i feel it is the best product to not mar the paint.

I am starting to see the light in that Not affecting/worrying about performance of my LSP isn’t important. Not scratching the paint is.

Got a blower to blow dry.

Using more pre washes and will use alkaline ones more as they remove more dirt before contact wash.

I will still rinseless and Frothe just be more selective when I use them.

The reason I like Hydrate is that the PFM’s feel “softer” when drying with hydrate…. Like wiping butter onto paint.

What ever hydrate may leave behind will be gone by next rain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast