autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless technique for wheels - does one exist?

My mother-in-law passed away, which is a great opportunity to get the car looking right for the service. It's gonna be COLD tonight and tomorrow, but I can get to a garage for a rinseless touch-up.

I haven't tried anything on the wheels in terms of rinseless; usually I go straight with the soap and bucket, but that won't fly considering the cold temps.

I have both the BRS and UBS but I don't think I want to touch the wheels with those. What's next? Maybe a bunch of MFs to wipe down each wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless technique for wheels - does one exist?

Do you have a wheel brush? That’s what I normally use and then dry the wheels when I’m done and that gets things clean. Definitely use a second bucket to rinse the brush, then throw out the rinseless wash when you’re done with the wheels and start fresh for a rinseless paint wash.

Without a wheel brush, I’d recommend multiple towels and rolling your towels ala the Ammo Frothe method. I’ve done both methods and either work to get the wheels clean and my wheels are painted but I haven’t noticed any swirls.

3. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Do you have a wheel brush? That’s what I normally use and then dry the wheels when I’m done and that gets things clean. Definitely use a second bucket to rinse the brush, then throw out the rinseless wash when you’re done with the wheels and start fresh for a rinseless paint wash.

Without a wheel brush, I’d recommend multiple towels and rolling your towels ala the Ammo Frothe method. I’ve done both methods and either work to get the wheels clean and my wheels are painted but I haven’t noticed any swirls.
    I have a MF mitt that I use exclusively for the wheels. I do have a bunch of towels that have been demoted from "paint" to "anything other than paint", so I think I'll go that route. I bet I could get away with only using a single towel, too. For a quick touch-up, that should work.

5. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 ftowels that are solely dedicated to doing my wheels, I do my wheels about once a month so it’s never really caked on dirt , just dust. I do a rinseless technique with exactly like the paint, pull one towel out of the solution wipe the wheel down, discard the towel and move onto the next wheel with a new towel. I’ve been using the leaf blower to dry them, they always come out perfect. Once a year I completely clean the wheel down with Sonax and apply BF Hydroseal..
    Glen -

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a half ass job on wheels when doing rinseless and wash just the face. I’ve done the barrels once but it leaves a mess in the garage as that dirty water runs under the car and dries leaving dark areas on the concrete. My wheels aren’t usually very dirty to need the barrels done in the winter but as soon as the weather is good I wash them properly outside.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to watch.

Weekend Wash - Rinseless Washing Wheels and Tires
    Weekend Wash - Rinseless Washing Wheels and Tires - YouTube

11. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the same solution for doing my RW or WW to clean my tires/wheel faces when I'm pressed for time (I prefer to drag out my Worx hydroshot and Bucket Buddy w/5 gallon bucket and Brake Buster for a proper cleaning) I'll liberally pre-treat the tires/wheels/wells and then simply swipe clean with designated mf towels.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

13. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    My mother-in-law passed away, which is a great opportunity to get the car looking right for the service. It's gonna be COLD tonight and tomorrow, but I can get to a garage for a rinseless touch-up.

I haven't tried anything on the wheels in terms of rinseless; usually I go straight with the soap and bucket, but that won't fly considering the cold temps.

I have both the BRS and UBS but I don't think I want to touch the wheels with those. What's next? Maybe a bunch of MFs to wipe down each wheel?
    How dirty are wheels? If standard winter dirty i just clean the faces. Pre treat with a waterless and then wipe down wheels with 2 rinsless towels.

Me personally I use frothe now. Pretreat with waterless, let dwell 2-3 minutes. Cover in frothe let dwell for a minute and wipe away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    How dirty are wheels? If standard winter dirty i just clean the faces. Pre treat with a waterless and then wipe down wheels with 2 rinsless towels.

Me personally I use frothe now. Pretreat with waterless, let dwell 2-3 minutes. Cover in frothe let dwell for a minute and wipe away.

Not going all into the barrels, just the faces. As a matter of fact, I don't even have the brushes necessary to tackle barrels.

Any suggestions??

Just the faces of the wheels, which are chrome...which is generally pretty resilient if I'm not mistaken.

I ended up soaking a MF in ONR and gently wiped the faces, then dried. It's dark out and I did it ultra fast, but it brought back the shine and that's good enough for this guy!

16. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Not going all into the barrels, just the faces. As a matter of fact, I don't even have the brushes necessary to tackle barrels.

Any suggestions??

Just the faces of the wheels, which are chrome...which is generally pretty resilient if I'm not mistaken.

I ended up soaking a MF in ONR and gently wiped the faces, then dried. It's dark out and I did it ultra fast, but it brought back the shine and that's good enough for this guy!
    I find that real chrome scratches easy. Modern chrome (PVD) is probably what you have and yeah it should be fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast