autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I being unrealistic? Remaining scratches after professional detail

^ Keep in mind I did not want a full correction, only a light polish. But yes I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going yo say it at this point....what the ####!!
    You guys keep saying he should do a better job for that price....
    Who charges $3400 for a light polish and gets away with it....I'd like to shake the dudes hand and say.....bravo buddy.......you fuckin win the bobbie prize!!

This has to be a joke.....I'm out.......good luck man

3. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears to be relatively light defects left, something even a quick, 4-pass 1-step should have removed or significantly improved. Unfortunately any mention of "Preserving clear coat vs going for near perfect" left the door open to detailers subjective assesment on just what that means...and what he can get away with if you want to take a pessimistic view of his intentions.

When I've had a pro do work on my cars they spent significant time spent disussing budget vs expectations and any discrepancies between the 2, much back and forth so no surprises at the end.

I'd guess you're somewhat at the detailers mercy given that they have the 'out' of the "Preserving clearcoat..." thing. Hopefully they'll step up and remedy as on the surface, that seems like poor work no matter the situation and leeway your desire for preservation might have given them.

The PPF ain't cheap and that was a good part of the cost I'd imagine and given that PPF can cover a significant level of defects, quite possible those sections got the same light polish but outta sight, ouuta mind; i was never too concerned with what paint looks like under the PPF though as ling as it looked good on top.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    I'm going yo say it at this point....what the ####!!
    You guys keep saying he should do a better job for that price....
    Who charges $3400 for a light polish and gets away with it....I'd like to shake the dudes hand and say.....bravo buddy.......you fuckin win the bobbie prize!!

This has to be a joke.....I'm out.......good luck man
    Did you read the entire post? The price was for full front PPF (bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors), polish, ceramic coating, and engine bay cleaning.

Is $3,400 on the high end of the range for all that work? Yes, but I'm fine paying it if the work is good. It wasn't in this case, but that's a separate issue of whether the price is worth it. This is the going rate for what is supposed to be a high-end PPF and detail where I live. PPF is not cheap.

BudgetPlan1, I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the situation being colored by the "clear coat preservation" conversation.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c0rbin9 View Post
    If this was the level of polish I had paid for, I would expect the entire car to look like this. The rest of the car looks great though, it is only these areas which are still swirled. That suggests that these areas were simply overlooked rather than this being the level of correction of a light polish.

The front PPF is kind of a mixed bag. It seems to have been installed okay, but he installed it over 3 quite noticeable rock chips on the hood. These were supposed to be touched up with the Dr. Colorchip kit that I supplied, but the touch-up wouldn't stick. I understand old cars can be finicky, but the first I heard of this was AFTER he had already installed the PPF over the chips. I would have appreciated knowing before so I might have the opportunity to wait longer for the touch-up to dry, which I'm sure would have made the repair stay. He said he never had a problem before waiting 24 hours for touch-up to dry, but this is less than the directions recommend, and I should have at least been given the option to wait another few days before picking up the car so the touch-up would have to dry before installing the PPF. Now I have PPF installed over three ugly rock chips on the hood, and I don't want to take it off for fear of lifting the paint.

Engine bay was also supposed to be cleaned but still had dirt. So far this is the only thing he has agreed to rectify. This guy is supposed to be one of the top detailers in Houston, so I am a bit surprised by all this.
    That’s not necessary true, sometimes if the paint is riddled with defects when you remove the lighter swirls new defects get exposed. This type of stuff happens often, agree on a light polish and then the customer goes over the car more than he has ever done and nobody is happy. When I do one steps I have a disclaimer in the contract for this exact reason.

8. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, after having 2 cars done with full PPF, I don't really think $3400 is out of line for full front PPF, 1-step correction and full ceramic IF the work done is satisfactory.

To me, the issue here is not the price but rather the questionable outcome.

10. Likes dgage, c0rbin9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets not be rude. He’s not whining he just needed to tell someone what happened, get opinions and talk about it. Nothing wrong with that, I mean who else better to talk to about this stuff than the people here. Least we can do is be civil.

12. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Least we can do is be civil.
    I mean seriously. It’s not like this is the Covid discussion. Lol!

14. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For $3400 I'd have considered repainting it for ya.
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

16. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I mean seriously. It’s not like this is the Covid discussion. Lol!
    I haven’t clicked on that 1 since my last post a long time ago… I can only imagine.Am I being unrealistic? Remaining scratches after professional detaillol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast