autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Need your help/advice

Im trying to get water spots off my friends 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 off road and questions and road blocks are popping up.
    I tried water spot remover on them, nope need to be buffed out. The truck is kept under a carport in SC. When he washes it, it gets hosed off and not dried completely. The water spots are etched in. Got the windows with Wolfgang glass polish but the body is a different story. I have a Griot’s G9 a orange pad and Griot’s compound test spot seems to be getting almost all of them.

1) Lots of plastic. Front and back bumper are a kind of matted color not the finish on the truck. I’m thinking “don’t machine buff”

2) 3M PPF. It’s all over this truck. Hood, bottom of fenders, door edges and the edges of it (where it ends and meets the paint) are black. The portion on the hood had lots of water spots, I took a sponge applicator with Griot’s compound and took most of them out by hand. Can you buff PPF and if so what do you use? I couldn’t find any information in a forum search.

3) Microfiber pads. I have never used them. I just got a couple in a bundle package I ordered from Autogeek. They are the Griot’s Boss 6.5 pads. Is there anything special I need to watch out for or do when I use them. I understand they are more aggressive than foam pads (is that right?)

I really appreciate any help. I was in the middle of detailing this truck and had a heart attack now I have to get it finished and back to my friend quick.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need your help/advice

Yes microfiber pads are more aggressive.

As for the other questions sorry i don't have experience with ppf

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anything I need to watch out for or be more cautious about with them? Different techniques?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BHC101 View Post
    Is there anything I need to watch out for or be more cautious about with them? Different techniques?

Thanks
    If its a fresh pad, make sure you fully prime the pad b4 hand. Also for best results after each panel refluff the fibers of the pad, ideally using compressed air. If no access to air, then use a pad brush or microfiber towel. Air is best imo

Also on softer paint it can cause some hazing

Video from mike p. Skip to 56 minute mark

How deep is too deep - Dealing with bad scratches and paint defects in your cars paint! - YouTube
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you this helps a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to tape the edge of the PPF where it ends on the paint before polishing.

Did you have a heart attack because of the water spots or because of your heart? If the latter, hope your doing well...shouldn't be polishing a car for awhile.

7. Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, actually it was my heart thanks for asking, although those windows didn’t help!
    Thank you
    Yeah my wife is watching me like a hawk. Even threatened to lock up my buffer

9. Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like microfiber pads though I like the Rupes blue and yellow pads even more. As Opie said, using compressed air is best to clean the fibers and then fluff with a brush too. You’ll need to clean the pad more often than foam but my experience is that it takes fewer microfiber pads to do a complete car than with foam pads. But depending on the paint, you may need to follow up with a polishing pad as microfiber pads (fibers) sometimes don’t finish out completely on softer paint.

And glad you’re doing better.

11. Likes chilly, BHC101 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!