autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for working with new VW paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think there were a couple things going on from your description.

You really need better polishes than the Meguiars Ultimate products. They are simply, OK, from my experience. Plenty of others which will cut and polish better to give you much better results.

Like you found a white pad and a polish on VW paint won't do anything. When I owned my GTI, I tired both an orange pad and polish and a white pad and a compound. I found a white pad and a compound produced the best results. Over the 6~7 years I owned the car, it became my go-to strategy and was able to knock out many one-step polishes.

For any polishing products you need to do more section passes too. I typically do 5~6 on any car, regardless of paint, unless I'm just trying to do something very minor like polish out a coating high spot.

Yeah, hindsight, Meguiar's Ultimate products performance match their cost.

When you say 'polishing products' are you talking both compound and polish steps, or just the polish step?
    It was over a year and a half ago, but I think I ran the passes until the compound/polish started to dry up, which I think was around 3-4 passes. I know it was never less than 3 and I'm pretty sure I did at least 4 on everything.

At this time, I have no need to correct paint on any of my vehicles, but I'll have to keep in mind the white pad and compound combo.

It was the first time I ever picked up a DA, so I was very apprehensive, but in the end, it turned out better than I expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    When you say 'polishing products' are you talking both compound and polish steps, or just the polish step?
    Yes, I was referring to both compound and polish. Even with the Meguiars Ultimate liquids you should be able to get more than 3~4 passes before it starts to dry up. I haven't used them in a while, but working time wasn't my main complaint with those products. Maybe you need to use a little more product, I typically apply 4 pea-sized drops each time. You may also be trying to polish too large of an area. It's really hard to diagnose without being there to see what's happening.

The only product I haven't been able to at least 5~6 passes was DP's compound. It would dry up somewhere around 4 passes.

Regardless, the next time you need to polish our a vehicle, it would be worth it to look at different brands for your polishes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Thanks Odrapnew thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, hindsight, Meguiar's Ultimate products performance match their cost.

It was over a year and a half ago, but I think I ran the passes until the compound/polish started to dry up, which I think was around 3-4 passes. I know it was never less than 3 and I'm pretty sure I did at least 4 on everything.

At this time, I have no need to correct paint on any of my vehicles, but I'll have to keep in mind the white pad and compound combo.

It was the first time I ever picked up a DA, so I was very apprehensive, but in the end, it turned out better than I expected.
    Something I read in the mike philips book and ive seen elsewhere is lowering the pressure on subsequent passes. Might help preserve the working time. When detailing friends cars that is mainly correcting swirls and stuff i use Meguiars 105 and 205. (close to the ultimate compound and polish). I use the meguiars because its cheap and one bottle will do a dozen cars. It works fine but its dusty. Working on my own stuff i use Griots compound. I like the way it works better. Its also available at the box stores. Then you can order whatever polish you want.

Post Thanks / Like

All the info makes sense.
    I guess I won't know what works best on my R for (hopefully) many years...until the coating wears off or the paint gets enough swirls to require correction.

Sorry to OP for the slight hijack.

Post Thanks / Like

All the info makes sense.
    I guess I won't know what works best on my R for (hopefully) many years...until the coating wears off or the paint gets enough swirls to require correction.

Sorry to OP for the slight hijack.
    No worries! I will say that microfiber pads are your friends in the VWAG world. Couldnt make a dint in the swirls on my audi without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    Then i used some of the essence on an orange pad with my g8 mini. It removed the marring and most of the swirls, but some light scratches didn't budge. So i put some griots compound on my g9, with a microfiber pad and it gut right through in 2 passes. only a deeper scratch stayed and i didnt feel like attacking it.
    Just an reminder that Essence although being a great finishing polish it does contain “semi-permanent fillers” which may just be hiding some of your defects. You did say you followed up with Griot’s compound which would likely remove them but don’t be surprised if some of the scratches reappear.

Good luck.

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Epilogts View Post
    Just an reminder that Essence although being a great finishing polish it does contain “semi-permanent fillers” which may just be hiding some of your defects. You did say you followed up with Griot’s compound which would likely remove them but don’t be surprised if some of the scratches reappear.

Good luck.
    I'm not sure the car really had any scratches except in one or two spots. Those i could only find with specific lighting. I am fairly confident that what i was seeing as swirls was some sort of residue. A very mild hand application of m205 removed it without any issues in a few test spots. Thats why I only did a single stage polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    I'm not sure the car really had any scratches except in one or two spots.
    Sorry I was using scratches in the generic sense as a swirl and a scratch are the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Epilogts View Post
    Sorry I was using scratches in the generic sense as a swirl and a scratch are the same thing.
    I got your meaning, i think the paint was pretty much scratch/swirl free. At least that's what im going to believe until i see evidence to the contrary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12