autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newby Asking for Polish Advice

Howdy Guys, somewhat newby here with a couple of questions regarding how to approach polishing my new to me 2019 Toyota Avalon. I bought it 3 years old with 27k miles and it looks like the previous owners liked automatic car washes, and not the touchless type. I do have experience with other various cars and a Porter Cable PC7424XP polisher. My question is concerning which Meguiers product to start out using and if you guys recommend going through the 3 compounds that I will post pics of, the car's current state:

Newby Asking for Polish Advice-n9xmjtgb-jpg

Products:

Newby Asking for Polish Advice-ondmrsmb-jpg

Newby Asking for Polish Advice-zh1ekh1b-jpg

Newby Asking for Polish Advice-leozmijb-jpg

And Lastly, Where would this 3M product fall in comparison to the above, Last Step or similar to which above?

Newby Asking for Polish Advice-pzdkjhhb-jpg

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm just looking to avoid screwing up the finish, Thanks.....Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newby Asking for Polish Advice

The rule of thumb is begin with the least aggressive compound or polish and pad. Adjust both of the above until you achieve desired results

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Buster says, start with the least aggressive cut compound, better to be safe.
    Also it will give you a chance to get to know the paint(hard/soft) as well as the in's and outs of curves and contours.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not use any of those.

That Toyota Black is pretty soft and don't see any of those finishing down without micro marring.

The 3m finesse II is a good product but more geared towards a rotary and is definitely not a finishing polish especially on soft Toyota black.

The 3m finesse II would be a medium cut.

Honestly I would give Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Acrylic Polish Black a try. It is a VERY good product.

I am very much so NOT a fan of Meguiars compounds or polishes especially with so many much better products available these days.

What kind of correction are you looking for?

Are you looking to do a two step correction?
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the others have said, Toyota paint is VERY soft. This makes it very easy to correct...but also easy to swirl if you aren't careful.

I'm able to polish out our crimson Highlander using nothing but a finishing polish and a white Lake Country Flat or Thin Pro pad. I don't think I've ever had to use a compound other than to repair some scuff damage to a specific spot.

Products I've used to successfully polish out soft Toyota paint: Meguiars Ultimate Polish, DP Finishing Polish, Blackfire Polish, Optimum Hyper Polish, and Sonax 04-06. I would rank all of them equally except for the Meguiars. I found the gloss it created to not be as good as the others. The Optimum HyperPolish is the one I reach for most of the time when doing our Highlander.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes chilly, noorth, DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a finishing polish for soft paint like that. Something like Griots Boss perfecting cream, or something like an AIO like the Finishing sealant. See how that does, maybe on a ruppes yellow pad (ive had great results with them) If that doesnt work, move to something a bit more aggressive. I cant see you needing anything more than a basic compound and a basic foam cutting pad (griots compound and orange pad are fine)
    Like others said start least aggressive. If you want to stick with what you have start with the swirl remover on a polishing pad. That should cut the swirls just fine on softer paint. my .02

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Like the others have said, Toyota paint is VERY soft. This makes it very easy to correct...but also easy to swirl if you aren't careful.

I'm able to polish out our crimson Highlander using nothing but a finishing polish and a white Lake Country Flat or Thin Pro pad. I don't think I've ever had to use a compound other than to repair some scuff damage to a specific spot.

Products I've used to successfully polish out soft Toyota paint: Meguiars Ultimate Polish, DP Finishing Polish, Blackfire Polish, Optimum Hyper Polish, and Sonax 04-06. I would rank all of them equally except for the Meguiars. I found the gloss it created to not be as good as the others. The Optimum HyperPolish is the one I reach for most of the time when doing our Highlander.
    I've been looking at the Hyper polish for a while now. I keep thinking, "why no one else as this kind of polish...?"

I think i might give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I've been looking at the Hyper polish for a while now. I keep thinking, "why no one else as this kind of polish...?"

I think i might give it a whirl.
    In my opinion the weak link to the Hyper twins was always the sprayer, at least the 2 I bought, but that was years ago

I loved the product but it was expensive and I felt like half of it was wasted trying to adjust the nozzle and get it on the pad

My old PC is still a piece of abstract art from all the overspray

I think it was pink and blue

I had OPT send new sprayers and it took a couple to get through a bottle of product

I got to the point I was spritzing it directly on the panel to avoid waste

When you got it on the paint it worked and worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    In my opinion the weak link to the Hyper twins was always the sprayer, at least the 2 I bought, but that was years ago

I loved the product but it was expensive and I felt like half of it was wasted trying to adjust the nozzle and get it on the pad

My old PC is still a piece of abstract art from all the overspray

I think it was pink and blue

I had OPT send new sprayers and it took a couple to get through a bottle of product

I got to the point I was spritzing it directly on the panel to avoid waste

When you got it on the paint it worked and worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If i buy it i will probably mark the sprayer for the correction position and flush it with water after i was done polishing. Personally, its seems alot of sprayers are not the best in car detailing. Polish angels for instance is horrible.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I've never had a problem with the sprayer itself, but it does make for a very messy method of application. It is hard to not get all over the polisher and over sprayed onto other stuff.

Great polish. Messy method of delivery.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Likes noorth, chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast