autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Recommendation

I just discovered a $20 foam gun. Getting him that instead of the bucket would make washing even more fun. I'd opt for another shampoo too

It all depends on what you're willing to spend.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to all who have added their advice and recommendations.

I had already advised his mother regarding some good quality starter products (B/O products @Tasmania) such as shampoo, wash mitt and drying towel.

I think I will add some tire dressing and applicator, Bead Maker, a couple of towels and a wheel brush into the mix. I had already offered to give him a lesson / demo on car washing, I'm actually really looking forward to that. I'll have some time after Christmas, once my garage floor is installed, I will try and organize some time then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Thank you to all who have added their advice and recommendations.

I had already advised his mother regarding some good quality starter products (B/O products @Tasmania) such as shampoo, wash mitt and drying towel.

I think I will add some tire dressing and applicator, Bead Maker, a couple of towels and a wheel brush into the mix. I had already offered to give him a lesson / demo on car washing, I'm actually really looking forward to that. I'll have some time after Christmas, once my garage floor is installed, I will try and organize some time then.
    This is a good thing you are doing

I am sure it will cause a ripple effect and it will make the world a better place for a few people at least

Merry Christmas Santa DFB

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pieces of this puzzle arrived today, with a few items drawn from my "stock".

Included will be "One Free Detailing Lesson".

6. Likes Tasmania, chilly, opie, PaulMys, Bosko and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made the offer to his mother, just have to find a time when all of our schedules line up. With the holidays coming, I'm hoping to find some time to spend a few hours teaching him how to do it correctly.

He's a good kid, I sense an element of admiration from him which is a bit of a foreign concept for me. I don't have kids and probably never will so having someone to teach will be a new experience for both of us.
    Not sure if I overlooked this kind of reply to you yet or not, But I work in a Ford factory and use to train new hires when they came to the line. I didn't understand why some of them were not catching on. Then one thing one of the old timer's taught me was; Always dumbifiy yourself down to their level. Remember, they do not know what you know." Some of the best advise I have received in my life.

8. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    Not sure if I overlooked this kind of reply to you yet or not, But I work in a Ford factory and use to train new hires when they came to the line. I didn't understand why some of them were not catching on. Then one thing one of the old timer's taught me was; Always dumbifiy yourself down to their level. Remember, they do not know what you know." Some of the best advise I have received in my life.
    That's great advise.

Sometimes we take for granted the stuff that comes so naturally after years and years of practice/experience.

I'm a horticulturalist by trade, with over 20 years of professional experience. So much of what I do is instinctive, I can prunes roses with my eyes closed, and sometimes I amaze myself with how much knowledge I have accumulated over that time. When it comes time to teach or instruct someone else, it's easy to wonder why that person is not as fast as I am or doubts there ability. I know from when I was younger, I always appreciated when someone would show me how to do something but also why. Circling back to detailing, I want to show this lad how to detail, but also why we do things a certain way.

Thanks for your input, very much valued.

10. Likes opie, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great advise.

Sometimes we take for granted the stuff that comes so naturally after years and years of practice/experience.

I'm a horticulturalist by trade, with over 20 years of professional experience. So much of what I do is instinctive, I can prunes roses with my eyes closed, and sometimes I amaze myself with how much knowledge I have accumulated over that time. When it comes time to teach or instruct someone else, it's easy to wonder why that person is not as fast as I am or doubts there ability. I know from when I was younger, I always appreciated when someone would show me how to do something but also why. Circling back to detailing, I want to show this lad how to detail, but also why we do things a certain way.

Thanks for your input, very much valued.
    Wow, I agree so much with what you said!
    I find myself doing the same thing and it was the bad experiences with poor co workers/teachers with bad attitudes and sometimes bad intentions that taught me to be the opposite with others whenever I’m in a position of training or teaching someone else. I mean aren’t things a whole lot better when everyones comfortable and in a good mood with the situation?

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345