autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    I've come to the conclusion it is hair shampoo..LOL
    Certainly smells like it

If I only had hair I could try it out

2. Likes Bosko, Eldorado2k, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I bought a bottle a few months ago because I had ran out of CG Honey Dew. When I poured it out, I was expecting it to have the consitency of any liquid soap, but it was actually more gel-like. Chunky, even.

Is this weird? Still works the same! I was just surprised...
    I guess it’s a notch below honey Product Recommendation

The Gold Glass scent brings back memories of way back. Good suds. Good stuff.

4. Likes chilly, Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wish Gold Class cleans well; it didn't for me but that was over 20 years ago or so
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Good recommendations....

One I could add....."Knowledge"
    If you could take the time to show him some tips..tricks....do's and don'ts
    Education....the best gift ever...
    So true. That's why I started the thread for my new polishing equipment asking about pads and such. Recommendations from folks with KNOWLEDGE that I do not yet have. We can recommend products but for each one, if no/little prior experience, much explaining will need done in person

YouTube is also great for at least getting some "classroom" time in. Nothing beats hands-on of course.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

8. Likes Bosko, chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I have made the offer to his mother, just have to find a time when all of our schedules line up. With the holidays coming, I'm hoping to find some time to spend a few hours teaching him how to do it correctly.

He's a good kid, I sense an element of admiration from him which is a bit of a foreign concept for me. I don't have kids and probably never will so having someone to teach will be a new experience for both of us.
    Sounds like you guys could have a great time together and he will more than likely appreciate the effort to teach on your part.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

10. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I just wish Gold Class cleans well; it didn't for me but that was over 20 years ago or so
    I have used it for 15+ years and finally came to the conclusion that it DOESN"T clean that well

It is awesome on a dusty car because to me it is so slick and has so many protectants in that the mitt glides over the paint and you would have to try to scratch it

Having said that, anything more bonded than loose dust is a bit of a challenge

I honestly loved it in Alaska more than here in Hawaii and it may simply be down to differences in the water

Water in both places is rock hard but in Alaska it was well water and here it's a municipal water system

Obviously it is possible they changed or "improved" it because others still seem to like it but I will be sending back some stronger stuff when I return from the holidays

12. Likes vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    One of my work colleagues has a 16 year old son who has just got his first car. It's a manual 2007 Holden Barina (Chevy Aveo), nothing particularly exciting but I'm sure everyone remembers that feeling of getting your first car.

The kid has not had a fatherly presence for much of his life. I was thinking it would be nice to give him something to maintain the car as gift, and perhaps infect him with the detailing disease.

His mother is getting him a few things for Christmas (on my recommendations) so I had intentions of something like P&S Bead Maker or Paint Gloss. I know Bead Maker can be a bit tricky to use and considering his lack of experience I don't want to discourage him, hence the thought of Paint Gloss as it's easier to work with.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
    Apologies for getting away from your original question

Unless the mom is planning on getting an LSP based on your input, maybe that would be a good foundation product for him (no pun intended)

Your selections may be limited in OZ but how about a good OTC product like Hybrid Solutions or something where he can stay with a family of products as his knowledge base grows

14. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I have used it for 15+ years and finally came to the conclusion that it DOESN"T clean that well

It is awesome on a dusty car because to me it is so slick and has so many protectants in that the mitt glides over the paint and you would have to try to scratch it

Having said that, anything more bonded than loose dust is a bit of a challenge

I honestly loved it in Alaska more than here in Hawaii and it may simply be down to differences in the water

Water in both places is rock hard but in Alaska it was well water and here it's a municipal water system

Obviously it is possible they changed or "improved" it because others still seem to like it but I will be sending back some stronger stuff when I return from the holidays
    This is something I learned about this year. The soaps I've been using seem to clean, but they really don't. They're great for getting dusty stuff off as you had mentioned (pollen!!), but anything other than that and I've found myself really rubbing over spots to get them off. That's an unsettling feeling to me. Without applying pressure, I'm not sure I could ever get some of the more stubborn things off just by gliding a mitt over it. Maybe I could, but it would take like 3x as long to wash my car.

I guess it's time for Hyper Wash? Soaps that are good detergents and can actually CLEAN don't necessarily remove LSP or things like that, right?

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something I learned about this year. The soaps I've been using seem to clean, but they really don't. They're great for getting dusty stuff off as you had mentioned (pollen!!), but anything other than that and I've found myself really rubbing over spots to get them off. That's an unsettling feeling to me. Without applying pressure, I'm not sure I could ever get some of the more stubborn things off just by gliding a mitt over it. Maybe I could, but it would take like 3x as long to wash my car.

I guess it's time for Hyper Wash? Soaps that are good detergents and can actually CLEAN don't necessarily remove LSP or things like that, right?
    You have to be an Olympic athlete to wash my cars....2 mile dirt roads leading in and out of my place..
    There is no such thing as a touchless wash...lol

18. Likes chilly, vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100%

I’m going to try Hyperwash as well

I hate spot cleaning paint with an AP spray or the equivalent if I can avoid it

I do pretreat with a real strong soap mix if I see spots ahead of time but I don’t always catch them and I don’t like spraying on my drying aid only to see something I missed

That’s happening too often with Gold Class

Based on what I have read here Hyperwash is strong but still considered a maintenance wash and shouldn’t strip waxes and sealants

If anyone thinks differently please speak up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast