autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Upgrade DA unit??

I was given a PC DA buffer that is one of the original units not the XP but it was upgraded with a 5" backing plate and several Chem guys hex logic pads. I am looking to maintain my black truck and wife's dark blue van. Will I be able to get good results with this setup or should I step up to a G9? I am also curious what pads and products people like. I was given the trial pack of compounds from chem guys also but haven't tried any of it yet.

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrade DA unit??

Sounds like you got hooked up with all you need to start for sure.
    I would do a test on the top of the van with different combinations or (pads & polishes) to see what works.
    You have a giant canvas that nobody really sees...you have it made to have fun to test and learn...

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of correction are trying to achieve? Also, are you looking to spend money....if so, whats your round about budget? Or are you just going to try to make do with what machine/products you have?

There's real no point in giving a laundry list of good or favorite pads,compounds/polishes and LSP's if you are not looking to purchase any of it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess as far as type of correction I am not sure I understand what you are asking. I have the usual swirls and light scratches from people running there hands on a dirty vehicle. I want the scratches to be gone, I want to keep the vehicles looking there best. If I can use the DA I have and just add to my equipment for it I would be fine with that. I have never done any paint correction in the past so I don't know what all I am going to need more than what I have for the current DA. I do have MF towels for drying and wax removal tasks. I have the 2 bucket setup with a pressure washer on the way with cannon. The products I have are mainly over the counter items from Wallyworld and autozone. I do have some basic cleaning items from Adam's as well that was given to be through work.
    I am not sure if that answers your questions or not. For any additional items I would like to stay under the $400.00 with or without a different DA.

I have access to some used body panels to test things out on also if that would be advisable for training.

Post Thanks / Like

read post#2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    I have access to some used body panels to test things out on also if that would be advisable for training.
    This is always a good idea in my book, regardless of your skill level

The only way to learn to polish paint is to polish paint

It sounds like you have most everything you need except for time behind a machine

This will accomplish that with minimal cost and no risk to your rides

You will quickly learn the limits of your current setup and THEN you will be able to answer your own question

9. Likes opie, Bosko, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    I am not sure if that answers your questions or not.
    Yes that answers it perfectly. I would do as chilly and bosko advised. Time behind the machine, with the products you have.

You will learn the skills of machine polishing, also the products/machine pros and cons and limitations. If afterwards you feel you need better results, You will then be able to come on here and do more product research and then make a decision what is the best products you may need to purchase based on others experience with said products.

We all have been in your shoes when it comes to experience. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Welcome to the rabbit hole lol

Best of luck, you have come to the right place for research/help

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it is worth I started with a pre XP PC and used it for years, finally destroying it keeping up a motorhome

I did a lot of correction with that unit as a hobbyist, not in a professional setting

I still have an an XP PC and in all honesty it sees more work than my Rupes 15

It isn't glamorous but it gets the job done

Take your time and use appropriate products and methods and you will be just fine with what you have

13. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the other guys have stated, I'd just go with what you have to start.

The PC is a very capable machine, and once you get your paint in good shape (and keep it that way with proper washing/drying techniques), you should have very little correcting to do in the future.

Find out what you can/can't do with the pads/products you have now, and then come back with your questions afterward.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes chilly liked this post