autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Griont's G9

I have the GG6. It has worked fine for me but it struggles on curved panels, particularly concave panels. It should be here in a few days and I'll report back on how it does on the Boxster panels. The Boxster has some scratches that need to be removed and it needs a light polishing or at least a paint cleaner all the way around.

Why not the G15 or G21? As a non-pro it's more important for me to keep the pad spinning. I think the G9 has the best chance of doing this on for me. The G15 or G21 would give me more throw on big flat panels. That's not a problem I need to solve. I'm trying to keep the pad moving on curved panels and want to avoid going to a forced rotation polisher if possible.

I may turn my GG6 into a 3" pad machine. If I recall it has issues keeping a 3" pad spinning as well, but I'll give it some time to see how it does.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Likes Bosko, MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a Griont's G9

Congrats....I love mine

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it works for you. I like mine but also have the G8 for the curvier spots. Are you planning to go with the 5" backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be happy with the G9. As for converting your G6 to a 3" I see no issues at all. I have an OLD PC7424XP and converted it to a 3" DA and it works great. Stronger than with the 5" Pads.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you’re gonna dig it. I’d say the G9 definitely has felt like an upgrade from my GG6. I find I’m able to run it at lower speeds than I did my GG6, which makes for a quieter smoother ride.

I’ll sound like a broken record if you’ve seen me say this elsewhere, but worth mentioning that if you do run into stalling with thin 5” pads, try some thick 6/6.5” pads. I’ve found they keep rotation up better in intricate areas better than smaller/thinner. Seems counter intuitive, but that’s been my experience.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Hope it works for you. I like mine but also have the G8 for the curvier spots. Are you planning to go with the 5" backing plate?
    Yes. Already using the Griot's vented 5" on my GG6.

9. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I think you’re gonna dig it. I’d say the G9 definitely has felt like an upgrade from my GG6. I find I’m able to run it at lower speeds than I did my GG6, which makes for a quieter smoother ride.

I’ll sound like a broken record if you’ve seen me say this elsewhere, but worth mentioning that if you do run into stalling with thin 5” pads, try some thick 6/6.5” pads. I’ve found they keep rotation up better in intricate areas better than smaller/thinner. Seems counter intuitive, but that’s been my experience.
    Thanks. Will try that. I went to thinner pads because it seems like the thicker ones were stalling. Maybe is more to do with pad density or pressure? I'm still an newb at polishing, so I don't really know what works and what doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I had a cheap one from Harbor Freight (weekend warrior not a pro….) gotten addicted and decided to upgrade. Also picked up the 25foot cord and a 3inch backing plate. Can’t wait to try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscut88 View Post
    Nice! I had a cheap one from Harbor Freight (weekend warrior not a pro….) gotten addicted and decided to upgrade. Also picked up the 25foot cord and a 3inch backing plate. Can’t wait to try it out!
    Right. I forgot that I have the long cord on my GG6. Absolutely going to want the longer cord for my G9.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Thanks. Will try that. I went to thinner pads because it seems like the thicker ones were stalling. Maybe is more to do with pad density or pressure? I'm still an newb at polishing, so I don't really know what works and what doesn't.
    I'll confess, I'm no pro either. I think I stumbled on it when I was doing my wife's Q5. I was cycling through my inventory of pads (Griot's standard thickness 5.5 and 6.5" pads and 5.5 and 6.5" BOSS pads) more as a way to keep using fresh pads VS chasing rotation. I happened to be at the front fender when I changed and was surprised how the machine would just power that thick 6.5" pad through where my old GG6 would require attention to keep rotation up. I then played around and found that sure enough, the thin 5.5" pad that was gospel for the old machine just didn't work as well (for me) in that location.

I'll grab a photo sometime of the reflection of a straight light in that fender profile area - there's a lot going on. Thought I had one on my phone but couldn't find it.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast