autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a Griont's G9

I just purchased the G9 & G8 kit. These are my first DA polishers. The G8 should be good for small areas, so do you still recommend switching the G9 to 5 inch backing plate? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frog7151 View Post
    I just purchased the G9 & G8 kit. These are my first DA polishers. The G8 should be good for small areas, so do you still recommend switching the G9 to 5 inch backing plate? Thanks
    What are you polishing ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal vehicles. Wife’s Chevy Cruze, my GMC Sierra and my 1969 Camaro. Probably be working on the kids cars as well.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal vehicles. Wife’s Chevy Cruze, my GMC Sierra and my 1969 Camaro. Probably be working on the kids cars as well.
    Ok
    Well I switched to a 5"backer right off the bat when I bought mine, not sure there is much of a difference.
    Your pads will be a tiny bit cheaper in the 5" as well as a little bit easier to manage.

5. Thanks frog7151 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 5" B&S yellow foam backing plate for my G9 and it fell apart very quickly using microfiber pads (almost exploded on me basically!) If I had the money to get a proper 5" backing plate from Griots I would, but they are hard to get up here and pricey
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

What's the general, or preferred, speed setting for working with the G9? Has to be lower than the PC7424 which I think I had to crank to 6 all the time, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    What's the general, or preferred, speed setting for working with the G9? Has to be lower than the PC7424 which I think I had to crank to 6 all the time, right?
    Depends on the condition of the paint as well as what pad is being used also what product is being used..anywhere between 2 and 6
    Hope that clears it up....LOL!!!!

9. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have pads already? With the G9 I'm a big supporter of trying it with the provided 6" backing plate and seeing how it works for you. Everyone switched "short throw" DA's to 5" backing plates and pads back in the day because the machines didn't have the HP to keep rotation (thus correction) up. While 5" pads definitely have their perks, I feel they're no longer an absolute necessity for a positive polishing experience.

Related Side note - while common logic is also that thin 5" pads are better for contoured areas, personally I've had really good luck with thick pads (5.5 or especially 6.5) in these areas with the G9. Was a surprise compared to what I was used to with my GG6.

If you've already got 6.5" pads, don't be shy about trying them! If you're looking to build your pad inventory, I'd say it would be good to take advantage of the sales going on lately to get the Griot's vented 5.5" plate for the G9 and get some of each size to try. Remember, you're going to want to have multiple pads on hand (even if they're all the same) for paint correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I bought a 5" B&S yellow foam backing plate for my G9 and it fell apart very quickly using microfiber pads (almost exploded on me basically!) If I had the money to get a proper 5" backing plate from Griots I would, but they are hard to get up here and pricey
    That's a bummer to hear, but given how microfiber pads tend to run warm and how the backing plate is an integrated part of the G9's cooling system, I guess it's not surprising a non-vented plate would break down.

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Personally, I prefer adjusting speed to find the balance of pad rotation where it's not stalling out while you're working nor is the thing rotating (not oscillating) 9000rpm to try and keep heat down from the chaos that is Dual Action (by nature there's a lot of pad accelerations and decelerations happening). With the G9 I've found I'm usually running around 4.5 to 5. Side benefit is the machine is quieter when you're not running it full bore.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123