autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Show Car Wax/Sealant

I'm struggling on choosing a final wax (or sealant) for my garage queen rotisserie restoration muscle car. Paint polished to perfection (Menzerna 3800), medium blue metallic, clear is on the softer side. My priorities are gloss/shine/wet look, and perhaps minimal attraction of dust (if that even is a thing). Moderate durability would be a bonus but this thing sees very limited miles and limited waterless washes. Car sees a few shows per year that are worth it to me to use something special.

So far I've only used Meguiars M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax but candidly at only $18/can, I'm starting to think I'm missing out with all the talk about 3-10x more expensive choices. Should I step up my game? Would have no problem spending more (just not the stupid $200/can stuff). I am not interested in ceramic coatings.

My first point of paralysis is choosing between sealant (like Wolfgang Deep Gloss) vs carnauba (like Collinite 915), these two seemed to be at the top of my research. Putting wax on top of sealant makes no sense to me - just use the one that is better and maintenance it.

Any help appreciated, in particular not what you all use but why you use it. That being said, I am interested in what's being used on high end show cars, like for Ridler, Concours, etc.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Wax/Sealant

My 2cents. I think you will find the Collonite line attracts dust. WGDGPS does not when first applied. If its a garage queen, I still would go 915. Dust is easy to get off and worth the cost of admission for the finished look of a car wearing 915.

3. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mback12000 View Post
    I'm struggling on choosing a final wax (or sealant) for my garage queen rotisserie restoration muscle car. Paint polished to perfection (Menzerna 3800), medium blue metallic, clear is on the softer side. My priorities are gloss/shine/wet look, and perhaps minimal attraction of dust (if that even is a thing). Moderate durability would be a bonus but this thing sees very limited miles and limited waterless washes. Car sees a few shows per year that are worth it to me to use something special.

So far I've only used Meguiars M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax but candidly at only $18/can, I'm starting to think I'm missing out with all the talk about 3-10x more expensive choices. Should I step up my game? Would have no problem spending more (just not the stupid $200/can stuff). I am not interested in ceramic coatings.

My first point of paralysis is choosing between sealant (like Wolfgang Deep Gloss) vs carnauba (like Collinite 915), these two seemed to be at the top of my research. Putting wax on top of sealant makes no sense to me - just use the one that is better and maintenance it.

Any help appreciated, in particular not what you all use but why you use it. That being said, I am interested in what's being used on high end show cars, like for Ridler, Concours, etc.
    Thanks.
    *You may want to rethink this.

You can get some stunning results with this combo. Especially on a garage queen...... JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You may want to rethink this.

You can get some stunning results with this combo. Especially on a garage queen...... JMO

Thanks. And I'm open minded, I just don't understand the logic. If the carnauba wears off, you have the look of sealant. If you want the look of carnauba, they you're re-waxing. So you're still waxing as often whether the sealant is under it or not. Am I missing something? Is there something different about the combo?

Post Thanks / Like

I desire the look of carnauba above all other factors in a LSP and so I wax about every four months or so. I don't mind it To me it's the "main event" of detailing and it's what I like most about it. I use Souveran and Fuzion. I use Fuzion on my car that gets driven most and Souveran on my other two which are true garage queens. Regardless of what LSP you choose, do have fun applying it. To me, that's the whole point.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

7. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I desire the look of carnauba above all other factors in a LSP and so I wax about every four months or so. I don't mind it To me it's the "main event" of detailing and it's what I like most about it. I use Souveran and Fuzion. I use Fuzion on my car that gets driven most and Souveran on my other two which are true garage queens. Regardless of what LSP you choose, do have fun applying it. To me, that's the whole point.
    Do you ever have to clay that paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Do you ever have to clay that paint?
    I check for the necessity to clay about once a year. Didn't need to this year and if I did feel the need to, I would probably wash with Valugard ABC first and likely not need to at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I check for the necessity to clay about once a year. Didn't need to this year and if I did feel the need to, I would probably wash with Valugard ABC first and likely not need to at all.
    That stuff can replace the claybar eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That stuff can replace the claybar eh?
    Well,to a point. Can't nuke heavy contamination. You may have to clay during step B if you have heavy contamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,to a point. Can't nuke heavy contamination. You may have to clay during step B if you have heavy contamination.
    Lately I’ve been reaching straight for the Meguiars Red Aggressive Clay every time. It cuts straight to the chase without taking forever like everything else. No marring either. Love that clay.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast