autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Recommendation on shampoo to replace Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear as strip wash/tire soap?

Been using this for years, but looking to try something new for purpose of a strip wash and as tire soap.

With the current Black Friday sale, any recommendations for me to try?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendation on shampoo to replace Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear as strip wash/tire soap?

Did you mean you are using "Clean slate" by CG?
    I don't think their citrus wash is considered a prep wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendation on shampoo to replace Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear as strip wash/tire soap?

That’s what I used it for back in the day! Haha.

Citrus stuff in there hoping it stripped the sealant and any stuff from the paint.

Times have changed though. Any recommendations on what could fit this that AG offers?

Post Thanks / Like

5. Thanks Matador, Ochnob thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of tire soap are you looking for? Just a good cleaner or something to get all the browning out? i generally use whatever wheel cleaner I'm using on my tires, which works fine. For browning, I use Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner. Strong APC also works well. Tuf Shine works better.

I saw what appeared to be decent test on YouTube where a guy tried several products to remove wax that had cured for a day. The Adams and Chemical guys both seemed to do pretty well after 3 washings with 10 minutes of dwell time each.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried the other two but I was not impressed with Chemical Guys Clean Slate. I washed my dad's car with Clean Slate and the car's wax or sealant (I don't recall which it had on it, probably FK 1000P) was still providing some beading and while rinsing Clean Slate off, noticed all beading was gone so I assumed the wax or sealant was stripped off. The sun was going down so I called it a night to pick up on the detail the next morning. The next morning, I washed off the dust from overnight with 3D Pink Car Soap and the beading reappeared. I was stumped. I rewashed the car with Clean Slate, the beading was gone again. I was about to proceed with the next steps of the detail but then just decided to wash the hood of the car with a different soap to see if the beading would somehow reappear again. I used Meg's Hyperwash and the beading returned on the hood. I washed the rest of the car and it was beading all over. I was really stumped now. I poured a few ounces of APC into the wash and washed the hood again, no beading. I washed the rest of the car with the wash/APC mix and no beading at all. I made up another bucket of 3D Car Soap and washed the roof, no beading. The only thing I could guess was that Clean Slate was not stripping, just leaving something behind that prevented beading.

The next weekend I tested Clean Slate on my car which had a pretty fresh application of FK 1000P. No beading, washed again with 3D Pink Soap. Beading returned and the FK 1000P lasted for several more months with regular 3D Pink Soap maintenance washes every week or two. I am tempted to dig through my old supplies to see if I can find the bottle of Clean Slate and try it on a recently coated car. If Clean Slate removes the beading on a coated car, that should confirm my assumption that it leaves something on the surface.

I now just use a wash/APC mix to strip. I know Koch Chemie and Bilt Hamber both have very highly regarded strip washes but in my mind, I cannot figure out what they do that a wash/APC mix will not do. If anyone can think of something, please reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Been using this for years, but looking to try something new for purpose of a strip wash and as tire soap.

With the current Black Friday sale, any recommendations for me to try?
    If you still want to use Chemical Guys Citrus Red, this is now made for and bottled by Obsessed Garage, this time purple in color.

Otherwise, I love Carpro Lift and Descale for this role.

Post Thanks / Like

Mckee’s coating prep soap works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk