autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Silica Spray Sealants - pros and cons

I noticed not many on here like the silica spray sealants (Wet Coat/Hydro etc.). Is there anyone on here that has used one and never looked back? I did notice that washing really hits these products hard, diminishing their performance rather quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silica Spray Sealants - pros and cons

My experience is if it goes on with water, it comes off easy with water Long term I think you have to take something like a blackfire Si02 spray sealant that you wipe on . or 303 graphene or reload/elixir, to get moderate longevity.
    Glen -

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I noticed not many on here like the silica spray sealants (Wet Coat/Hydro etc.). Is there anyone on here that has used one and never looked back? When I was using Wet Coat, I missed putting a product by hand on the paint. But at times I think how easy to use they are and the fact that you're not touching the paint as much, which I see as a positive. For as much as I wash my car, durability is never a major concern of mine.

Is it true that long term use of these products can leave a haziness to the paint? What other negatives are there to these products? I read past reviews and even one member SWETM said the self-cleaning of Wet Coat was really good.

When I used Wet Coat, I'd apply it initially by spreading it around using a mf towel or applicator. From there on, I'd use a little after each wash keeping the hydrophobicity at a high level, which allowed me to airdry the car with ease.

I did notice that washing really hits these products hard, diminishing their performance rather quickly.
    The application process was the hardest for me to learn. In the beginning i was appling to much and was a PITA to apply/wipe off. The microfiber towel or any applicator would become so tacky and want to stick to the surface.

After some time behind the spray bottle i found that the less product used the better and easier the entire process was.

I do still use it and i get 4-6 months of protection from it. I use it as a coating topper and a standalone product, so im able to get accurate durability claims from non coated vehicle.

The water behavior and durability is why i keep using it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5. Likes CleanIT, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, I never once had an issue with streaking when using Wet Coat. And at times I sprayed it quite liberally, far beyond the 2 sprays per panel they suggest. I always did it in the shade when paint was cool to the touch. Not sure if that is what made the difference or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    For some reason, I never once had an issue with streaking when using Wet Coat. And at times I sprayed it quite liberally, far beyond the 2 sprays per panel they suggest. I always did it in the shade when paint was cool to the touch. Not sure if that is what made the difference or not.
    Might have, not sure if its brand specific but i did find that if i used a silica spray in the sun/ on a hot panel....it was a given it would streak.

Obviously i would never notice it on my silver vehicle, but our black ones were a for sure

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, Big Dave liked this post