autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?

I have wheels with a faded / damaged finish. I noticed they look great when wet; but when dry they look faded and have some streaks. So, I thought I would see if they could be improved before considering refinishing. I'd like to know if anyone can provide advice or has any ideas for how to maintain a good result; or if anyone can explain why the finishes end up cloudy or splotchy. At this point I may just be wasting time, but I'm mentally invested enough that I would really like to know why I'm not seeing good results.

Test 1 (Turtle Wax Paste Wax):
    I tried waxing a section with some old Turtle Wax paste wax one evening, after cleaning. The waxed section looks fantastic, so I completed the wheel. The following day, however the surface turned cloudy. I tried again during the day and it looked fantastic for a few hours before turning cloudy. I've never had this wax turn cloudy before, but I haven't used this wax in a few years so I thought I'd try something else.
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-wheel-start-jpg Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-wheel-test-1-jpg

Test 2 (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax):
    This is my first time using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. I put on what felt like a very thin layer on a section, and gently buffed it off. It looked fantastic for 10-15 minutes. Then, turned more cloudy than the Turtle Wax.

Test 3 (Meguiar's Ultimate Compound):
    This time, I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on a wheel by hand. I followed the instructions . I didn't spend much time at all, and it looked fantastic when complete considering the previous appearance. I don't expect this result to last, so I expected to need a wax / sealant.
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-wheel-start-test-3-jpg

Test 4 (Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax after Compound):
    I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax on the wheel after Ultimate Compound. It has about the same results as the Second Test. It looked fantastic, then turned very cloudy.
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-wheel-test-3-4-jpg

Test 5 (Meguiar's Ultimate Compound applied with Drill):
    This time, I took one of the wheels off the car and brought it to the basement thinking the warmer temperature may help. I made a drill attachment with a slit dowel, cloth, and a rubber band. I used the Ultimate Compound on the whole wheel with what seemed like excellent results. However, the following day, there was some splotching visible that was not visible the night before.

The bottom line is that what I used a wax / sealant, the end result was cloudy and not usable. I also had some issues with the compound, but it generally looked very nice when I started working with it.

Any suggestions about how to avoid the cloudy wax, or how to improve the final result [Without refinishing]?

Thank you, Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?

You definitely have to go the route of your test #5....cut polish and a wheel.
    The question is what is making the oxidation come back so fast...

maybe get a heavy foam pad with a metal polish like "Flitz"
    And then seal it with a SIO2 ceramic spay

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    You definitely have to go the route of your test #5....cut polish and a wheel.

...And then seal it with a SIO2 ceramic spay
    I understand the SiO2 ceramic sprays are quite durable. Before compounding too much, I'd consider trying a bit in a small section that I've already compounded. If it results in the same fading, will I have trouble working through it?

Post Thanks / Like

can you post up a close up photo of the issue you are having?

My guess based on the age/wear of the wheels, you won't get the results you are looking for.
    It might be a well traveled road to go ahead and have them refinished

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did an indoor test with pictures. I tried to keep them consistent, but the lighting is quite poor.

1. Before Picture (This is multiple days after Meguair's Ultimate Compound)
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-20211123_160213-1-before-jpg

2. After Picture - I ran Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on this section (Not the far spoke), and it looks excellent
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-20211123_160659-2-compound-jpg

3. Much After Picture - This is 5 hours after the After Picture. You can see spotting.
    Wheel Finish Faded - Restoring / Streaks?-20211123_213843-3-later-jpg

I didn't see the Ultimate Compound results previously fading like this, but I was outside and not looking quite as closely. If I apply Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, it goes cloudy within minutes.

[A separate question - Is there a way to upload higher resolution images? The system shrinks these down quite small.]

Thank you, Chris

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion... The finish is deteriorated beyond the point of no return. The finish has become too porous.

The improvement that you see immediately following a product application is from the oils in the product penetrating that porosity. The oils temporarily improve the appearance but dissipate over time.

Refinishing is probably your only option at this point. If the cost of a professional refinishing is more than you want to spend, you could try scuffing the entire wheel with scothbrite and spraying a 2k clearcoat on them.

Other than that, the only other thing I could suggest is to wipe the wheels with a silicone oil or "oily" protectant. They will brighten the finish and should last longer than what you are experiencing now. Maybe a week or two. Then continue to repeat the application as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

like 2black1s said...think they are done...interesting to say the least to have the spots come back.
    I would use an oil base product to keep them shiny

Try "BareBones" by the chemical guys...

Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray 16 oz.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    And then seal it with a SIO2 ceramic spay
    I picked up some Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax this morning hoping the different product would be somehow better. It didn't work (It appeared "faded" within minutes).

Post Thanks / Like

craziest thing I have ever heard/seen....again go with an oil based product, although your cleaning and reapplication will quadruple....IMO

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting to have to get these refinished, but when I noticed how good they look when wet I thought I should at least try to find a method to get them shining or at least not splotchy. I could clear spray them myself, but it won't be warm enough to do that for another 4 months; and I probably can't get them refinished for another 3 weeks.

I don't think I will try the oil based shining ideas since they involve more on-going maintenance. I need the solution to last a longer amount of time if it works.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to trying them in case they work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast