autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint protection advice

I purchased a new vehicle a couple months ago and did mechanical decon and put dgps and topped the next wash with sonax bsd as I planned to fully decon, polish, and cquartz the car this week. Unfortunately my available time has changed and I will not be able to get that accomplished anymore. My question is what would be better option to do with shorter period of time prior to the winter snow and salt. Options I see are wash with reset, mech decon and apply new layer of dgps and some sort of wax topper or wash with reset, iron x, mech decon and apply cquartz without polishing paint as that is the step I really wont have time to accomplish. I could order some other product today with faster shipping if recommended. I would have to wait till probably May before I would have time polish paint and coat with original plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint protection advice

II'd go with a ceramic/graphene spray at this time

Griot's 3 in 1

Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax
    Adam's Graphene advanced

404 Not Found - Adam's Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Blast around the car with a paint sealant or collonite 845. Speedy and great protection. I have no experience with the 3-1 but everyone loves that too. Another great option

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a beater to drive in the nasty weather conditions

6. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash, Iron-X, wash, wipe down twice with Kleen-Strip Prep All (avaliable at local auto parts store) then Gyeon Can Coat.

8. Likes CleanIT, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the end of the week the posts will read like this

Strip the paint with 800 grit, 2 coats of water based primer...followed by 4 coats of base topped with 6 coats of clear.
    Color sand and then polish with a 2 step to provide clean smooth base.
    Now top with ceramic coat allowing 7 days of cure without water exposure to the weather

10. Likes Jayfro, CleanIT, 627PCFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingweb50 View Post
    I purchased a new vehicle a couple months ago and did mechanical decon and put dgps and topped the next wash with sonax bsd as I planned to fully decon, polish, and cquartz the car this week. Unfortunately my available time has changed and I will not be able to get that accomplished anymore. My question is what would be better option to do with shorter period of time prior to the winter snow and salt. Options I see are wash with reset, mech decon and apply new layer of dgps and some sort of wax topper or wash with reset, iron x, mech decon and apply cquartz without polishing paint as that is the step I really wont have time to accomplish. I could order some other product today with faster shipping if recommended. I would have to wait till probably May before I would have time polish paint and coat with original plan.
    If I understand you correctly, you just recently applied a good layer of Wolfgang DGPS and then topped it BSD a little later? How long ago was this?

My vote is to leave the vehicle as-is and simply top with more BSD or a good spray sealant if you really feel the need. DGPS should last you a good six months and get you though most of the winter.

Re-evaluate what you want to do in the spring when the weather warms up and better suited for detailing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes CleanIT, RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The paint sealant that is on there right now would probably be just fine through the winter.

Could could apply a fresh coat, or order a bottle of something like Duragloss 101, which would remove the previous sealant, and lay down something that will likely make it through the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you just recently applied a good layer of Wolfgang DGPS and then topped it BSD a little later? How long ago was this?

My vote is to leave the vehicle as-is and simply top with more BSD or a good spray sealant if you really feel the need. DGPS should last you a good six months and get you though most of the winter.

Re-evaluate what you want to do in the spring when the weather warms up and better suited for detailing.
    Indeed, sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something!

15. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, CleanIT, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If time is short one of the MANY top shelf spray sealants will treat you well enough. So many options I can't keep up myself. For me if time is short I grab the Carpro Reload. Longevity isn't great but it only takes minutes to do an entire vehicle while drying. I can stomach the weak durability cause it's easy to apply every or every-other wash.

But, as many have said, it sounds like you have a decent layer of protection as it is.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

17. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast