autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy a ipa or make it?

So when it comes to ipa what is everyone using? Are you making your own or buying it? I watched mikes video on making ipa and he uses 4 oz of 91% alcohol. How long will this last in the bottle with water ? Will it evaporate over time? If you make your own how much alcohol you mixing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buy a ipa or make it?

I suspect you are asking about an IPA "solution". As long as the bottle is airtight you won't get constant oxidation of the alcohol, so "no". And yeah, you have to mix it simply because you don't need a lot of it for the task at hand. Cheers.

3. Thanks queens guy thanked for this post
    Likes queens guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I take a Windex bottle, figure how many ounces are in it and put in 40% alcohol and 60% water, it’ll keep for years on a shelf in air-conditioning. I have a ton of uses for it.Put me on the side for using IPA as a paint cleaner/prep… I bought eraser and don’t wanna pay for something that I can get with IPA. I’ve used IPA on every prep job for the last 15 years and never had a problem.
    Glen -

5. Likes queens guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a strong believer in purchasing panel preps over homemade alcohol mixes for paint. Personally (for me) if it is important enough, where I need a surgically clean surface PRIOR to applying protection, the financial investment of an appropriate chemical solution is minor.

7. Likes oneheadlite, fly07sti, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The question is.....what other ingredients are in a "panel wipe"....most are labeled as inert material which in my book is WATER!
    Why pay for water in a store bought panel wipe?
    Steer me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in panel wipes as I have always made mine...

At $5 a quart for 90%....it sure makes a bunch CHEAP if you make your own

9. Likes chilly, NightDrive43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    The question is.....what other ingredients are in a "panel wipe"....most are labeled as inert material which in my book is WATER!
    Why pay for water in a store bought panel wipe?
    Steer me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in panel wipes as I have always made mine...

At $5 a quart for 90%....it sure makes a bunch CHEAP if you make your own
    I agree with you for the most part but on softer paint, stubborn to remove polish/compounds ie product, climate or just out of the blue issues I think the panel prep offerings offer a more fluid wipe off. They seem to wipe off easier, I will say it’s best to use whatever solution you want as you go. I like to use the ipa before any of the oils/carriers have a chance to dry.

I also find my towels leave less dust on the panel with Erasure, for some reason when I use ipa it seems I get more towel shedding

11. Likes Bosko, oneheadlite, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I agree with you for the most part but on softer paint, stubborn to remove polish/compounds ie product, climate or just out of the blue issues I think the panel prep offerings offer a more fluid wipe off. They seem to wipe off easier, I will say it’s best to use whatever solution you want as you go. I like to use the ipa before any of the oils/carriers have a chance to dry.

I also find my towels leave less dust on the panel with Erasure, for some reason when I use ipa it seems I get more towel shedding

All we them to do is tell us what that other ingredient is....sneaky bastards...lol

Post Thanks / Like

What are you using the IPA for? If you're using it to remove polishing oils after paint correction and before applying a coating than I would suggest using a dedicated paint prep spray. Much safer to use and less chances of marring the paint surface.

Gtechniq, Gyeon, CarPro, OPtimum, Meguiar's, Mother's, Poorboy's, 3D, IGL, P&S, Marine 31, Blackfire, Wolfgang, Pinnacle Black Label, and DP offer paint prep sprays.

BLACKFIRE Paint Prep

14. Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, Rod73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Eraser is what I use. I've tried N-914 at panel wipe ratio but found it foams/suds too much. Eraser works well and smells great too.
    Bruno Soares

16. Likes Azure, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Prep is my Go To. There are many brands that accomplish the same thing. I have had great success with Gyeon Prep.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast