autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do ya'll like for windshield protectant?

Quote Originally Posted by van185 View Post
    Let us know the results on the Quick View
    Review here - Gyeon Q2 Quick View Review

I am yet to see it's water replenancy but will inform when I can.

Post Thanks / Like

My real issue is durability.

But I read that prep is the biggest importance with glass. And not just coating it, either. Glass is so dang hard, so it takes more intense stuff for coatings or sealants to work right and get to the bare glsss

Anyone try stoners glass stripper? I just got some during Black Friday. Going to use that on the wife’s car soon to see if it will make my sealants last longer after I apply. She says after using her wipers im rain it’s like if never was applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Anyone try stoners glass stripper?
    I have. it is not as good as McKee's pain to wipe off. Get yourself a damp towel and a dry towel to wipe off the residue. The included applicator is also not that great. The benefit is that it can be removed with water so just in case it touches rubber trim.

Post Thanks / Like

How often do y'all re-apply your sealants? I have a full glass care arrangement of griots stuff coming (glass clay, cleaner, glass polish, pfm glass towels , glass DA pads, glass sealant) I am thinking a monthly re-application on the front and rear windshield and bi monthly on the windows. Also should I use the clay on a re-application, or just clean with glass cleaner and a good towel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    How often do y'all re-apply your sealants? I have a full glass care arrangement of griots stuff coming (glass clay, cleaner, glass polish, pfm glass towels , glass DA pads, glass sealant) I am thinking a monthly re-application on the front and rear windshield and bi monthly on the windows. Also should I use the clay on a re-application, or just clean with glass cleaner and a good towel?
    i go a few months in between glass sealant applications (windshield and rear window) and i do use the glass clay before reapplying. when the ceramic glass cleaner comes, i'll probably try that on top monthly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I typically do nothing on the windshield due to experiences with the wipers chattering. On the side and back windows I've been liking ceramic detail sprays. I clay and sometimes polish if needed. I apply something once a month or a few days before a rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I've become a fan of the Griots. I'll do it every 2-3 months, depending on the "breakaway" speed, the speed at which the water droplets start to show some real movement. Once it goes beyond 35 mph or so, it's time to redo. I use my wipers very sparingly, which likely adds to the longevity of the sealant.
    Prep is usually a good cleaning with Meguiars or Sprayway and some fine steel wool, then a pass with glass clay.
    I also use the McKees Frost Bite liquid in the winter for frost or light ice. I'm not sure, but it seems to help the longevity of the coating, as opposed to using a scraper.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

What do ya'll like for windshield protectant?

Currently, there is Polish Angel High Gloss and after curing, a topper of Ethos “Resist” graphene ceramic spray.

It actually rained here this week and what is surprising is the water roll-off at low driving speeds. Under 25mph, droplets start going up the windscreen. This hasn’t happened with any other combo or standalone products I’ve used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    It actually rained here this week and what is surprising is the water roll-off at low driving speeds. Under 25mph, droplets start going up the windscreen. This hasn’t happened with any other combo or standalone products I’ve used.
    I swear that's one of my favorite parts of this whole detailing thing - when you're in a heavy downpour and you go through that speed transition where water is flowing down your windshield, goes zero gravity, then switches to running up off the glass.

There's also something therapeutic about watching the water on the front windows where the air swirls around the side mirrors so you get water running towards the front of the car.

Boy, I need to get out more...

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, DFB, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have. it is not as good as McKee's pain to wipe off. Get yourself a damp towel and a dry towel to wipe off the residue. The included applicator is also not that great. The benefit is that it can be removed with water so just in case it touches rubber trim.
    Was going to try this tomorrow. Oh boy! Sounds like I’m in for some work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234