autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray wax vs detailers recommendations

Hi I have a new car and looking for recommendations on 2-3 things. Car is volvo 2022 and paint is pretty good condition, no swirl marks or anything. I am looking for something I can apply to the car after washing that is quick and easy yet lasts about 1-2 months protection. I plan on doing a complete detail after winter so need recommendations on the following?

1- What is the difference between a spray wax vs Detailer and what can I use on biweekly basis to maintain protection ?
    2- After winter I will wash, clay, compound (if needed), Polish and then use a paste wax.. I don't have the garage or time to seal go back and finish.. Am i missing something either before or after polish? or is wax good enough ?
    3- I see some quick detailers get diluted, can I use this with a clay bar? would this also be good to use after a wash to protect just like a wax?

Here is a list of spray waxes I have been looking at.

BLACKFIRE Carnauba Spray Wax
    Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax
    Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax
    Griots 3-1
    Blackfire SiO2 Spray
    Optimum Car Wax
    Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution Wet Wax (Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax 26 oz.)
    Blackfire Carnauba Spray Wax
    Griots Best of Show Spray Wax
    BLACKFIRE Synthetic Spray Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray wax vs detailers recommendations

A detail spray is just for shine, while a spray wax will have some protection. With the advances in technology the spray waxes are lasting longer and longer.
    I have not tried the spray waxes you listed (I used Optimum Spray Wax as part of a rinseless wash in the past), but like what I hear about Griot's 3-in-1 Spray Wax, and will be recommending that for my brother-in-laws new black Ram Crew Cab.

I am interested to see what other recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Others can give you a lot more advice but I notice one of those is a SiO2 spray. I actually use a spray and seal or touchless seal on a Volvo. Paint is in decent shape and I have only done an iron remover before a wash and spray seal myself. I should do more as it hasn't always been cared for properly but what I do is good enough for now and should last months as it sits garaged and driven pretty minimally.

The spray waxes aren't likely to last as long and you'll reapply pretty regularly. The SiO2 stuff should get you more miles. I've been using:

Wolfgang SiO2 wash and Meguiar's Hyper Wash for regular washes (switch between these)

303 Touchless Sealant or Sonax Spray + Seal

To maintain between you can use something like a detail spray such as Sonax Brilliant Shine or maybe something with a small infusion of SiO2 if you go that route.

Again, others will be around to share better and more complete ideas but thought I'd throw out what I use on a similar vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Give the TW HS Wet wax a look. Use this as a drying aid after a wash. Been using it for a long time now. Fantastic looks and real protection. After one use you will see what i mean.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

5. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of that last you were considering, I think Griot's 3-in-1 would work great as your protection during winter and then you can do a detail in the Spring.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by queens guy View Post
    1- What is the difference between a spray wax vs Detailer and what can I use on biweekly basis to maintain protection ?
    2- After winter I will wash, clay, compound (if needed), Polish and then use a paste wax.. I don't have the garage or time to seal go back and finish.. Am i missing something either before or after polish? or is wax good enough ?
    3- I see some quick detailers get diluted, can I use this with a clay bar? would this also be good to use after a wash to protect just like a wax?
    Hey there, I'll try to answer these 3 questions you have, and to keep things simple I'm just going to suggest Griot's Garage products since they work great and many are available at your run of the mill auto parts stores... I promise I'm not a Griot's shill, I just like them and haven't been disappointed by them yet!

1: Detailer (Griot's "Speed Shine") is used to clean your car when it has LIGHT DUST like from just sitting outside for a day... not to be confused with a waterless wash (Griot's "Spray-On Car Wash") which can be used on a dirtier car that might have some road-film or is a bit more dirty. Spray wax (Griot's "Spray-On Wax" or "Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax") is only used when the car is already clean (no dust, no road film, etc). The spray wax will add protection. Think of detailer as a baby wipe and spray wax as baby oil... you wouldn't clean the baby with the oil. I recommend to keep a detailer in your trunk with some all-purpose microfiber towels for bird droppings and quick clean ups.

2: If you protect the car and don't do anything stupid like to go a drive-thru car wash, you shouldn't need to compound in the spring. For your spring detail, I would wash and clay as you mentioned and then I would recommend Griot's "Ceramic All in One" which is a liquid (apply by hand or with a DA polisher) and will be out in January 2022 and sounds very promising. It will take care of light swirls you pick up during the winter and also leave behind a layer of ceramic wax protection. To maintain this, you can use Griot's "Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax" which is a spray product that I mentioned earlier... I would also recommend you use this 3-in-1 spray wax before winter to apply some protection.

3: As for clay lube, I use Griot's "Speed Shine" just as it comes in the bottle. As I mentioned before, detailer generally doesn't apply protection... you'll want to use that Griot's "Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax" every couple months or so. I would recommend Griot's "Spray-On Wax" to be used as a drying aid.

Hope that sticking with one brand's products helped to give you an idea of the processes and product type differences... I seem to bounce back and forth between Griot's and Meguiars pretty often since I can just buy them at AutoZone and they work well. I have been dipping my toes into some of the more boutique products that you can find on autogeek recently too, but my detailing is really going to slow down during winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    A detail spray is just for shine
    Really?

9. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had great success with the Blackfire Spray wax. I can't say for the others as I have not used them. One thing I like about Blackfire..NO STREAKS!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I have had great success with the Blackfire Spray wax. I can't say for the others as I have not used them. One thing I like about Blackfire..NO STREAKS!
    Reminds me... I've used the BF Detailer as well. Infused with carnauba wax itself and very slick to hopefully prevent scratches. Not a bad option for a detail spray.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put 2 coats of 3 in 1 on and keep it topped off with their ceramic speed shine....

14. Likes RPPM, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast