autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber pads - your experience?

Looking to add some microfiber or foamed wool pads to the arsenal for my supa beast.

Going nuts reading all this, need assistance in making a decision lol.

I run lc hybrid force orange and white with mostly menz 400/3500.

Looking to have a backup incase i ever need heavier cut...mainly to chase after a rotory/wool pad after a paint job, and finish out

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like microfiber pads because they are so easy to blow and clean out with compressed air. Then I used the Rupes Blue Coarse Wool and I fell in love. Great correction ability and they finish down really nicely, much better correction and finish than a corresponding microfiber cutting pad. Then I bought the Rupes Yellow Medium Wool and I haven’t used them enough to really know what they’re capable of yet but they correct well and finish well enough to be done on some paints at least. The Rupes Yellow Wool may be a good pad for a one-step but I haven’t tried that yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I like microfiber pads because they are so easy to blow and clean out with compressed air. Then I used the Rupes Blue Coarse Wool and I fell in love. Great correction ability and they finish down really nicely, much better correction and finish than a corresponding microfiber cutting pad. Then I bought the Rupes Yellow Medium Wool and I haven’t used them enough to really know what they’re capable of yet but they correct well and finish well enough to be done on some paints at least. The Rupes Yellow Wool may be a good pad for a one-step but I haven’t tried that yet.
    Thanks for the info! And holy shat...they better be good for 22.99 a pad! I was fixin to buy 6 but ehh not those at that price right now.

I do like microfiber but have only used them in the megs d300/d301 and micro pad combo on their mt300 da...was a great system but i haven't used it since i got my flex

4. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    What polisher are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to update my thread now that I've used the Rupes medium wool pad. They cut really well! So much so that the original combo I was planning to use on this paint (pairing the pad with Tac system refinish ultra on alpine white BMW paint) was actually too aggressive and leaving a haze! I switched to Essence and I have to say it was a really good combo!

The wool seems to have more initial bite than foam but still finishes down very well. With this combo I would say I got at least 80% correction along with a ton of gloss and no haze! I was satisfied enough with the finish that I left it as is. Definitely I would use these pads again. I've done corrections on other alpine white BMWs using orange or yellow Lake Country foam pads and have to say at least for this application I much prefer the wool.

Also this is the first time using my Dewalt cordless polisher for a full correction. I love the polisher itself and cordless in general is amazing. Not having to worry about throwing a cord over your shoulder or your cord getting stuck on a tire as you walk around the other side of the car is awesome. If I was working in a shop doing corrections all day I'd probably stick with a corded polisher, but for someone like myself who does a handful of cars a year I would never go back.

7. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    One thing about the Rupes Yellow Wool that may not have been mentioned is they are a sheer joy to use

They follow contours on swoopy body panels like no other correcting or polishing pad I have ever used

They feel like the softest application pads

They just flow...
    There are two things I'm not a fan of with any wool pad, and that is:
    1. The ride.
    2. When the fibers break down.

With the longer fiber pads, they feel too "airy" or "pillow-y" for my liking. The short fiber (Rupes Coarse, LC Thin Purple Foamed Wool) are a bit grabby for me.

I ended up giving away my Buff and Shine wool cutting pads to the shop. I didn't find them to cut as much as I was hoping. I'd often revert back to the Uro-Fiber when using them, to get the cut I needed.

I still really like the LC microfiber cutting pads, but the foam interface in the Uro-Fiber has just the right amount of give and resistance for me personally. Who knows, I may just continue with the Uro-Fiber for their flexibility, cut/finish, feel and durability.

9. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I still really like the LC microfiber cutting pads, but the foam interface in the Uro-Fiber has just the right amount of give and resistance for me personally. Who knows, I may just continue with the Uro-Fiber for their flexibility, cut/finish, feel and durability.
    Uro's work good on the supa beast? Or should i try the lc micros??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What polisher are you using?
    Flex Cordless Beast (XCE 8-125) primarily. Also have the Flex Cordless Finisher but it doesn’t get used as often. Also have the wool in the smaller pads for the Flex PXE80.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Thanks for the info! And holy shat...they better be good for 22.99 a pad! I was fixin to buy 6 but ehh not those at that price right now.

I do like microfiber but have only used them in the megs d300/d301 and micro pad combo on their mt300 da...was a great system but i haven't used it since i got my flex
    Yes, hard pill to swallow and I initially only bought a couple of the Rupes Blue Coarse Wool but after seeing how much time they save, I bought more as well as the Yellow Wool. And definitely waited for the 25% off sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    There are two things I'm not a fan of with any wool pad, and that is:
    1. The ride.
    2. When the fibers break down.

With the longer fiber pads, they feel too "airy" or "pillow-y" for my liking. The short fiber (Rupes Coarse, LC Thin Purple Foamed Wool) are a bit grabby for me.

I ended up giving away my Buff and Shine wool cutting pads to the shop. I didn't find them to cut as much as I was hoping. I'd often revert back to the Uro-Fiber when using them, to get the cut I needed.

Good points. I had to change my workflow to work with the Rupes wool as they are different than foam or even standard microfiber pads (Meguiars, Griots); can’t run as long or take as many passes but ultimately, they save time so I got used to them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast