autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

best wax/sealant for very wet winters?

Hey there, i live in the Metro Vancouver area of BC. Aka very rainy for several months along with some snow here and there. Just wondering what my best bet would be as far as the finishing step? Was debating on collinite paste wax, but i’ve also heard sealants like M21 can provide a nice shine for a long time. I have a carport so i am te-apply if need be but i basically want the most decent shine that will hold up to heavy rains and frequent washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: best wax/sealant for very wet winters?

This will get ya through a winter

3. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am fortunate enough to get to wash my car at least every other month through the Ohio winters. Wish I could do it twice weekly and with the new house and garage, I just may get too. It really does feel like a waste of time more often than not, but, can't let the deicers sit for too long. With this wash schedule I can get away with applying Reload after each wash. It gets me through the winter A-OK with bi-monthly applications. Reload absolutely doesn't last the claimed six months however, a laughable claim really. Hence bi-monthly applications.

I got lazy in 2018 with my previous car. I had my GTI coated in January and decided to put it to the ultimate test right away. After first maintenance wash with Reset I let it go til April...don't do that. The coating was trashed and had spots all over it that needed polished out. So bye-bye coating. I was bummed, but then again silly me for assuming coatings were bulletproof like many early offerings claimed to be. For the record this was Ceramic Pro. I had few options at the time, and few local detailers were doing coatings those days. Now, many offer coating systems in the Cleveland area. If only I had my own garage at the time and proper facilities, it would've saved me quite a bit.

I realize I gave you zero suggestions for a winter-long protection system, as I personally haven't experienced one yet. Just gave you my experiences and some hard learned lessons. Currently my car has two coats of Jescar Ultra Lock+ and a month in it is holding up REALLY well. Water beading is insane and gloss ain't bad either. First time using Jescar, hoping for the best. I'd like to see beading action straight through February with just maintenance washes needed.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Polymer Net shield does a fantastic job handling water.

7. Likes MCarter88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather than recommending a specific product, in a bad environment like that I would step up the frequency of application of whatever you buy. For example blackfire si02 spray or 303 graphene protect very well, and I would put it on once a quarter.
    Glen -

9. Likes Bosko, RPPM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite offers durable waxes and are very popular for winter protection. I'd personally go with a paint sealant and maintain it with an SiO2 spray sealant.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.
    BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

11. Likes van185 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Collinite offers durable waxes and are very popular for winter protection. I'd personally go with a paint sealant and maintain it with an SiO2 spray sealant.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.
    BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant
    As a guy who goes through wet winters (although not quite as cold as Vancouver's) I'd have to disagree with you here, Bobby.

While WGDGPS is a great product, and produces an incredible finish, I know from personal experience that it has nowhere near the protection or longevity of Collinite offerings.

And while I have never tried the BF Si02, are you saying a spray-on will last longer than say, 476s, 915, or even 845?

Up here in the North, we usually get one shot at applying something in the late fall, and you are lucky to even get one chance at "topping" it. In fact, you are lucky to even have a day where any liquid water is available due to freezing temperatures day & night for sometimes weeks on end.

I know the AG house brands are pretty good, but I think you might be steering this dude in the wrong direction here given his location/climate, Bobby.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes WaxMaster1, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Down in WA so very similar weather conditions. If you don’t mind spending the miney Polish Angel Cosmic will get you thorugh the winter but the stuff is spendy.

If you can get to a spot above 60 degrees F and leave it garaged for a day or two, Gyeon CanCoat would be best

For alot less and good solid protection Griots Ceramic 3-1 is anice durable product. Will handle the constant rain no problem.

Also not a forum favorite but a product that impressed my through the winter was hydrosilex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone ever talk about Fusso coat soft 99(original formula) on this forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPPM View Post
    Sonax Polymer Net shield does a fantastic job handling water.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast