autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: best wax/sealant for very wet winters?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    For alot less and good solid protection Griots Ceramic 3-1 is anice durable product. Will handle the constant rain no problem.
    And easy to top with ceramic speed shine.

2. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    And easy to top with ceramic speed shine.

It's a beautiful thing....

4. Thanks dgage thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Paint Sealant is great stuff. Collinite 845 is a great wax as well. Can't go wrong with either!

6. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    As a guy who goes through wet winters (although not quite as cold as Vancouver's) I'd have to disagree with you here, Bobby.

While WGDGPS is a great product, and produces an incredible finish, I know from personal experience that it has nowhere near the protection or longevity of Collinite offerings.
    I can't speak for WGDGPS, but I have used Wolfgang's SiO2 Paint Sealant. Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant

I have a long term review of it around here somewhere. I found it to last longer than 845. I polished it off at the 6 month point to apply a coating, but it still had a couple months left in it. 845 would on it's dying legs at that point. It's also substantially easier to apply than 845.

For the first five months it showed fantastic water behavior very close to a coating, much moreso than something like Griots 3-in-1. If you are going to use a sealant in really rainy weather, the SiO2 sealant would be my recommendation. It's also slick enough to make wet, sloppy snow removal pretty easy too. It just glides right off.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I can't speak for WGDGPS, but I have used Wolfgang's SiO2 Paint Sealant. Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant

I have a long term review of it around here somewhere. I found it to last longer than 845. I polished it off at the 6 month point to apply a coating, but it still had a couple months left in it. 845 would on it's dying legs at that point. It's also substantially easier to apply than 845.

For the first five months it showed fantastic water behavior very close to a coating, much moreso than something like Griots 3-in-1. If you are going to use a sealant in really rainy weather, the SiO2 sealant would be my recommendation. It's also slick enough to make wet, sloppy snow removal pretty easy too. It just glides right off.
    I could see that, Nate.
    But he mentioned the spray Si02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    As a guy who goes through wet winters (although not quite as cold as Vancouver's) I'd have to disagree with you here, Bobby.

While WGDGPS is a great product, and produces an incredible finish, I know from personal experience that it has nowhere near the protection or longevity of Collinite offerings.

And while I have never tried the BF Si02, are you saying a spray-on will last longer than say, 476s, 915, or even 845?

Up here in the North, we usually get one shot at applying something in the late fall, and you are lucky to even get one chance at "topping" it. In fact, you are lucky to even have a day where any liquid water is available due to freezing temperatures day & night for sometimes weeks on end.

I know the AG house brands are pretty good, but I think you might be steering this dude in the wrong direction here given his location/climate, Bobby.
    Vancouver winter months are moderate with lots of rain and very little snow compared to the rest of Canada that goes into a deep freeze. The Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is perfect for wet conditions and will hold up just fine during winter months in Vancouver BC. I recommended the Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant for the added hydrophobicity during wet conditions. With Vancouver winter temperatures hovering in the 40s the liquid products can still be used. Nothing wrong with using the Collinite 476s, 915, or 845 waxes. They're durable waxes and popular for winter protection. I just find the WGDGPS much easier to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

We will see as I have a test going on 4 cars over a 6 month period in Michigan and Ohio with Griot's 3 in 1.

11. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Does anyone ever talk about Fusso coat soft 99(original formula) on this forum?
    It gets mentioned from time to time, but Autogeek doesn't offer that brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    It gets mentioned from time to time, but Autogeek doesn't offer that brand.
    I did a truck with it back in August....hard to work with and was streaky...seems do do great in tests I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like

After using 476s and 915 for years, I switched over to FK1000p and never looked back. Two coats will last through a northern IL winter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast