autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally investing in my own polishing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Consider standing where you are with the G9, the Perfect Finish, maybe get some Yellow Buff and Shine Uro-Tec foam pads (similar to Rupes yellow), and pick up some Uro-Fiber for heavier cutting. A great compound to pair with it would be Sonax Cutmax or Ultimate Cut. I've seen a lot of detailer's get a lot of mileage from Perfect Finish though. From cut to finish it has a lot of versatility. An unsung hero of the Sonax line is Cut & Finish. So much cut, and such a great finish. It's a true medium polish if you ever saw one. An AIO from Sonax I believe is called "paint cleaner". Not 100% on that one though.

For an AIO I really like 3D Speed. Works great on the yellow pads as well.

Hex Logic is manufactured by Buff and Shine. Great quality components and construction.

Someone mentioned the Rupes offerings. That's not a bad suggestion either. They have everything set up for you, and the polishes are extremely high performing. The cut and finish from the Coarse has been just tearing it up at the shop for me. I finally dialed in a process that eliminates a lot of the dusting issues, and the time saved is remarkable. Their DA Fine, can cut a bit, and finish a lot! The Uno Pure... It's so fine that on some paints it won't make a difference. I haven't tried the Uno Protect yet, because the shop where I work is almost always doing coatings. One of the guys that works there used it on a job we did together and it worked great. Seems to cut more than 3D Speed, and finish just as well. But - that's not to say you should go that route, just that in the future, once the Sonax and LC pads wear out, you might want to consider it.
    Thanks for this! So much knowledge I'll take what I can get
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally investing in my own polishing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ha!

I'm a bit reluctant to offer technical advise any more because observing the two other technicians I work with has been a stark revelation that everyone is wildly different in their approach
    Boy ain’t that the truth

People approach the same situation with the same materials and supplies and the same intent and go soooo far in a different direction in execution

I think that’s why people get mad about product or process suggestion when they don’t work

It’s not necessarily the fault of the person giving the advice

I appreciate the input and will store it away in my mental filing cabinet and hope to be able to retrieve it if the situation arises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes dlc95, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally investing in my own polishing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Boy ain’t that the truth

People approach the same situation with the same materials and supplies and the same intent and go soooo far in a different direction in execution

I think that’s why people get mad about product or process suggestion when they don’t work

It’s not necessarily the fault of the person giving the advice

I appreciate the input and will store it away in my mental filing cabinet and hope to be able to retrieve it if the situation arises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's kind of an "all roads lead to Rome" situation though. The jobs get done, and the vehicles look beautiful. The owner tends to give me the more difficult, heavily damaged vehicles. Or, he did. Since we got the new kid, the other guy stepped up his game, and I'm not actually needed as much anymore. When I first got there I was doing a lot of clean up for the senior guy there.

6. Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345