autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally investing in my own polishing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Rupes, 3D, Megs, Menzerna...so many choices
    I hate to pile on, but I've used BlackFire OneStep and really like it. Corrects nicely, wipes off incredibly easy and can be easily topped with things (I've used BlackFire Hybrid Wax).

2. Likes chilly, Jayfro, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the sorta information I am looking for. I'd like to keep it lean and avoid as much experimenting as possible. Gonna try and keep it lean!
    I ran into a situation this summer where 3D One wouldn't get the defects and I had to get a bottle of Jescar Correcting Compound but there will always be a situation that strays outside the capabilities of what you have on hand

You just wait until that happens and get what you need to deal with it

In retrospect I wish I had gotten a Rupes Blue Wool pad and tried that with my One but that didn't occur to me at the time

The path I took is one of dozens that would have taken care of the problem

I personally found that when I had way more products on hand I wasted more time and energy fretting over what I should or could use and just got deer in the headlights paralyzed at times because of TOO MANY options

Keep it lean as long as you can and whatever you end up with, use the crap out of it and learn the limitations

4. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes NightDrive43, PouncingPanzer, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the G8 to go with the G9 for my birthday this weekend. Came with some 3.5" Lake Country pads. Cannot wait to get these things fired up. Unfortunately it may be a couple months before that chance comes.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

6. Likes PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the G8 to go with the G9 for my birthday this weekend. Came with some 3.5" Lake Country pads. Cannot wait to get these things fired up. Unfortunately it may be a couple months before that chance comes.
    Nice....I got a g8 in Sept...going to use it today for all the wrong reasons

8. Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Nice....I got a g8 in Sept...going to use it today for all the wrong reasons
    ?????

You drop a big rib bone on your hood??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    ?????

You drop a big rib bone on your hood??
    connected to a 20 pound turkey

12. Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    connected to a 20 pound turkey
    Uh oh.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider standing where you are with the G9, the Perfect Finish, maybe get some Yellow Buff and Shine Uro-Tec foam pads (similar to Rupes yellow), and pick up some Uro-Fiber for heavier cutting. A great compound to pair with it would be Sonax Cutmax or Ultimate Cut. I've seen a lot of detailer's get a lot of mileage from Perfect Finish though. From cut to finish it has a lot of versatility. An unsung hero of the Sonax line is Cut & Finish. So much cut, and such a great finish. It's a true medium polish if you ever saw one. An AIO from Sonax I believe is called "paint cleaner". Not 100% on that one though.

For an AIO I really like 3D Speed. Works great on the yellow pads as well.

Hex Logic is manufactured by Buff and Shine. Great quality components and construction.

Someone mentioned the Rupes offerings. That's not a bad suggestion either. They have everything set up for you, and the polishes are extremely high performing. The cut and finish from the Coarse has been just tearing it up at the shop for me. I finally dialed in a process that eliminates a lot of the dusting issues, and the time saved is remarkable. Their DA Fine, can cut a bit, and finish a lot! The Uno Pure... It's so fine that on some paints it won't make a difference. I haven't tried the Uno Protect yet, because the shop where I work is almost always doing coatings. One of the guys that works there used it on a job we did together and it worked great. Seems to cut more than 3D Speed, and finish just as well. But - that's not to say you should go that route, just that in the future, once the Sonax and LC pads wear out, you might want to consider it.

16. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer, 1967RS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Consider standing where you are with the G9, the Perfect Finish, maybe get some Yellow Buff and Shine Uro-Tec foam pads (similar to Rupes yellow), and pick up some Uro-Fiber for heavier cutting. A great compound to pair with it would be Sonax Cutmax or Ultimate Cut. I've seen a lot of detailer's get a lot of mileage from Perfect Finish though. From cut to finish it has a lot of versatility. An unsung hero of the Sonax line is Cut & Finish. So much cut, and such a great finish. It's a true medium polish if you ever saw one. An AIO from Sonax I believe is called "paint cleaner". Not 100% on that one though.

For an AIO I really like 3D Speed. Works great on the yellow pads as well.

Hex Logic is manufactured by Buff and Shine. Great quality components and construction.

Someone mentioned the Rupes offerings. That's not a bad suggestion either. They have everything set up for you, and the polishes are extremely high performing. The cut and finish from the Coarse has been just tearing it up at the shop for me. I finally dialed in a process that eliminates a lot of the dusting issues, and the time saved is remarkable. Their DA Fine, can cut a bit, and finish a lot! The Uno Pure... It's so fine that on some paints it won't make a difference. I haven't tried the Uno Protect yet, because the shop where I work is almost always doing coatings. One of the guys that works there used it on a job we did together and it worked great. Seems to cut more than 3D Speed, and finish just as well. But - that's not to say you should go that route, just that in the future, once the Sonax and LC pads wear out, you might want to consider it.
    Well, are you going to spill it or make us beg, cause I can grovel with the best of them...

18. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Well, are you going to spill it or make us beg, cause I can grovel with the best of them...
    Ha!

I'm a bit reluctant to offer technical advise any more because observing the two other technicians I work with has been a stark revelation that everyone is wildly different in their approach.

But the short of it is to avoid their priming process on their wool and microfiber pads. I start with four drops on the wool, and eight on their microfiber. A little bit of pressure and minimal passes - no more than four. I treat their machines like sanders, where I used to (and sometimes still) use the Porter Cable like a rotary.

But because all of us have our own approaches, anyone's mileage may vary.

20. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast