autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Season of Discontent is upon us...

This time of year I try to squeeze in my last few hand washes before it gets too cold and everything freezes up. We too can have days with a 40+ swing in temps and the last couple of years have been very erratic. I actually hand washed our cars on New Years day last year. It unexpectedly hit 60 degrees for the day.

As for what do I do when I'm not cleaning up my cars? All the other stuff I've been putting off all summer because I've been working in the yard and maintaining our cars.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Since I now work from home due to covid changes, bad weather just means I use my car less. When I need to go out I use my wife's car

Last year all winter I basically drove the car a few miles per week and kept it hooked up to the battery tender the rest of the time. Never took it out of the garage if the roads were dirty or the day wasn't sunny.

In the past 18 months, my car got rained on 3 times and that's because I really had no way around it. It never was a garage queen but now you might as well call it that. I even adjusted my insurance to driving 4K miles per year which lowered my premium, I should have done that sooner. You may say "but then you're not enjoying the car" and I think that's fine, I'd rather not enjoy it then see it get dirty which means I have to find time ASAP to clean it again. I washed it late last week, and the weather has been crappy since. So it's been in the garage since, this week I think Thursday might be the only clear day to drive it
    The struggle is real! I can relate. I've been a WFH long before Covid. My last lease left me at just over 4k miles after 2.5yrs. I can't even justify why I still insist on AWD purchases...I suppose if I find enough possible things to go wrong I could see myself caught out in a blizzard with the sky falling.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

3. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In Texas I still try to wash once a week at least. I'd prefer to wash every 3 days or so. I do daily drive mine so 3 days is about as long as I can go if I want to do a touch-less wash in the driveway. Most of the time it doesn't get below 40 during the day here. I throw some sweat pants on and get out there.

Being from New England though, I understand the struggle. My family moved out here before I started driving/really got into cars so I never experienced it first hand. I do remember my dad and I shoveling snow and him looking at his motorcycle in the garage, seeming to wonder if it was worth paying for something all year and only using it 2/3 of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Florida and I avoid taking out the car during the afternoon showers. I give up trying to keep the glass haze free at least until about this time of year when it finally lets up. Thank God for my garage!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly it will time very soon to do the detail product shuffle from the garage to the heated portion of the basement. A sign that's it's truly over.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Sadly it will time very soon to do the detail product shuffle from the garage to the heated portion of the basement. A sign that's it's truly over.
    I plan to do that this weekend. The Camaro goes under the cover, the Jeep gets undercarriage cleaning and a Fluid Film application.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have a few items to move inside. I've mostly kept everything in the basement. I'm hopeful for enough occasional warm days to keep going for a while. Probably do some touch up paint this weekend and then winter wax in a month or so.

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to get everything out of my trunk pretty soon!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I only have a few items to move inside. I've mostly kept everything in the basement. I'm hopeful for enough occasional warm days to keep going for a while. Probably do some touch up paint this weekend and then winter wax in a month or so.
    Stupid question and I can probably go look at my bottles but if the garage stays mostly mild, it's fine to have them spend their life in the garage, right? I'll have to take better notice but my garage doesn't usually get too hot or too cold.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    Stupid question and I can probably go look at my bottles but if the garage stays mostly mild, it's fine to have them spend their life in the garage, right? I'll have to take better notice but my garage doesn't usually get too hot or too cold.
    I think that would depend on temperature range and the products. 303, is one product I know to keep from freezing. I got a bluetooth thermometer that I stuck in the garage so I could see how often it got below freezing or got too hot. It's often enough that's there's only a few months out of the year I'll leave stuff out there.

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast