autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Truck to be ceramic or xpel coated in (at most) 2 month, suggestions for stop gap coating

Hey All,

Need to pick your brains. I have a new Tacoma TRD Pro in lunar rock and I'm planning to get it professionally coated with a ceramic coat or in xpel or a combo in the next month or two. But for now I'd like to clean it and coat it with some protection. Would it be too much to coat it in some Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating, more so would it be easy for the detailer to remove when they do their stuff? Should I just do a coat of d156 or some other spray wax instead?

Just wanting to make sure that the detailer doesn't have to do a ton of work to remove whatever I put on. A stage 1 paint correction will be done when the xpel or ceramic is installed.

I do know I could try to just coat it myself too, but it's getting cold and dark in MA and also there are leafs flying....I don't trust the surface staying clean long enough to coat....plus I just don't have the energy to fully detail one more car this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck to be ceramic or xpel coated in (at most) 2 month, suggestions for stop gap coating

If your detailer is going to machine polish the truck, then he would probably care very little about what you have on the paint.

I would just use anything you have for the 1-2 months until then.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck to be ceramic or xpel coated in (at most) 2 month, suggestions for stop gap coating

I think on hand I have:

D156
    Collinite 845
    Sovereign Pinnacle paste and liquid spray

Maybe the 845...I just want easy to get it through 2m. I doubt a coat of the D156 would last more than a week or two outside

I'd go pickup some of the turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray (or Maguire's) but I'm hesitant it'll cause them a little more effort

Post Thanks / Like

845 would be perfect IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah whether you go coating or Xpel any decent or better shop is going to polish. I would use the Collinite.

If going to buy something OTC I’d recommend the Griots Ceramic 3-1.

Reviews better than TWHS and would be good to use for maintenance of the ceramic coating or PPF afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re going to do all this in a month then don’t put anything on it and just wash it. The paint is not going to fall off the truck without anything on it.

Now if you were going to do it months down the road then that’s a different story.

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post