autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

DA's Polishers polishes pads compounds..oh my!

Looking for some advice.

First, I have never used any compounds, polishes, especially with a machine. I live in a high rise condo and do not have easy access to power outlets.

I have a few paint chips on a newer car. Soft paint at that. I have bought touchup paint from paintscratch. I plan to fill in the chip (1/2 the size of a grain of rice) using Gold Label Detailing Fine Line Fluid Writer Paint Applicator Pen. From what I understand, I should do this in layers until its slightly higher then the surrounding factory paint. I will also use isopropyl alcohol to clean the chip first. Will be mixing the base with clear coat. Done some test mixes and found a good mix that matches pretty close to factory. Also have 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 wet automotive sandpaper. Will be doing the hole punch and gluing the sandpaper on pencil eraser for the sanding. I will be extremely conservative in making sure blob doesn't rise up to much to lessen the sanding.

Here is where I am struggling.... I will need a battery operated DA or whatever the gang recommends. It will only be used for personal use, but do plan on trying to do a 1 step, or more, of entire car when spring arrives. So need something up for that task as well. Also need a suggestions on what product to use on the DA (polish compound etc?) after I sand and suggestions for the pads. Don't want to over complicate the process but also want to make it look as good as I can WITHOUT screwing up the factory paint.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA's Polishers polishes pads compounds..oh my!

I’ve been using a cordless orbital for several years as I too am in a condo with no power at my garage spot. You do not need to overthink this. Look for a good cordless on the Autogeek site made by the reputable manufacturers, buy a few medium pads, Buy some blackfire one step and then whatever final sealant you want. I am currently using 303 spray graphene. That’s all there is to it ….I polish once a year, and apply my sealant twice a year. I wash my car in a touchless car wash bi monthly and everywhere I go , I get comments about the gloss.

A good cordless Orbital is going to cost you a big chunk of change. An alternative is, because you only have to do it really once a year, is get a good corded random orbital, and just use a friends driveway.
    Glen -

3. Thanks NoClue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA's Polishers polishes pads compounds..oh my!

Thanks Glen! Friends driveways is definitely an option. Already do that for oil changes