autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax PNS - multiple coats?

I do have BSD I use once in a while.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Will PNS look layered or streaked/anything if I reapply it to something that has etched thru?
    Thxs

What other coatings do you guys suggest that last as long and are easier to apply/use? I don't want to ceramic coat, not much up here to choose from vs the USA and other places :/ I was going to get Jescar Powerlock last year instead of this PNS, as it was about the only one I heard had decent durability like PNS, but the price was stupid high...
    What coating brands can you get your hands on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What coating brands can you get your hands on?
    Dunno, I google stuff I read/hear about...

I got a coat of PNS on the car today, and then it promptly rained with 2 panels to go (the forecast said sun/cloud & 0 rain all day and still does :/ ) So after it stopped for a bit, I ONR'd the car and it rained again the second I got my drying towel out. So I waited an hour and it rained 3 more times for 5 min each, just enough to muck up my nice job, but I got the last 2 panels done at least in that time... The sun finally stayed out enough with some cloud, and I ONR'd the car again and put another coat of PNS on the hood and trunk and roof (upfacing panels,) slapped some tire shine on and it's all pretty again. Lets see how long this PNS lasts now vs. the Megs UPW I usually use...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I like how this PNS acts. With my Meg's UPW water would bead good and fall/blow off easily. With the PNS it beads real good but doesn't move as much even with some air :/

I'm also very surprised by all I've read about how 'grabby' PNS is to buff off. I had zero issues with my soft 350gsm Detail Popo edgeless microfibers. Much easier to take off than any wax I've ever used in my life by far. I applied it with a red foam B&S applicator pad, left it for 10sec or more then wiped off. I was going to use a microfiber pad I have a bunch of but wasn't sure on the quality so stuck with the foam one...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Could be all that rain, ONR and application that did not give PNS time to cure properly. It should easily blow away that megs product.

6. Likes RPPM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Guz. I think the ONR is interfering. I have used both Ultimate Liquid and Paste wax previously. In my experience, neither is as hydrophobic as PNS. I put one coat of PNS on both my cars last week. While I was applying it to the 2nd car in my garage, the other car which had been done a few day before was sitting out in the driveway with rain falling on it. When I completed the 2nd car and then moved the car to its' side of the garage (this is a tight 2 car garage, so I pull out one of the cars when detailing the other) and pulled the 1st car in, just gently applying the brakes as I stopped in the garage sent all the roof water flowing down the front windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking some more on this, I had tried ONR about 6 or 7 years ago. It seemed to interfere with pretty much every LSP I had used with it, Collinites (all 3 of them), Duragloss 111 & 105, PNS, FK 1000P, and Megs Ultimate Past and Liquid. It seemed to effect the DG and FK products the least. Anything that had strong hydrophobics when fresh seemed to be impacted by the ONR in a negative way. I know in years past people that used Collinite 845 or even 476 and ONR felt ONR made a mess when used in conjunction with those two LSP's.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on ONR being suspect in this equation. I quit using it for Rinseless Washes because I noticed negative effects from it (water behavior fell off, car accumulated more road film).

I just did a wash on a car I used CruzsCarWash's method of applying PNS over an All In One (I Used Blackfire One Step) a year ago - was still going surprisingly strong.

Regarding towels, on that same car I did a Brilliant Shine Detailer chaser after the wash, and I too found it preferred a slightly higher pile towel for nice buff off.

10. Likes RPPM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I think it beads better (and smaller) then UPW but it just seems to hold it a tiny bit more then the actual wax. I was trying to use compressed air to blow it off. I've been thinking of getting a leaf blower to help dry as I'm in the sun a lot in my driveway and wanted a fast way to do it...

Would something like Meguairs D114 rinseless wash work better?
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Would something like Meguairs D114 rinseless wash work better?
    Yes, but that is no longer available. Check out McKees N-914. It is a great rinseless wash without anything else added into it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast