autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Help! Rotten meat under my seat

Picked up my deer from the butcher. Had to stop quick and frozen deer meat went everywhere. In my haste I didn't see 2 packs under my passenger seat and they baked/leaked under my seat for a solid day. Needless to say I extracted the heck out of it but no go. Still smells horribly. Guessing the liquid leaked in every crevice. Any advice outside of removing seat and carpet? I've been leaving doors open at work and positioning the truck so the sun hits the carpeting. About 62 degrees but not working. Maybe baking soda?
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Rotten meat under my seat

3. Thanks hoyt66 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You need an enzyme that will kill the bacteria that is causing the foul odor.

5. Thanks hoyt66 thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have to laugh about this. It's terrible for sure, though.

Back in high school my friend's boss got him a watermelon. It must have been small, he kept it in the back seat, and it must have rolled underneath the passenger seat somehow. Well, 4 weeks later there's this horrible stench of rotten watermelon. He basically could never get rid of that smell, it always had a hint of rotty watermelon scent for as long as he owned that Explorer. We still talk about that.

I think I'd rather have fruit than meat go bad in the car. Sorry to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that hard to remove a seat. If you're concerned, watch some YouTube videos.

9. Likes ddsski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    It's not that hard to remove a seat. If you're concerned, watch some YouTube videos.
    Pretty easy though the seats are likely heavy. The only thing you really need to worry about is if your seat has airbags. If so, you need to disconnect the positive terminal from your battery, then you can safely unhook your seat and remove it. You may also want to put a towel down over the sill to make sure you don't scratch it when you figure out how damn heavy those seats really are.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. I did order an odor eliminator and feel that it worked. My boss and I drive to lunch every Thursday. We took my truck and I purposely didn't say anything until we were driving for a minute. When I told him what happened and asked if he could smell any evidence he sniffed a couple times and said " Nope, smells good like always". So either the eliminator worked or the "meat juice" dried out. I've had my truck doors open with the sun hitting the carpet a few days. Actually turning the truck as the sun moved. Also dumped a box of baking soda on carpet for a day until the odor eliminator arrived. Worse part is there was a nagging voice telling ne to check under the seat. At one point I went to do it but the pass door was locked. No time to go around and unlock (10 seconds) "have to get to work"....Lazy more like it
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

12. Likes dgage, PaulMys, DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for a home heating oil company when I was a kid and they used to use a powder to neutralize diesel fuel or fuel oil spills from carpeting or basement floors. Sid Harvey is a retail outlet that used to be only available to people in the HVAC trade but I believe that it is open to the public now. Their odor neutralizing powder is a superb product. If it can neutralize diesel fuel and gasoline smell, it can probably take care of your rotten deli.
    F1-70_Boiler Chemicals
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

14. Thanks hoyt66 thanked for this post