autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

My process for selection?

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Trial and error, brand rep and reviews by respected forum membersWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??
    This. When available, I'll always consider the thoughts/opinions of members here and elsewhere I trust. I may disagree with them, but will always consider what they have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    It's not possible for one brand to have a winner in every category.
    This. I have no brand loyalty at all, and will almost always go with the product that meets my needs with little consideration for the label.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Strictly performance

I think it would be foolish otherwise.
    True. Although the best best performers may not be affordable and be as usable/easy to use. This drives you to other options.

I have a few products I really like, but often "stray" from that product to try out one from a different brand. Sometimes I like them better. Other times I don't. In the end, I've expanded my knowledge and experience base, which is never bad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how, I mis-read that title.

I thought it was asking *HOW* we choose the brands - not why.

That one is easy.

Do they work, and are they easy.

Post Thanks / Like

As a salesman, I appreciate that my customers are loyal to my brand and loyal to me. I tend to be the same way when it comes to the products that I use. For me, certain products are perfect for certain tasks. My favorites are Meguiars Professional line, 3D, Griots Garage, Wolfgang, and Duragloss (thank you Paulie). I will use other brands, especially ones sold here on Autogeek but I always seem to go back to my favorites.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We use the brands we do because we research by reading forums like this and bypass the Facebook flavor of the week hype. I have a pal who is always asking me about some hyped product he sees. I laugh and get him to move on and use the quality products already on his shelf.

7. Likes glen e, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past ~30 yrs, Collinite 845 has been my finish coat of choice. I used it the first time after a STRONG recommendation by my speed shop at the time. No white dust, indestructible, deep shine that lasts 6 months easy...including New England winters.
    I tried Maguire products then switched to Mother's 1 & 2. Worked great for years when I only had 2-3 cars. But, with 5, and newer technology, I decided to try an A I O. THE OLD Mothers all in one, think it was called complete died in 30 days. After using this forum, I decided to try Blackfire AIO and top it with either my COLLINITE OR try a new SiO2 product. I choose the Blackfire SiO2. Last year, I did my 18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio with SiO2 and the 16 Range Rover Sport with traditional Collinite. They compared quite well. Both lasted but obviously, the spray and wipe SiO2 was easier. This year my new 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster gets the AIO/SiO2 treatment. I will save the Collinite for my sports cars.
    I am a spring/fall detailer. Track cars may require a midseason buff to remove scratches, rubber etc, something SiO2 is useless at performing. GRIOTS BEST OF SHOW IS MY GO TO for in between touchups. Pinnacle is NOT better and more finicky to wipe off if a surface is remotely warm. This is an example of trying a new expensive product that is not worth the extra $$. Mothers Showtime was as good as the Pinnacle product. Griots has not been beaten for the price. An area, btw, where Meguiars was poor IMO.

WITH 2 BOTTLES OF COLLINITE 845 LEFT, I am set for several more years.....a little does a lot!!

My chemical side knows, for a large percentage of these products, they are all identical except for a methyl group or 2. Lots of hype. They all look good in pics when freshly done. Show me pics 6-12 months later on vehicles that leave a garage.......many of the overly pricey products are like Michelin is for tires. 1% more performance for 25% more $$$. 99.99% of us realistically will never see any difference. Forget your eyes, even magnified surfaces won't differentiate. The guy on YouTube that tests them all has done us all a major service!!!

Ardex 6226 Mag Wheel OEM is my wheel cleaner of choice. Strong stuff!! Spray wax great on wheels. May try the SiO2 on the RR 22s when I store for winter. That should be easy......
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

9. Likes John U, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    For the past ~30 yrs, Collinite 845 has been my finish coat of choice.
    I'm a late bloomer to 845. After reading about it...forever, I finally purchased a bottle and like it! It goes on almost as fast as a spray detailer. I love the long lasting "slick" finish.

11. Thanks ddsski thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    For the past ~30 yrs, Collinite 845 has been my finish coat of choice......
    This has been on my radar, added to list of wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    This has been on my radar, added to list of wants.
    I'd like to invite you to Colinite #476 and 915 as wellWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'd like to invite you to Colinite #476 and 915 as wellWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Honey, we are going to need a bigger detail storage closet"

16. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    We use the brands we do because we research by reading forums like this and bypass the Facebook flavor of the week hype. I have a pal who is always asking me about some hyped product he sees. I laugh and get him to move on and use the quality products already on his shelf.
    Facebook is the land of the loser
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

18. Likes PaulMys, BadgerRivFan liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast