autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    I’m in the market for picking up my first rinseless wash to be used during the winter months. Would you recommend DG-931 over ONR or N914?
    Check out Griot's Garage Brillant Shine rinseless wash Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes BlackCarBlues, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Check out Griot's Garage Brillant Shine rinseless wash Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

...or Feynlab WW, can be used as a RW tooWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

You already know I like Griot’s haha! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out.

Any spray waxes you recommend that work okay in low temps? Currently I use Meg’s Ultimate Spray Wax on top of my Ultimate Liquid Wax, but not sure how the spray would perform in cold weather. Mostly concerned with getting a streak free wipe off.

Apologies for thread-jacking!

Post Thanks / Like

You already know I like Griot’s haha! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out.

Any spray waxes you recommend that work okay in low temps? Currently I use Meg’s Ultimate Spray Wax on top of my Ultimate Liquid Wax, but not sure how the spray would perform in cold weather. Mostly concerned with getting a streak free wipe off.

Apologies for thread-jacking!
    Not sure about low temps because 60 degrees is the base temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Trial and error, brand rep and reviews by respected forum membersWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??

You nailed this one, Rog.

When I was a newbie, I would read TONS of descriptions, reviews etc. Even then, It was mostly trial & error. (I mean what product description doesn't say it's the best??) I would say my success rate was around 50-60% finding products that truly worked well.

After I gained a bit more experience, and made some contacts here on the forum, it was mostly recommendations I went by. I would say my success rate shot up to about 75-85% then.

Today, I have a pretty well-stocked arsenal of products that are my favorites/mainstays, and I am less prone to try new things mostly because of the many (hundreds??) of products I have now. But I will always listen to the respected members' experience/opinions with new products before I would even think of pulling the trigger.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes DFB, opie, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've spent years finding what I like and then I usually stick to it! I would say the only manufacturer I use multiple things from right now is DuraGloss (111, 601 and 253). But I love Gyeon leather coat on leather, I love Blackfire APC, I love Meg's D110, ONR, etc. I'm brand loyal within a given category but not to one brand! I agree with previous posters that Armorall and Turtle Wax stuff isn't super impressive.
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

For a long time it was nostalgia. I started on Meguiar's in 1996, and using their excellent products opened a door to the intense joy memories from those days, and brought them to present day.

From there it was curiousity. My first real departure was with Menzerna and Duragloss. I found them to be a departure in user experience, but similar in result. The two exceptions - 1. Menzerna always finished out with PF2500, and SF4000 (now 3500). Duragloss 111 out performed M21 in durability. So I felt I needed to add them.

From there it was Rupes. Again, mostly curiousity. What I was using worked well for me, but I wanted to try their system. I did, and it did work very well. Some of the polishes exhibited characteristics that I'm not a fan of, which is dusting. It also took a bit to get past the learning curve.

When 3D ONE was introduced I explored some of their line. Their polishes were really nice, and no dust. I still have a selection of their polishes, and they work well in place of the old and new Rupes polishes (I think I prefer the original Rupes polishes to the new ones).

ONR was a huge asset when I picked it up a few years back. I want to say 2014/5 was when I got my first gallon. I also tried their Opti-Seal and Car Wax. I didn't get how to apply Opti-Seal, and don't think I ever did back then, but I liked Car Wax.

Today's preference is Optimum and Jescar. A couple summers ago I sealed my car with Opti-Seal. When I did my first ONR wash with it, the dirt release was different. It was immediately apparent that those two products complimented one another. Fast forward to spring of 2021 I remembered that wash, and decided to get more into the line and see how it worked. That included the pads, LC 4000 pad washer and their line of polishes. While I'm still learning Hyper Compound and Intensive Polish to a degree, Hyper Polish and GPS are excellent. Car Wax, Opti-Seal and Gloss Coat all benefit from using their polishes and Paint Prep. So today, Optimum is "home base" for me.

For a more universal polishing set up, i use Jescar' s line of abrasives. They just perform beautifully, no dust, easy to wipe off, and no intense odors. I also use their Ultra Lock Plus, Ceramic Spray Wax, and because they have no coating, I use CarPro coatings in conjunction with them. I may also substitute Jescar Ultra Lock with Duragloss 111, and if asked, Zymol wax.

Almost none of my work entails interior detailing. I give every customer a courtesy vacuum and dash wipe down. But for interiors It's just ONR, Power Clean, and Leather Protectant Plus from Optimum. I also use Optiimum Opti Bond and Tire Coating for tires. I love both of them because they're not greasy.

Now.. The most difficult part of this is getting rid of the excess product I'm never going to use again. I'm giving some to the other detailer's at work, and selling some off on EBay.

I'm conclusion it is probably curiousity that drove my decision making process more than anything else. I could probably go back to what I was using in 2013 and be just fine.

10. Likes CleanIT, SNP209, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CopperMtnGuy View Post
    I've spent years finding what I like and then I usually stick to it! I would say the only manufacturer I use multiple things from right now is DuraGloss (111, 601 and 253). But I love Gyeon leather coat on leather, I love Blackfire APC, I love Meg's D110, ONR, etc. I'm brand loyal within a given category but not to one brand! I agree with previous posters that Armorall and Turtle Wax stuff isn't super impressive.
    Ummm I think you need to look again at the current line up from Turtle WaxWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others?? Without looking up your join date I'm going to assume your new here.

There's a number of great products from Turtle Waxes Hybrid Solutions line as well as ICE productsWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the market for picking up my first rinseless wash to be used during the winter months. Would you recommend DG-931 over ONR or N914?
    That depends on what features your looking for.

I like using DG 931 as a rinseless but it will leave Aquawax behind. So if your particular on "topping" your existing paint protection, then this may not be for you. If your ok with it, then DG 931 all the way! And the price is unbeatable!

I'll choose N914 over ONR. The N914 is a pure cleaner and is very nice to work with. I've been using a comparable rinseless product for just pure cleaning when I need it. Surprisingly it isn't mentioned often and goes under the radar. Its Micro Detailer Ceramic Wash Xpress (don't let the name fool you, its a pure cleaner). My gut feeling says its a little stronger on the ph scale (unverified). I would chose between these two based on which ever is cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Strictly performance

I think it would be foolish otherwise.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast