autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your MF towel washing routine?

I was out drying my car when I realized I think my towel is crap. It might be crap because it's from AutoZone, but it might also be crap because of what I use to wash it with.

I've been using one of those "free & clear" detergents in cold water, followed by medium heat in the drier. Think that might have anything to do with it? I feel as if the drying towel mostly smears things around, eventually leaving a very fine wet residue...which evaporates relatively quickly and all...but I feel like the "film" it leaves behind might have something to do with the detergent.

Thoughts or suggestions? Yes I know, I need a PFM towel like, yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your MF towel washing routine?

Yeah I think it’s probably your your towel. I’ve washed my towels several different ways; I’ve used a specific microfiber towel cleaner, I’ve used an all clear detergent, and then I’ve used good old tide pods. I really didn’t see much difference. Hot water, no drying sheet, med fluff heat. I don’t try to get decades out of my towels, I replace them every 18 months or so and on a drying towel, I think it’s very important to have one of the premium drying towels as they work so much better.
    Glen -

3. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Tide with no problems. It cleans the way it's supposed to.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep a bucket with a little Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer in it while detailing. Once I'm done with the towels I toss them in the bucket to pre-soak. Once I'm done detailing I put the microfiber towels in the washing machine with the Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner & Restore plus a very small amount of "ALL" to help remove any stains in the towels. Add some White Vinegar into the rinse cycle. Do not add any fabric softeners. Air dry or low temp heat in the dryer.

BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer

6. Thanks vaca22 thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Kirkland MF towels will get that way when they get a little bit long in the tooth lol. I'd say it's the towel, unless you washed with fabric softener.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Tide in hot water, followed by a minimum of 3 or 4 rinse cycles (until there is no evidence of residual sudsing in the rinse water), and then dry them on a medium heat setting.

To the OP... The first change I would make in your current process is to forgo the cold wash. Hot will always clean better. And then be sure that they are well rinsed.

I also have a theory that the TDS level of your water plays a role. If your water has a high TDS level as mine does (~400-500 ppm) those dissolved minerals in the water will eventually build up in your towels. This is only a theory and I have no empirical evidence that this is true but it does seem logical to me.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I use Tide in hot water, followed by a minimum of 3 or 4 rinse cycles (until there is no evidence of residual sudsing in the rinse water), and then dry them on a medium heat setting.

To the OP... The first change I would make in your current process is to forgo the cold wash. Hot will always clean better. And then be sure that they are well rinsed.

I also have a theory that the TDS level of your water plays a role. If your water has a high TDS level as mine does (~400-500 ppm) those dissolved minerals in the water will eventually build up in your towels. This is only a theory and I have no empirical evidence that this is true but it does seem logical to me.
    Low sudsing is 1 of the features of most dedicated microfiber detergents, specifically 3D Towel Kleen. It actually starts off with good suds at 1st but by the time the wash cycle is near its end mostly all the suds have gone away and done their work. You might want to look it trying it, you might like it.

I always dry on low heat.

11. Likes 2black1s, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Ooo, interesting point. According to my ZeroWater tester, our water is usually only around a TDS of 65-75. All I've heard is that cold water is just as effective, but in my head I can't come to grips with that analysis. I'll give the hot water a go. I'll check to see about the extra suds as well, the machine is a touch over 10 years old and might be starting to lose some of its rinsing power.

Thanks!

13. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of P and S Rags To Riches Microfiber Detergent. As others have mentioned, wash with hot water, dry on the lowest heat setting possible (dryer heat will damage the fine microfibers), and avoid fabric softeners. I also make sure not to mix my towels with any other clothes -I always wash a load dedicated to just towels.

The Rags To Riches keeps the towels in good shape and have even rejuvinated some older towels back into shape.

15. Likes The Guz, DFB, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    dry on the lowest heat setting possible (dryer heat will damage the fine microfibers),
    On my dryer there’s only a difference of 10 degrees between the low heat and high heat. I’ve tested and posted the results. Also as far as I could see & feel there was no damage done to my towels. Fabric softener sheets didn’t make a noticeable difference either, other than making the towels a bit softer.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast