autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your MF towel washing routine?

I wash with "Hot" water.

The reason I put parentheses around the word "hot" is because your household water temperature is between 120-140. That temperature is set by the factory (or your plumber) so that the dumbest among us do not scald themselves. (Unless you know how to access and raise the temp on your water heater, but that's another thread...Lol)

What temp do you (hand) wash dishes with? Do you not find that "hot" water loosens up stuff like melted-on cheese just a little BETTER than cold water? Of course it does. And that's not even "Hot" water.

So why would you not use your "hot" water to loosen-up things your MF towels collect?

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Thanks Klasse Act, Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now lets see those so called experts show us microfiber towels getting ruined @140 degrees. What a bunch a B.S.

4. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes glen e, Prange, PearTree, Klasse Act, 2black1s and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    ...Now for the drying stage, here's a previous post of mine...

So my question remains... Where did this general aversion to high heat settings for washing/drying microfiber come from?
    The reason I have done this was after the first time drying a bundle of Kirkland towels on high heat, I noticed that 4 or 5 of the towels had some matted areas that looked and felt like they had melted. I figured maybe what happened was when the drying cycle was complete, the towels resting on the dryer barrel surface had gotten too hot. That was honestly just an assumption. I didn't inspect the towels before I threw them in the dryer so technically I can't say if the 4 or 5 towels had this problem prior to drying on high heat. Ever since then, I've dried my MF towels using the ultra-low heat setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    The reason I have done this was after the first time drying a bundle of Kirkland towels on high heat, I noticed that 4 or 5 of the towels had some matted areas that looked and felt like they had melted. I figured maybe what happened was when the drying cycle was complete, the towels resting on the dryer barrel surface had gotten too hot. That was honestly just an assumption. I didn't inspect the towels before I threw them in the dryer so technically I can't say if the 4 or 5 towels had this problem prior to drying on high heat. Ever since then, I've dried my MF towels using the ultra-low heat setting.
    I have seen that with cheap MF towels (the type we clean stuff around the house with, not the ones I use on the car). They had a few spots that melted and hardened, you can feel a little chunk that now feels like plastic on those because the fibers fused together. If this happened to a towel to be used on cars, you can bet that would scratch. Perhaps only happens to lower quality ones, but just in case, I will continue to dry mine on low heat, won't hurt anything, just takes a little longer to dry.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    I have seen that with cheap MF towels (the type we clean stuff around the house with, not the ones I use on the car). They had a few spots that melted and hardened, you can feel a little chunk that now feels like plastic on those because the fibers fused together. If this happened to a towel to be used on cars, you can bet that would scratch. Perhaps only happens to lower quality ones, but just in case, I will continue to dry mine on low heat, won't hurt anything, just takes a little longer to dry.
    If that were the case, why didn't my test towel (Kirkland BTW) melt when I subjected it to a 415F degree iron for one minute? Dryers get nowhere near that temperature even on the highest setting.

Post Thanks / Like

If that were the case, why didn't my test towel (Kirkland BTW) melt when I subjected it to a 415F degree iron for one minute? Dryers get nowhere near that temperature even on the highest setting.
    I can’t explain but when I saw your test it definitely made me question what the heck happened when my cheap towels had some melting.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Good news, did a warm wash with Tide and the towels seemed to act noticably different; absorbed more and left panels less streaky. It's still not a great towel but it's better than before!! The other MF towels I threw in with it appeared to be cleaner as well. I think the hot(er) water was helpful. I made sure the rinse water was clear before drying.

So strange...I like doing laundry (don't laugh), but this is next-level stuff LOL

11. Likes opie, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Good news, did a warm wash with Tide and the towels seemed to act noticably different; absorbed more and left panels less streaky. It's still not a great towel but it's better than before!! The other MF towels I threw in with it appeared to be cleaner as well. I think the hot(er) water was helpful. I made sure the rinse water was clear before drying.

So strange...I like doing laundry (don't laugh), but this is next-level stuff LOL
    Try hot setting next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't explain either. I just went with the assumption that high heat was not good for any of the MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like

PB MF cleaner. Cool wash. Hang dry.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast