autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your MF towel washing routine?

My process is this. Normal use MF’s get washed in warm water with TK or R2R. MF’s that are use for polish or compound removal or ceramic leveling get washed in in double recommend amount of TK or R2R and a cup of white vinegar. All get dried in dryer on low setting.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to not drying on the highest setting also. While it didn’t melt my towels, it did make the ends a little rough and would not use them on nice paint.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like 60 C / 140 F may actually be glass transition temperature, not melting point. Not the same but glass transition temperature is probably not a term that many people know.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    My process is this. Normal use MF’s get washed in warm water with TK or R2R. MF’s that are use for polish or compound removal or ceramic leveling get washed in in double recommend amount of TK or R2R and a cup of white vinegar. All get dried in dryer on low setting.
    Now if there's a guy to listen to about mf towels...right here everyone, has a shed FULL OF EM'What's your MF towel washing routine?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

What's your MF towel washing routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Hot heat is a NO NO with mf towelsWhat's your MF towel washing routine?

A hot wash will absolutely not hurt towels. Been doing it to all my towels including PfM’s for 2 years with no degradation.

I do however believe it breaks down sealants in the towels has so far I have not had any drying aid towels turn hydrophobic.

I very seriously doubt drying on hot will affect them. I’ve done it a couple times to find what works best for me and there were no negative effects.

As [mention]2black1s [/mention] posted the melting point of microfiber components are alot hotter than your dryer will get.

Also lots of articles (i found one from Adam’s polish) that recommend boiling your towels when they loose absorbency.

If they can handle a boil they can handle a dryer. I felt the towels had a weird feel after kinda like they were too dry (?). Still prefer my fluff and hang method.

They don’t seem to be selling anything on this article and there are no links to products so i’ll post link to article

How to Clean your Microfiber Towels - Adam's Polishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    A hot wash will absolutely not hurt towels. Been doing it to all my towels including PfM’s for 2 years with no degradation.

I do however believe it breaks down sealants in the towels has so far I have not had any drying aid towels turn hydrophobic.

I very seriously doubt drying on hot will affect them. I’ve done it a couple times to find what works best for me and there were no negative effects.

As [mention]2black1s [/mention] posted the melting point of microfiber components are alot hotter than your dryer will get.

Also lots of articles (i found one from Adam’s polish) that recommend boiling your towels when they loose absorbency.

If they can handle a boil they can handle a dryer. I felt the towels had a weird feel after kinda like they were too dry (?). Still prefer my fluff and hang method.

They don’t seem to be selling anything on this article and there are no links to products so i’ll post link to article

How to Clean your Microfiber Towels - Adam's Polishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was talking about drying themWhat's your MF towel washing routine?

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    I'm a fan of P and S Rags To Riches Microfiber Detergent. As others have mentioned, wash with hot water, dry on the lowest heat setting possible (dryer heat will damage the fine microfibers), and avoid fabric softeners. I also make sure not to mix my towels with any other clothes -I always wash a load dedicated to just towels.

The Rags To Riches keeps the towels in good shape and have even rejuvinated some older towels back into shape.
    I really like R to R as well. Do you tend to use a bit more than what is suggested on the label? I used to run an additional rinse cycle when I used Micro Restore. I find that R to R rinses away better and one rinse cycle works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I always run a little more soap, whether it's R2R or TKWhat's your MF towel washing routine?What's your MF towel washing routine?

13. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    There's some conflicting info out there with regards to melting points.
    How To Wash Your Microfiber Towels | DETALKS - YouTube
    https://www.koch-chemie.com/media/co..._towels_EN.pdf
    How to Wash & Maintain Your Microfiber Towels - YouTube
    Griot's seems fine with washing on high heat if your hot water is 120F or lower but not drying on high heat.

I'm calling BS on the 140F melting point referenced in these links.

I did a little test to see for myself how heat affects the towels fibers and I found absolutely no discernible degradation. The test consisted of several cycles at temperatures of ~ 140F, 200F, 260F, 310F, 375F, and 415F.

I took a brand new microfiber towel, heated the iron to the desired temperature, placed the iron on the microfiber towel for a one-minute dwell time, then measured the iron temperature at the end of the dwell. At the end of each cycle I ran my fingers over the microfiber towel to see if I could feel any change. No change in feel was detected. I did this at each of the target temperatures noted above.

Here's everything I used for the test... Iron, Infrared Thermometer, Stopwatch, and new Microfiber Towel.
    What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_112055resize-jpg

These next three pics show the iron temperature at the beginning of the dwell period, the dwell period, and the iron temperature at the end of the dwell period. This was the first of several test cycles at various temperatures.
    What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_105939resize-jpg

What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_110040resize-jpg

What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_110106resize-jpg

These next three pics show the iron temperature at the beginning of the dwell period, the dwell period, and the iron temperature at the end of the dwell period. This was the final of several test cycles at various temperatures.
    What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_111517resize-jpg

What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_111624resize-jpg

What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_111935resize-jpg

In this pic you can see the towel following the testing. The lower left corner of the towel is where the testing occurred. It is somewhat flattened from the multiple "iron" cycles but exhibits no other change.
    What's your MF towel washing routine?-20211008_111752resize-jpg

My conclusions from the described test is that you can wash and dry your towels at any temperature you like. I will continue to wash mine in hot water for the best cleaning. For drying I will remain on the conservative side and dry them on a medium heat setting.

15. Thanks Bruno Soares, PaulMys, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, PaulMys, Eldorado2k, PearTree, vaca22 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash with cold water and Rags to Riches, dry on low.

17. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast